Hosting Classic Tron Game

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
shakezuulla
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 2:24 PM
Greetings!

I have had Tron 2.0 for about 3 years now and didn't realize that so many classic maps were created for the multiplayer game.

I setup my host so that only the "classic tron" style maps are setup in lightcycle, derez, disc arena, etc... hoping that some of you would like to play in "classic tron" only multiplayer?

The only problem I have is getting my host to connect to the internet...I believe there are no firewalls setup on my system as of right now, anybody have any tips on how to host a game?

If anybody is interested in this style of play, perhaps we can corridnate when to meet up online through this thread... I usually have off weekends.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear from some of you,

End Of Line.

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

Re: Hosting Classic Tron Game

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 6:44 PM
Greetings, shakezuulla and welcome to TRON-Sector!

I found myself addicted to online multiplayer light cycles for a long time after completing the single-player adventure of the game. I've had some great times out there and met up with some really cool TRON fans while on the game grid.

Unfortunately, the game grid is not as active these days. Programs still rez in for some high speed fun, but not as often and usually after my bed time.

There are several superbly well done custom maps as you have found. I hope you're able to get your server hosting properly.

The multuplayer discussion forum isn't as active as the general discussion or "other" forums, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some hosting advice. I am not the answer guy when it comes to that kind of thing.

I hope you are able to meet up with some fellow TRON fans out there and have a blast! Perhaps we'll meet up on the game grid some time.

A couple of threads you may want to hit are:

What's with your name?

And...

Don't forget to PING in every time you have yourself Another dose of TRON

I think you'll enjoy your time here at The Sector abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

shakezuulla
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 6:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Just one question, what do you mean by "ping"?

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 8:11 PM
Think of it this way, like a "ding" but with a ping-pong ball (yeahokayI'mnotmakingsensehere)

Like, every time you do something, it's all "ding!" do it again, "ding!"

Like leveling up "ding!"

Only it's "ping!" with Tron.

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

shakezuulla
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 8:25 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:Think of it this way, like a "ding" but with a ping-pong ball (yeahokayI'mnotmakingsensehere)

Like, every time you do something, it's all "ding!" do it again, "ding!"

Like leveling up "ding!"

Only it's "ping!" with Tron.

So everytime I play Tron 2.0 I should come on here and post a "ping" ?order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 10:28 PM
...well, it's for watching the movie.

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 10:31 PM
Ding! Fries are done. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

Jademz
User

on Wednesday, September, 26, 2007 11:07 PM
hi Shakezulla, welcome to the forums!

I have some advice reguarding your connection.

first, you need a firewall when you connect to the internet. Check to see if your windows firewall is working( XP SP2).

Go to the add a program, you should find Tron 2.0 in the list of programs, add, and save. The same applies for any software firewall. (I highly recommend a firewall such as outpost, or AVG, free trial.)

second, if you are using a router, you shouldn't have to manually open ports, however, I do, as a preference.

I've had issues with firewalls and routers, and I open the following ports: 27888, 29900, 29901(just off the top of my head) again, it's not necessary, unless you're hosting a server.

That's about it, firewalls can easily make a fool of you, since some don't work properly, and block applications seemingly on a whim..

If you haven't already d/l the 1042 patch, you'll need the latest. Windows XP/Vista Mac OSX
Next, These files are hosted courtesy of Tronfaq. The maps are about halfway through the page. I suggest you read the how to install maps. custom maps
There are quite a few map packs, but well worth it, alot of work went into them. Good luck. let us know how it goes!abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, September, 27, 2007 1:29 AM

Hey shakezuulla, welcome to Tron-Sector.

Jademz gave some good advice, the only things I can add are that ports 27888 and ports 27889 are the default ports that need to be open/forwarded in order to host a Tron 2.0 server.

Do you have a router between your computer and the modem? That almost always needs to be set up properly when wanting to host. Also, Windows XP SP2 and Vista both come with built-in firewalls so you probably do have one which is active. I don't recommend the built-in firewalls, though. You're better off getting a third-party one like ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Sunbelt Kerio, etc. and disabling the one in Windows.

