Other Sectors 
 Upgrades.. A look back..

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Qix77
User

Upgrades.. A look back..

on Sunday, August, 31, 2003 1:51 AM
I remember back in my C64 days, and games for that computer never had upgrades, deadlines, etc..

I know... I know... Today there is a demand for most games and the difficult programming process is too large to play by the old-fasion rules...

I'm not talking about TRON 2.0, but todays games in general..

Anyways, I'm just looking back at the old days when there weren't room for bugs... A program either worked, or it didn't... Which also sucked because there were times I couldn't even load a game back then..

but today, there is improvement.... And the games rock... We have really came a long ways since pac-man and Cave Man Ugh-lympics

RCON
User

Re: Upgrades.. A look back..

on Sunday, August, 31, 2003 5:00 AM
Back in those days there wasn't a distribution(sp?) system like the internet. If there was, there would be patches! All software ships with bugs, they just didn't patch them. Could you imagine trying to patch game with a set of floppy disks!

The game industry is built on marketing deadlines. They are the ones who ultimately decide when a game ships. The presale pack for TRON 2.0 had a deadline for 8-26-03, and thats when it shipped. I used to work for a video game company, and the developers and QA work like animals up until the game ships, fixing bugs. For TRON 2.0 they probably had to ship it with a few minor bugs (most of which the normal player would never see) to make that deadline.

Why do you think they put out a patch so fast, not for the dedicated server alone, but to fix things that needed to be fixed. Things that couldn't be fixed before it shipped.

I gotta give a lot of props to the gaming industry, they work hard, are forced to comply with unreasonable deadlines, and they do it because they care about what they are doing.

You can totally see that with TRON 2.0.

KiaPurity
User

on Sunday, August, 31, 2003 5:10 PM
*nods*
I'm so proud that they did all this hard work for us and everyone else!

Ah, speaking of old games... I recall not being able to play this one game on C64... I think it had to do something with thieves.... the other one was a cartidge, but the cartidge broke. Oh well.

The internet is a great resource for us all... to be able to upload necessary patches... to be able to download them too.

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Qix77
User

on Monday, September, 01, 2003 2:41 AM
I fully agree... I was just thinking about my C64 days... and your right, if the internet was open to the public back then, then there would be patches to download.

Oh!!! BTW:

Kia: Do you know of a fully working copy of Karataka??

Every time I make it to the basement, I can't get past a door your suppose to kick in. I think I remember it being a copy protection error or something....

Thanks

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, September, 01, 2003 3:55 AM
Ah, nope, I don't have that game. :/

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Qix77
User

on Monday, September, 01, 2003 8:28 AM
Ok.. thanks anyways...

Scuzzy
User

on Monday, September, 01, 2003 10:53 AM
Heh, I remember that game. I had a lot of games for my C-64. The game that I remember, but can't remember the name to, was a Star-Trek style strategy game where you had ship-to-ship combat & marines and stuff. Man I wish I remembered it's name. abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

Scuzzy
User

on Monday, September, 01, 2003 10:56 AM
Oh, and as for why there were "no bugs" in games. Well there were, but they were able to be filtered out becasue if one person had a C-64, all of them did! These days there are so many combinations of hardware out there that it's almost impossible to predict them all. Also, to say that the programming is much more complex is an understatement of boggling proportions.

tron_fanfare
User

on Thursday, September, 04, 2003 1:06 AM

"How are ya gonna run the universe if you can't even answer a few unsolvable problems?" - Flynn in the real world

Scuzzy
User

on Thursday, September, 04, 2003 9:19 AM
I call your bluff. Pic?

(that would be so cool if you did have it!)order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Compucore
User

on Sunday, September, 07, 2003 2:08 PM
Talking about old games. I remember when I had an Apple ][e computers in the 80's. There was one game that stood out in my mind from Eletronic Arts. Which was Make your own Murder Party. Required a printer and a few friends. And a whole lot of Imagination. Did it with a few iof my friends when we want to play this.

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Qix77
User

on Thursday, September, 18, 2003 11:08 PM
Oh... Another oldie but goodie was the Amiga computer.

I'm currently emulating Amiga classics useing winUAE, but I'm not able to get "Speed Ball II" to work.

We sure grew up with some really awesome computers (durning the time, anyways). Of course most of what I did was play games, but I did learn some programming in Commodore basic.

The cool thing is that we can emulate these computers on todays PCs.

Image my future in about 20+ years...

XXX.X Thz processor
XXX.X TBs memory
Future GFX card
Future sound card
Future whatever

Main Use: To emulate old 80's classic computers and games... lol

Thats if PC still exsists or some new computer platform is invented...

laphtiya
User

on Thursday, September, 25, 2003 8:18 AM
well I got a C64 and a Commidor vic 20 fully working, on my C64 i got a game called Raster Runners which was just Light cycles lol

curtishart
User

on Thursday, September, 25, 2003 10:01 AM
Sadly, I missed out on all the C64, Trash-80, etc...My first "PC" was a Timex Sinclair!!! (Woo) which from there I went to a Sanyo IBM-clone (which was about 95% IBM compatible....some software just wouldn't work) then to an IBM XT.

NOW, I'm going back and getting some fun systems to tinker around with I have an Atari 800XL right now (Plus my original Atari 2600)order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Qix77
User

on Sunday, December, 24, 2006 1:18 AM
For me... My first computer was a Vic 20 which I traded for a Commodore 16... which I had for only a week till I got my C64..

Here is my Computer and Game console history...

