Tron 2.0: Multiplayer 
 A review of Tron 2.0

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
The Tweaker
User

A review of Tron 2.0

on Sunday, July, 25, 2004 10:00 PM
This is something I wrote for our school newspaper back around the time I first joined Tron-Sector. A few factual details may be inaccurate; it had been some time since I'd seen the film. Enjoy.

Edit: Dangit, the parser won't let me put in the fonts and sizes I used for the original. Oh well, here's the bare text, at least.

:Review.Game()
&title=”Tron 2.0”;
&genre=;
&Rating: {*****};
>; begin

Of all the video games I’ve played over the years, this is the finest. Based on the movie Tron of 20 years ago, the game follows the story of Jet Bradley, son of Alan Bradley, who was the protagonist of the original film. When the computer systems of Alan Bradley’s computer company come under attack, Jet is digitized into the computer world, allowing him to roam freely through computer systems. Jet must stop the criminal plans of rival company fCon, free his father from imprisonment, and return to the real world. The story, though, isn’t the best part of this game—the sense of exploring the digital world from inside is astonishing. Whether you’re in combat with Internal Countermeasure Programs, fighting the virus-ridden corruption of the insane zealot Thorne, or simply exploring the vast digital world presented by this game, you’re guaranteed a fascinating—and thrilling—ride. The graphics in this game rival that of the Myst series; with the exception of the latest release, Uru, I found this game’s graphics more enthralling than any of the images in the Myst series. The characters are well-rendered, both graphically and literally—they look sharp and glowey, like everything in Tron, the computerized voices are perfect, and their actions are consistent, if a bit shallow at times. Each side in the growing digital war has a certain color and attitude it prefers—red for the Kernel and his army of ICPs, who stand for logic and order; sickly green for Thorne and his infected Z-lots, who view corruption as a way of life; deep purple for fCon, the startup company that wants to take over the world; soft yellow for Ma3a, keeper of the correction algorithms necessary for proper digitization; and friendly cyan for Jet and his father, the Users, who are (theoretically) masters of the computer domain.

Tron 2.0 takes information warfare to a whole new level. The chief weapon used in this game is the disc, which is thrown like a Frisbee to damage opponents, then recalled to the User’s hand. There it can be holstered (clipped to the User’s arm) or used to block enemy incoming discs. Other weapon primitives include the Rod (used to shock opponents at close range), the Ball (simple grenade), and the Mesh (machine gun). Each of these primitives, however, can be upgraded at any time to two alternate forms: the Disc, for example, can become a Sequencer, allowing you to throw several discs one after the other, or a Cluster bomb, which delivers an explosive charge on impact; the Rod can be upgraded to a shotgun or a sniper rifle, etc. In your travels through the digital world, you’ll find and download subroutines, which are pieces of code that can be installed onto your own to upgrade your abilities. These subroutines include armor, utilities (e.g. jump higher, walk more quietly, or increase your damage yield), or the upgraded weapons described above. Only so many subroutines can be installed at once, however, and different levels have different memory requirements. (I won’t even mention the process by which the subroutines themselves can be upgraded…) The various weapons and abilities are fun to use; there’s something innately thrilling in carefully upgrading your Cluster subroutine to its highest level, then fragging a group of ICPs with one throw.

One thing that really strengthens this game is the variety of levels you’ll traverse; whether you’re outrunning a system reformat, racing Lightcycles through a game grid, browsing the archives of a massive library computer, overclocking an ancient 486, searchingabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0: Multiplayer 
 A review of Tron 2.0