Tron 2.0 
 Gamespot Article

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
TronFAQ
Sector Admin

Gamespot Article

on Tuesday, March, 11, 2003 5:33 PM

Has anyone read the Gamespot article yet? It goes into a little more detail about the role-playing aspects of , and also what to expect from the lightcycle races.

The descriptions sound really cool. The way the skill and inventory system works is perfect. Jet picks up subroutines (skills) that start at an "alpha" version, that are inefficient and use up a lot of his codebase's memory (inventory slots). He'll be forced to pick and choose his subroutines, based on how much memory the system he's in affords him.

So in a PDA, there's very little memory, and Jet needs to figure out which subroutines stay, and which ones go. That will make for some really interesting gameplay. Dump the wrong subroutine, and Jet will find it difficult to move on. So there's some strategy involved, not just shoot everything that moves.

As time goes on, he finds ways to make the subroutines more efficient, so they work better and take up less memory. And his version number increases. That's a cool little touch. He probably starts out at "Jet v1.0", and the number increases every time he improves himself.

The way the lightcycle control is handled sounds interesting. You have to use both the keyboard (or joystick) and mouse. You need the mouse to look around and see what's going on, while you control the cycle. I wonder how well that's going to work out? I also read you can drive the cycles in both third and first-person perspective!

I'm glad to hear that riding the cycles won't be confined to an arena. You'll be able to use one to escape enemies and travel across the electronic world. Cool!

There's only one thing I haven't read about, that I hope is in the game. I'd like to see pools of energy, like the one Flynn, Tron, and Ram found. So far, all I've read about is that you get energy by defeating enemies. I think it would be cool if you found a sort of oasis of energy in the game, as some sort of hidden secret, that would give you an immense power-up. So you could do the kind of stuff Flynn did in the movie. Not to mention a shimmering energy pool on an electronic landscape would look awesome.

Can you tell I'm still as psyched as ever, about this game?

I need to get my hands on that article, in the Computer Games mag!

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

curtishart
User

Re: Gamespot Article

on Wednesday, March, 12, 2003 9:50 AM
Picked up the magazine last night myself. Great article (Wish it was longer) Although I think they unfairly bashed the movie saying it was weak plot, etc, etc. But after reading about the game with it's subroutines, alpha, beta and gold routines, etc, etc I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

...well, I guess I can. I really have no choice now do I?

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

Computer Games Article

on Thursday, March, 13, 2003 10:15 PM

I also picked up the magazine, yesterday. Lucky enough, the mag actually had several articles I found interesting, so I ended up not spending $10 just for the story.

However, as I feared, there was no content on the CD. I mean, what the hell? They have this big feature article on the game, and it's on the front cover . . . yet they put no screenshots or trailers on the CD? (Of course, in the PREVIOUS issue they put stuff on the disc. Go figure. )

I also noticed some problems with layouts, and numerous typos throughout the mag. Their writers (or editor) need some more sleep, or a raise, I think.

The author of the article (Tom Chick) obviously is not as knowledgable about the subject as he likes to think, because he misspells Encom as Emcon constantly. He also forgets the 'e' in Thorne's name. (Okay, picky picky. )

And if he's repsonsible for the sidebars in the article, he all but TRASHES the original film!

I mean, gimme a break! Maybe the movie was a flop from a financial standpoint, and not all that many moviegoers "got it". But he doesn't emphasize the other side of the story . . . the folks that loved the film. And he leads us to believe that , not geeks, but NERDS were the only ones who loved .

Still, despite all that, I'm glad I picked this up. Though, I too, wish the article had been a bit longer. Nevertheless, it filled me in on a lot of what to expect, from the game. I was also hoping for more new or exclusive screenshots, because there were only a couple in the article that I haven't seen before.

The most interesting part, was about the road the film script travelled, before it reached the final draft. I didn't know it was such a rocky one. The early drafts were supposed to be much more techincal and scientific, explaining what was going on in the electronic world, and how it worked. The characters also would have been deeper and more complex than they turned out. I guess everyone felt that such a heavy script, together with the visuals, would have been too much for audiences to handle. So the film ended up being much more light-hearted and whimsical, I dare say.

Well, it looks like they were right, because the audience couldn't even handle the look of the film. It just zoomed over the top of their heads. Now just imagine the script had been as technical as it was going to be. Then no one would have "gotten it".

Ah well, I can't wait for to come out, dammit. It is seriously going to kick ass. But I guess the extra time is being taken to make the game even better. So I suppose the frustration of waiting another five months will be worth it.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 12:30 AM
This shows that the editor, Tom Chick, needs to look at from a different stand point. I mean people still don't realize how much effort and work went into the film and what a big step in CGI it took back then. There is so many ways to look at . People like the editor will never be able to full appreciate the movie for what it is.

Nerds are the only ones that liked ?... HA HA HA!
Well I guess that makes me a nerd. I always thought I was more of a geek though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Melkor
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 12:46 AM
I picked up and read the article last night as well. I was a bit annoyed at the writer with the initial Tron-bashing he dished out at the start of the article, but the last few paragraphs were a bit redeeming.
The description of the game sounds great, and it just couldn't be any more amazing. I'm looking forward to Tron more than any other game I've anticipated installing....You lucky, lucky Beta-testing beyatches!where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 1:26 AM

Sketch Wrote:This shows that the editor, Tom Chick, needs to look at from a different stand point. I mean people still don't realize how much effort and work went into the film and what a big step in CGI it took back then. There is so many ways to look at . People like the editor will never be able to full appreciate the movie for what it is.

Nerds are the only ones that liked ?... HA HA HA!
Well I guess that makes me a nerd. I always thought I was more of a geek though.

