Tron 2.0 
 Platforms?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Pixel
User

Platforms?

on Monday, May, 05, 2003 12:32 PM
I've only heard of TRON 2.0 being released on the PC but my American mate reckons he heard it was due for the PS2 among others.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? To be honest, with my 33.6 modem and prospects of Broadband in my area dwindling, I'd actually RATHER it had a PS2 release, since all the internet benefits won't benefit me at all.

Luckily for me, I'm getting a brand spanking new PC in July, so hopefully I'll be able to play the game regardless.

So... anyone care to confirm or deny?

Pixel

-
http://www.dream-somehow.com

Nikster
User

Re: Platforms?

on Monday, May, 05, 2003 1:58 PM
I've not heard anything...buuuuut...I would kinda assume that it would at least be released for the X-Box (which is basicly a PC anyways).

I would not rule out a PS2 release, if the PC version goes over well.

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

MutoidMan
User

on Monday, May, 05, 2003 3:45 PM
I can see an X-Box port since the X-Box uses an nVIDIA GPU and will therefore be able to produce the "TRON glow".
Most likely, the biggest stumbling block to porting TRON 2.0 to a non-PC based platform would be that platform's ability (or inability) to produce the glow. As one of the Monolith employees stated in an interview, "without the glow there is no game."

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

Compucore
User

on Monday, May, 05, 2003 4:20 PM
Sounds right to me. The only other platgform that is able to do this is the X-Box itself. Since it's a toned down version of a PC. Without the extra features in it.

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

laphtiya
User

on Monday, May, 05, 2003 6:33 PM
It could come out on the PS2 as well seeing as there is nVidia chipset inside that as well which will give you the glowing effects easy, they will just have to lower the rez to get it to run smooth for the PS2 platform

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, May, 05, 2003 7:16 PM

laphtiya Wrote:It could come out on the PS2 as well seeing as there is nVidia chipset inside that as well which will give you the glowing effects easy, they will just have to lower the rez to get it to run smooth for the PS2 platform

Laphtiya, what makes you think the PS2 has an Nvidia chipset in it? Everything inside the PS2 was designed by Sony themselves, except for the Rambus technology.

I can maybe see the Gamecube pulling off the "glow" effect, but it would probably slow everything down quite a bit. And the PS2 is a big question mark.

PC video cards, and the Xbox, have dedicated hardware pixel shaders to do the glow, which the Gamecube and PS2 don't have. So the glow has to be done in software.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

MutoidMan
User

on Tuesday, May, 06, 2003 11:53 AM
laphtiya Wrote:It could come out on the PS2 as well seeing as there is nVidia chipset inside that as well which will give you the glowing effects easy, they will just have to lower the rez to get it to run smooth for the PS2 platform

Here are the more in-depth descriptions of the PS2's graphics hardware directly from Sony's website:

GRAPHICS SYNTHESIZERâ„¢

Pioneering Technology
The Graphics Synthesizer incorporates a massively parallel rendering engine that contains a 2,560-bit wide data bus--20 times the size of leading PC-based graphics accelerators. Very high pixel fill rates and drawing performance are achieved using embedded DRAM process technology pioneered by SCE for use in advanced graphics technology.

Unrivaled Graphics Performance
The original PlayStation introduced the concept of the Graphics Synthesizer via the real-time calculation and rendering of a 3D object. The new GS rendering processor is the ultimate incarnation of this concept--delivering unrivaled graphics performance and capability. The rendering function was enhanced to generate image data that supports NTSC/PAL television. The quality of the resulting screen image is comparable to movie 3D graphics in real time.

Superior Memory Access Bandwidth
In the design of graphics systems, the rendering capability defined by the memory bandwidth between the pixel engine and the video memory. Conventional systems use external VRAM reached via an off-chip bus that limits the total performance of the system. For the new GS, however, there is a 49-gigabyte memory access bandwidth achieved via the integration of the pixel logic and the video memory on a single high performance chip.

Nowhere is nVIDIA mentioned.

Maybe you're thinking of ATI's recent technology development agreement with Nintendo?

Besides the X-Box, no other current console gaming system is capable of producing the "TRON glow" as it appears on the PC. Developers may find a way to simulate it, but it will most likely be a poor substitute.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

Compucore
User

on Thursday, May, 08, 2003 10:20 PM
I think the only two things that will be able to play Tron 2.0 is 1 a good PC computer and the second is the X-Box Since that in either case you still need the nvdia chip set in tehre to have the glow for the tron game.

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0 
 Platforms?