AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
EvilDono
User

New Map: DA-7982

on Wednesday, July, 11, 2007 6:58 AM
Greetings fellow programs!

For any of you out there that still like to play,
I recently finished a new DA map,
To help commemorate the 25th anniversary.

Feel free to stop by @ http://www.ldso.net,
And d/l to your hearts content!

The DA map is a twist on a retro classic,
Sounds and all!

Hope to see you on the grid!!

ldso://Mor.Evil-1

ldso:// Living Dead System Operators Clan
[2.0PD]2.0 Program Developers
http://www.ldso.net

Traahn
User

Re: New Map: DA-7982

on Saturday, October, 13, 2007 6:59 PM
Pretty cool, EvilDono. I have to admit that I haven't played Tron 2.0 in a long time, so it was nice to be able to walk around in the Tron world again. I didn't get to play with others -- just explored. After exiting, I see my Firewall was blocking Tron 2.0 from connecting to the internet -- a note was there, "Do you want to give Tron 2.0 permissions to access the internet?" ... ugh! Was totally unbeknownst to me it was trying to ask me this during the game. So I'll need to re-launch later and try again and see if anyone else is on.

I wish anti-virus/firewall companies and game develepers would team up to come up with a better solution to granting program permissions. Some games crash when the "Do you want to give this program permission to access the internet?" pops up in the background; some games you have to know to Alt+Tab back; some games freeze entirely where not even Alt+Tab works thereby forcing a PC re-boot; some games kick you back to Desktop; etc. It's just very poor functionality and I can't believe it's this way even after a decade or more of online gaming.

But I did try your map and I enjoyed seeing the prison cells, the I/O tower and the note on the back walls saying, "Tron" and giving the 1982 date. I saw ring game pads down in the game area... kinda like Crom vs. Flynn in the movie -- Very cool. I know first-hand how hard it is to create game levels in Tron 2.0.

Some here might not know how to see the map. I had to kinda guess -- good thing I had one of Zook_one's maps still loaded to see a prior example. You might link fellow programs to some instructions from this thread to help newcomers put the file in the right hard drive location, and then also how to access the map online?

Zook_one's map (Z_CLU_DISPATCH_V.1) was nice to see again, too. I enjoyed going in the cockpit of a tank to see the rotating insides, just like the movie. (Ha, there was a spilled energy drink on the floor of the tank -- the one that Clu was drinking in the movie; I'm not sure if I noticed that before.) I also liked seeing the MCP Cone bar in Zook's.

Y'all are awesome for making these maps. I hope some day someone makes a very nice single-player campaign mod... maybe a 3 or more levels campaign or something. Don't think this has been done before?

And now I just realize this thread is months old. Whoops! I was seeing "Who's Online" and someone was in this thread checking... maybe you? So I clicked over to it.

PS: Now I want to see the MCP map, but it's no longer there to download... http://www.ldso.net/maps/XMcp.zip.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Saturday, October, 13, 2007 7:53 PM

Traahn Wrote:You might link fellow programs to some instructions from this thread to help newcomers put the file in the right hard drive location, and then also how to access the map online?

PS: Now I want to see the MCP map, but it's no longer there to download...
Everything you need (information, links) is in the Mini-FAQ post I made many months ago.

Mini-FAQ
The MCP map is available from a link in that post. In fact, that map is here in the Tron-Sector file archives too . . . all you need to do is look in there and you'll find it.

I hope some day someone makes a very nice single-player campaign mod... maybe a 3 or more levels campaign or something. Don't think this has been done before?
There already is one. It's called User Error. Again, it's either available from a link in the Mini-FAQ post or in the Tron-Sector file archives.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Sunday, October, 14, 2007 3:08 AM
Awesome, thanks Redrain, err... TronFAQ!

Yeah, I mainly said what I said as a suggestion to people who release new mods/maps. People are often lazy and won't take the time to research and figure stuff out if it isn't clearly provided to them. So a map maker can post here and say "new map! checkit out!" and link to the .RAR file. But in the hands of someone who has never loaded a custom map before, they'd have no clue where to begin and it can become labourious to try and figure it out; and they may never try.

So if the map maker wants people to see it, then I feel all the instructions should be layed out by them for how to make it work; even if it's just linking to the proper pages of your site. I glossed over the readme TXT file in the map's RAR, and didn't notice any instructions there.

Again, it's just a suggestion... otherwise, some people just won't take the time to figure it out. And maybe that's partially why there were no comments in this thread for a few months.

Thanks for the info on the MCP map and the single-player game. I think I had loaded up User Error once before; I'll have to try again to refresh my memory. I think more single player maps should be made. Undoubtedly, some will be better than others; some may rival the actual Monolith production. So I wish there were more made. Not many players do multi-player any more, so single-player campaigns may be where future mods should focus.

I still wish Buena Vista would release more of the source code/SDK. Maybe there are some modders here who could really tweak the code to make some amazing stuff.

zook_one
User

on Sunday, October, 14, 2007 3:43 AM
Anything else I will likely do in the Future for TRON 2.0 will be singleplayer. I'm not through with TRON yet...

[LDSO] LIVING DEAD SYSTEM OPERATORS www.LDSO.net

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, October, 14, 2007 10:03 AM

Traahn Wrote:Yeah, I mainly said what I said as a suggestion to people who release new mods/maps. People are often lazy and won't take the time to research and figure stuff out if it isn't clearly provided to them. So a map maker can post here and say "new map! checkit out!" and link to the .RAR file. But in the hands of someone who has never loaded a custom map before, they'd have no clue where to begin and it can become labourious to try and figure it out; and they may never try.

So if the map maker wants people to see it, then I feel all the instructions should be layed out by them for how to make it work; even if it's just linking to the proper pages of your site. I glossed over the readme TXT file in the map's RAR, and didn't notice any instructions there.
The funny thing is, myself and many other map makers included readmes with instructions on how to install the maps. Guess what? Nobody ever read them. They'd come on the message forums and ask how to install the maps anyway.

It's a no-win situation. But the Mini-FAQ seems to have helped. I see a lot fewer questions asked than I used to.

I think more single player maps should be made.
There's one on the way. It's going to be cool. There's also an awesome multiplayer mod on the way. Both care of yours truly and the rest of the LDSO team (zook_one, Evil.Dono, Load"*",8,1, win3k, xistence, 9VoltChicken, myself).

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Sunday, October, 14, 2007 7:56 PM
zook_one Wrote:Anything else I will likely do in the Future for TRON 2.0 will be singleplayer. I'm not through with TRON yet...
Right on!

The funny thing is, myself and many other map makers included readmes with instructions on how to install the maps. Guess what? Nobody ever read them. They'd come on the message forums and ask how to install the maps anyway.
Here's what I mean: add the info to the forum post. For example:
Hi everyone! A new map exists called "DA-7982"! Hope you check it out. Here's how:

Download Map: DA-7982
Install Map: Unzip the contents to folder: "C:\Program Files\Buena Vista Interactive\Tron 2.0\Custom\Resources\", or wherever your Tron 2.0 game is.

Play Map: Launch Tron 2.0. Go to the multi-player area. Host a game. Select "Disc Arena" as the game type. Add the "DA-7982" map. Play!

More detailed info can be found here: Mini-FAQ
Or something like that; I'm in a hurry. I'm sure it could be simplified even more, and I probably got something wrong above. (I didn't take the time to make sure the above is accurate.) In the end, the readme.txt file would have the same info... but most people would just read 'how to install/play' in the new map announcement.

It's okay. I'm just trying to help; nothing more, nothing less.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0: Design Characters and Levels 
 New Map: DA-7982