Well, let me just point out that he didn't actually say we're "nerds" in print.

But he sure as hell implied it.

Part of the title of his sidebar on the movie reads: "The original movie was curiously bad." That about sums up his attitude regarding the film, and its fans, it would seem.

I picked up and read the article last night as well. I was a bit annoyed at the writer with the initial Tron-bashing he dished out at the start of the article, but the last few paragraphs were a bit redeeming.
The description of the game sounds was great, and it just couldn't sound any more amazing. I'm looking forward to Tron more than any other game I've ever anticipated....You lucky, lucky Beta-testing beyatches!)

Melkor, you're right: the article does redeem itself a bit at the end. But not enough, in my opinion. Bascially, it's positive about the game, but too negative toward the film. But where would the game be, without the film?

Ah, whatever. It's just too bad an article that's supposed to be paying homage to and the upcoming game, ends up bashing the film. I don't think it deserves it.

Melkor
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 2:11 AM
I remember dragging my grandfather to see Tron when I was 8 years old.....I must have made him see it 6 times....He would fall asleep, and enjoy the nap while I watched the movie.....I made my parents see it, I went to see it with all of my friends.....I think I saw it 12 -13 times in the theatre. I loved that movie. It was tailor made for an 8 year old with Pac Man Fever.
I really don't care what some writer has to say about the movie. It helped shape my future career, and I used it as a yard stick with which to measure other movies.
Now that I have it on DVD, I watch it every other week or so....even if it's just 'on' in the background while I am working. Call me a dork, nerd, geek or whatever, but Tron was/is an awesome movie.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

Check out this IGN Article!

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 2:15 AM

OMG, guys! Check this out! I hit the jackpot!

Just when I thought the goodness had ended with the Computer Games article . . .

Be sure to download the video clips! (Too bad about the background noise, though.)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/389/389347p1.html

P.S. Here's a little tip . . . if IGN says your download limit has been reached, go into your browser's cache and delete the cookie from ign.com. It'll "reset" your counter, and allow you to download more.

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 11:43 AM
Ah man what a treat! I'm still loading the others right now. This is so cool!
Man it looks awsome! Nice reflective detail they have going there on the game grid.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Compucore
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 11:57 AM
Yeah I love it as well. Saw some snipets here and there. Trying to download them onto my computer here. TO avoid THe hiccups of the downloads even with high speed. . WOuld be nice to see them in avi format as well. Lookgreat though..

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Melkor
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 12:24 PM
Thanks for the link to the movies.

Amazing! Can't wait.

flynn1978
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 12:42 PM
Internet: "Who's your user program?"
flynn1978: "I was simp..."
critical error in program's access to media files
SYNTAX ERROR-CORRECT MEDIA VIEWER REQUIRED
-ACCESS SUSPENDED
End of line
User: "Dammit!"
"Now if I had a direct terminal..."

"Happy is the man of reason who can face the world in season."

Trace
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 12:45 PM
LOL, flynn!

Thanks for the links! Those little movies were great. Thanks also for the tip on how to reset the limit, redrain! abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 5:03 PM

Trace Wrote:Thanks also for the tip on how to reset the limit, redrain!

Hehehe, no problem. I really don't think you should have to pay, to see a preview of a game. Subscription sites are a rip-off. I mean, it's a lot cheaper to run a server, than to print and distribute a magazine . . . you think? At least with the magazine, you get something concrete and tangible, professionally printed.

Well, after snooping around some more, yours truly has found even MORE interesting tidbits!

First off, here are a couple of sites with screenshots I haven't seen anywhere else.

http://scr.golem.de/?d=0211/tron&p=1

http://www.gamestar.de/magazin/previews/action/11352/

Then there's an article I found, that confirms there will be an Xbox version of the game?

http://www.gamesdomain.com//news/5399.html

I saved the best for last. I can't believe how old this article is, yet I haven't seen it until today. Maybe some of you have already read it. It's from Ain't It Cool News.

Now, normally I frown on AICN articles, but this one is so intriguing, I had to point it out. It says that the movie is coming out in 2004, along with another game!

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12608

Of course, I'm sure these plans all depend on how well the current game does. But if is a hit, then I bet Disney will move full steam ahead and follow through!

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

flynn1978
User

on Friday, March, 14, 2003 7:58 PM
Current status:
Internet: ACCESS INTO TRON MEDIA FILES--GRANTED
MEDIA PLAYER ACCEPTED
flynn1978:"...and good times were had by all."
User: "That's for users... Hmmph. 'C is for cookie' indeed."

"Happy is the man of reason who can face the world in season."

Xoxotl
User

on Friday, March, 28, 2003 2:22 AM
Gamespot has their preview up at http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/tron20/preview_6024035.html, but in order to view the updated multimedia, you have to be a "Gamespot Complete" (or whatever the heck they call it) member.

I'll have to settle reading your summaries. I took Gamespot out of my bookmarks when they went to this silly subscription based model, and haven't been back yet.on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 28, 2003 9:10 PM

WOW! The newest screenshots in the updated preview article are INCREDIBLE.

The article also reveals some new details about gameplay, it's definitely worth reading.

BTW, I think the characters in the first and sixth of the new screenshots (with the X's on their heads), are the "Resource Hogs" mentioned on the site. Heh, a bike gang in cyberspace . . . that's just too funny.

The only thing that sucks, is the video clips are exclusively for Gamespot Complete members. You'll never see me subscribe though, despite how much I'd love to see them. What a rip-off. At least IGN doesn't force you to subscribe.

on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, March, 28, 2003 10:25 PM

Well, whaddya know . . . IGN also has another updated preview of !

http://pc.ign.com/articles/391/391235p1.html

abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0 
 Gamespot Article