O-1
Atari 2600
O-2
Coleco Vision
Commodore Vic 20
Commodore 16
Commodore 64
Nintendo
Amiga 500
Sega Genesis
Gateway 486 computer
Gateway 2000 120 mhz
Home built: 233 mhz Cyrix
Home built: 700 mhz AMD
Home built: 1.2 ghz AMD Thunderbird
Home built: 2800+ AMD Althlon

... and now it's time to build another... but I need money... so I'll save up... on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Hikaru.EXE
User

on Sunday, December, 24, 2006 3:59 AM
MY GOD!

This is the biggest bump ever!!!

!!!

Anyway:

I wish I understood all of that. I wasn't even born yet! Wurd, My 13 yearold self looks at the atari and says, "Wow, I have a PS2, and I need a Wii!!!", and then it would have been like " PS2!!! Wow 3D!!!" Thank video game makers and their video game making. But for the Atari and friends, I have one thing to say " Obsoletion is a painful process." I mean, Ataris and commodores 'n stuff must, at a time, had a reaction of " WOW!! This tech is amazing!!!" But now, it would be a piece of junk to the new generation. Not like I would but you know. yeah, teenage vdeo game fanatics I know would play older games, and think their crap! But deep down, their gold. Without them, there would be no evolution.

CyberBlade
User

on Sunday, December, 24, 2006 7:56 AM
I will admit, while gaming has done extreamly well.. you can look back and see how it built up..

there was the computer games and the atari.. then the was a void due to the market crash causing all comnputer consoles to die off because there wasnt anything new..

then game the Nes and on its own, revived the entire gaming industry..
Brining on Snes and Sega with the 16bit..

sega had loads of games while Snes was trying to compete.. then game the older brother.. N64.
and ofcourse Sony joined in with the PS1 and Sega still battling it out with its systems and inner fight between Japan and USA (which was the main cause of its untimly downfall)

Sega tried once more and brought on the Dreamcast, a totally unrivaled system that no one could compete with.. it was a hit! but ofcourse Sony was quick to act with the ps2, Xbox was around the corner and Nintendo had its 'Dolphine' comming (now known as the cube)

ok, so thats not a total history with all the details but its a quick refesh.

Games have evolved so much but to me.. they are getting worse.. while they work so much on eye candy.. they forget what made games soo good, the plot!

i mean.. battletoads on the Nes was even unbeatable by the pro gamers (im 19 and still yet to finish it on my ye old cartridge)
there are ones that were so tough that you had no idea what to do.. boy and the blob..

then they combined them with Super Mario World.. a large game that was both fun, tough and good plot.

HL1 which was a major benchmark in PC games and emmensefull story line was great..

but the likes of the latest ones lack the AI games onced loved (like FPS you could jump around like a complete moron or rush em and still they would take a lot of time to react)

ok, maby im going offtopic a bit much here..

But i love games, they are my life..
but there is just something about the new ones that dont have what our old ones had..
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Signiture
"So, You are a user, Facinating." "Yes" "No"
"Hah, ICP should stand for Incompetant Confused Programs."

Compucore
User

on Sunday, December, 24, 2006 12:45 PM
Yes this is true. I find still even for games in general for the computer itself. Maybe it is just me and some of my background in computer programming and seeing the hardware and games evolve over the years. Some of todays games are nice and all that. But they (Gaming companines in general) Still lack one thing that the older gaming companies had. And that was able to tighten their gaming code. But alas with technology going faster and faster. The old ways of coding doesn't sink in with the new generation of programmers.
order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Qix77
User

on Sunday, December, 24, 2006 5:37 PM
Although the game market did crash, the computer gaming market did rather well. A lot of hard core gamers like me went to Commodore due to the crash, so games survived on the computer but since computers were expensive and was thought of being hard to understand, the general public missed out on a lot of stuff and many didn't know these computers were even around.

However, it was Nintendo who revived the game console market. They were the savior and took a huge risk since no one else made a serious attempt to do it.... but Nintendo did something very smart, they would not allow any games to be released on their system unless they approved (the Nintendo seal). Why??? They took a look at what happened to Atari and how reckless Time Warner was believing that people will play any video regardless... so Nintendo made sure that games had quality.

Sega did the same thing upon the release of the Genesis.... and the Genesis became the successor until the release of the Super Nintendo.....

I missed out on all the N64/PS1/Saturan and above, but I was so into Amiga and PC gaming. Most PC games are more involved than console gaming but that is because it works well on a PC. Console gaming works great but not always so good on a PC. Strange but true...

However there are a few eceptions... GTA games (started on the PC, moved to the PS and PS2 and then released again on the PC) and many other ports works well on both. But PC gamers have mixed feelings about these ports because a lot of us feel as if the content is downgraded to easily match console specs (unless the consoles are new like the PS3 and 360 are for now). But that is changing and the consoles are becoming more innovative and some are now running major OSs.

....but the reverse is happening. Computer gaming is dropping rapidly and console gaming is sky rocketing... and I know why this is....

Mark Rain from Epic attacked Intel a while back about their crappy GPU chip sets flooding into the buget PC market... and I agree. If you want a great gaming computer, you'll pretty much have to build your own or buy from a respected computer like NorthWest or Alienware.... that and you have to spend a crap load of money to do so....

.... most people don't want to do that.

Consoles are more affordable and requires almost no tech knowledge.

Funny how things change....

But the Computer gaming market will never end. The whole point of having a massive computer is to play games. Infact, video games is what made our computers so advanced as they are today. Without games, we may still be looking into a green CRT monitor that displays text only.

It's a very interesting discussion.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Upgrades.. A look back..