I have a bit of a guide about connecting to the internet and playing Multiplayer in Tron 2.0, here:
http://www.ldso.net/tronfaq/pages/crashes.html
Scroll down to the part where it talks about Multiplayer.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

shakezuulla
User

on Thursday, September, 27, 2007 4:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice!!!

yes, I have windows XP, and yes I have a router...though I have been told that the router if firewallless? is that a word? lol.

My game is all updated and I have the maps installed correctly, I guess the next step would be turning off the firewall on XP?

Jademz
User

on Thursday, September, 27, 2007 7:20 PM
The router is not firewalled, unless, you can get your hands on a D-link gaming router, which has some sort of firewall feature.

If you have no firewall, you can bet your connection will be compromised by malware, spyware, Trojans, worms, hackers, and anything else that takes place on the net.

Since you said you just have windows XP firewall, add Tron 2.0 to the programs allowed to access the internet list.

Make sure your windows stays updated! and get a real firewall, only then, should you disable XP's firewall.

shakezuulla
User

on Thursday, September, 27, 2007 7:50 PM
Jademz Wrote:The router is not firewalled, unless, you can get your hands on a D-link gaming router, which has some sort of firewall feature.

If you have no firewall, you can bet your connection will be compromised by malware, spyware, Trojans, worms, hackers, and anything else that takes place on the net.

Since you said you just have windows XP firewall, add Tron 2.0 to the programs allowed to access the internet list.

Make sure your windows stays updated! and get a real firewall, only then, should you disable XP's firewall.

Sounds good. I'll try this, this weekend and see what happens, I'll post a times for those who want to join in this thread.

Once again, thanks for all your help!

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, September, 27, 2007 7:52 PM

Jademz Wrote:The router is not firewalled
That's not entirely correct. Unless a computer's LAN IP is given full access on every port as either a Virtual Server, or is placed in the router's DMZ, any router will act like a simple firewall. But there are more elaborate routers and even dedicated firewall devices to protect you from more sophisticated attacks, yes.

shakezuulla Wrote:yes I have a router...though I have been told that the router if firewallless?
Every router acts as a simple firewall, unless you set it up in such a way that it allows all internet traffic to pass in and out with complete freedom. (Bad idea.)

By default, a router will block any incoming communication it doesn't expect. Which is when you need to set up a rule that tells the router to allow that communication. And that's what you have to do when hosting a Tron 2.0 server. You need to set up a rule that opens and forwards specific ports (27888 and 27889) to allow communication back and forth between yourself and any players.

My FAQ page that I gave the address to earlier, has links to a site called www.portforward.com. From there you can pick which router you own, and then you could go to the page for F.E.A.R. and use that as a guide on how to change the settings in your router for Tron 2.0. But don't forget you need to open 27889 in addition to 27888.

I guess the next step would be turning off the firewall on XP?
Not until you get another firewall first. Take a look at the various firewalls we've mentioned in this thread, and pick whichever one you like the best. They're all free.

Install it, and then disable the built-in XP firewall. In fact, whichever firewall you install will probably disable the XP one automatically anyway.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Jademz
User

on Thursday, September, 27, 2007 9:02 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:

Jademz Wrote:The router is not firewalled
That's not entirely correct. Unless a computer's LAN IP is given full access on every port as either a Virtual Server, or is placed in the router's DMZ, any router will act like a simple firewall. But there are more elaborate routers and even dedicated firewall devices to protect you from more sophisticated attacks, yes.

I'm not disagreeing, Sophisticated attacks made the people who make my router offer an onboard firewall.

..but I'd rather trust a good firewall, preferably one built into the network, plus, why waste your CPU resources? (not the router in my opinion, I haven't upgraded to the firewalled NIC option, but, nonetheless. FYI.)

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0: Multiplayer