New Map: CTB TDM

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, October, 02, 2004 4:26 PM

Here are 14 screenshots of the new map.

It took me over two months to make this map. A very difficult project.

This map is a TCDG release. What's TCDG? The Tron Community Developer's Group is the collaboration of Tron map makers, sharing their knowledge and sometimes even working on projects together. Thanks to Xistence, I found out a way to customize some things in the game without turning it into a mod.

This map is meant for Team Derez play. When you install it, BE SURE TO READ THE README FILE. OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THIS MAP WORKS. You know what they say, RTFM. It definitely applies in this case.

And before I hear the inevitable question . . . Yes, not being able to come back down the gravity beams is INTENTIONAL. It's NOT A BUG.

Also very important . . . if you intend to host this map on the Dedicated Server, IT MUST NOT BE THE FIRST MAP LOADED. Make sure other maps are in rotation before it in the list, that get loaded first. If this CTB_TDM map gets loaded first, or is the only map running, it will glitch. Meanwhile, if you run the map using the game's Built-In Server it works PERFECTLY every time.

This map is also being released now, to commemorate the merger of the LD and DSO clans. They will now be known as LDSO. Props go out to Mor.Evil-1 and dso.X³ for making this happen.

I will be running a Dedicated Server with the new map in rotation starting tonight at 7PM EST, which is 4PM PST. I will probably leave it running until something like 10AM EST the next morning. Then I'll do the same for Sunday night.

You can download the map from:
http://www.boxhat.com/tronforum/misc/maps/CTB_TDM.zip

For anyone I gave the map to early, please trash that copy and download the new final version.

Also, there is an Easter Egg hidden in this map. Try and find it. It's worth it.

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

harpo989
User

Re: New Map: CTB TDM

on Saturday, October, 02, 2004 5:00 PM
Downloading. looks awsome, Tronfaq. nice work!

------------
Harpo989: The original fConer. (Now with (0rr[up73d fruit flavoring!)

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, October, 02, 2004 6:01 PM
Wow, redrain85 - that looks awesome!

The screen shots alone reveal that a lot of work went in to this custom map. And it looks VERY TRON!

I've noticed that the disc arena and derezz maps seem to be released as executables that need to be installed, where as the light cycle custom grids are generally released as .REZ files that only need be copied to a directory to work.

Forgive my ignorance, but why aren't the custom arena and derezz maps offered in the same way?

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, October, 02, 2004 6:37 PM

TheReelTodd, I did it as an executable because it allowed me to customize a couple of things in the game. I couldn't do that with a .REZ file. At first I wanted to release it as a .REZ, but I was forced to do it this way to get a couple of cool things to work.

You see that Energy Claw powerup in the screenshot? It doesn't exist. If you make a map in DEdit, there's no option to add a Claw powerup. I had to make it myself.

So the bottom line is, I had to release this with an installer. If anything, you get the additional benefit of one less .REZ file eating away at your limit.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, October, 02, 2004 7:42 PM
Ahhh - that makes some sense. You're very innovative, redrain85. I LOVE the fact that you don't allow yourself to be limited by the map construction software available. This DEdit - I've read a little about it here and there, just blurbs from some of the people who use it. The general theme seems to be that DEdit is limiting and doesn't seem to offer much - or at least not what it should be offering for optimal functionality.

It's a damn shame that there aren't better tools out there and more options at the disposal of you and the other talented people who have been sculpting these custom maps and grids. I can only imagine what you guys might release if you were not all limited by the software you had to work in... then again, it seems you're finding and inventing ways of working around the limits of the authoring software available

Keep up the good work!
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, October, 02, 2004 10:55 PM

TheReelTodd Wrote:Ahhh - that makes some sense. You're very innovative, redrain85. I LOVE the fact that you don't allow yourself to be limited by the map construction software available.
Thanks! Is there a blush digicon?

How about some Sark's Brews instead?

It's a damn shame that there aren't better tools out there and more options at the disposal of you and the other talented people who have been sculpting these custom maps and grids. I can only imagine what you guys might release if you were not all limited by the software you had to work in...
Yes, it's pretty frustrating. The lack of publisher support is very disappointing. No matter what the reasons . . . which I'm pretty sure I'm correct about. Particularly since the Xbox and GBA versions are coming out. It seems like the PC is being abandoned altogether. But you can't make maps on the Xbox, can you? That's part of the appeal of this game. The limitless imagination you can work with in the world, and make it your own in some small way.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Riley Pizt
User

on Sunday, October, 03, 2004 1:28 AM
redrain85 Wrote:So the bottom line is, I had to release this with an installer. If anything, you get the additional benefit of one less .REZ file eating away at your limit.
Have you tested that? I suspect that it actually may decrease the limit a little. Try to see how many REZ files you can load with the unofficial patch and your addition and then without it, and please post the results.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, October, 03, 2004 12:55 PM

Riley Pizt Wrote:Have you tested that? I suspect that it actually may decrease the limit a little. Try to see how many REZ files you can load with the unofficial patch and your addition and then without it, and please post the results.
Ah yes, you're right. The folder still counts as one .REZ file. However, you can put a virtually unlimited number of maps in the "tcdg" folder, without worrying about how big a .REZ file in its place would become. And anything in that folder overrides what's in the retail .REZ files, making some limited modding possible.

Riley Pizt
User

on Sunday, October, 03, 2004 6:16 PM
redrain85 Wrote:
However, you can put a virtually unlimited number of maps in the "tcdg" folder, without worrying about how big a .REZ file in its place would become. And anything in that folder overrides what's in the retail .REZ files, making some limited modding possible.
I think a better solution for your map would be to place all of the new files and file structure in \custom\resources and the replacement stuff in tcdg. That way, the map could still be played if tcdg were removed if someone didn't want to play with the replacement stuff. Actually, your map is the perfect time to use the "retail" mod folder because your file replacements don't cause invalid assets when joining the server. So, users could check the box to use the replacements, and uncheck it when not using them. It gives more flexibility and is appropriate in your case.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, November, 26, 2004 11:09 PM

A lot of people have been asking me lately about how to find the easter egg, and what it's all about. Well, since it's been almost a couple of months now since I released the map . . . I figured I'd let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

To get to the easter egg room, you head for the green side and move to the corner where the two green walls meet. In that corner is a pillar. At the base of the pillar, on the side facing the nearby wall, is an invisible switch. It activates a teleportorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0: Multiplayer