TRON: LEGACY 
 Will TRON be in TRN?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Traahn
User

Re: Will TRON be in TRN?

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2008 10:15 PM
I agree Lurkinghorror. So the young crowd would understand it today, and I'd be pleased as a TRON fan, too.

Ive always been a proponent of a remake, though I remember many fans despising the thought

Oh well, everyone has their own opinion.

I would also love a remake of Tron in computer game form. Get to re-live by playing in unchanged environments from the original movie. Wow, that would make my day. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

lurkinghorror
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2008 10:30 PM
Additionally a problem I have always had with a sequel is: "Why?"

I mean, the stories of the central characters were over. They had their happy ending. They triumphed over evil. Happily ever after and all that.

Any new situation you throw the characters in simply diminishes the struggle and accomplishments from the first story. Lora dead? Flynn evil? Tron decompiled?

Back when Return of the King was released, someone I knew asked me when the next film would come out. I tried to explain that, at best, the story of the Hobbit would be told. But that otherwise, the series was over. They thought that was stupid. They believed that the movies should just keep coming out. New storylines should be created and the adventures of the main characters should never end.

Madness.

We've become a society expecting permanent heroes to have unending adventures. Best to let some stories end.

Cam_the_Man
User

on Wednesday, August, 13, 2008 11:12 PM
lurkinghorror Wrote:
TronFAQ Wrote:

Trying to update it for today's audiences would not work out well.

Why is that? The story, as it was originally told, seems like it would work just fine.

Young hip programmer ripped off by corporation, attempts to hack his way into the system is instead digitized by the power hungry software ruling said corporation. Materializes on the game grid, encounters helpful security program, overthrows the tyrannical force controlling the system.

I think today's audiences would respond quite a bit better to the audience of 1981. If anything, the story has much more resonance now than it did decades ago.

You have a point there, eespecially in today's technology-driven world. Back then computers weren't that big. Now, computers integrate into our everyday life almost irresistably.

In the midst of Team Fortress 2:
TRON.dll: (Captures the intelligence) "I have take the intelligence and it will cause meltdown!"
Cam_the_Man: "No! Not all of Dallas!"

reptilerobots
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 1:09 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:

reptilerobots Wrote:There are so many people on here that say they don't want a remake, yet at the same time, so many posts about reliving old story lines, old characters, and using predictable plot devices that were in the first movie.
For me, anyway, I would say to Disney: what's the point of remaking it? The story of the film was very much a product of its era. Trying to update it for today's audiences would not work out well. Not only would you piss off old fans, but new fans wouldn't care what they do one way or the other, if they haven't seen the original film yet. So why needlessly antagonize the existing fanbase?

We need a new story, not a rehash of the old one. To please old and new audiences, alike.

But I think the concern here, it not that we don't want change. That's exactly what I was arguing against, a second ago. We don't want a rehash of the same thing, all over again. Some change is good.

What we're concerned about, is that there will be so much change that the sequel becomes unrecognizable as a Tron film. The sequel should be an homage, with lots of nods back to the original when it comes to style, characters, and story. So that there's enough similarity to keep old fans happy, but not so much that it can't move forward for today's audiences.

There has to be a delicate balancing act. So far, from the teaser, it seems they're heading mostly in the right direction. And I think most old fans would agree.

Agreed... it is all about a balance. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a total piece of useless visual wankery like the Star Wars prequels. I was even more disappointed and let down by the last Indiana Jones film than by the Star Wars ones actually. I thought perhaps George Lucas had learned a lesson, but the movie seemed too much like one big inside joke - referring to the past movies too much. Regardless, it was horrible even if some of the "homage" parts were taken out.

It seems like most everything is in place to make a good TRON sequel, I just hope it is good.

"Now THAT is a big door."

www.vberkvlt.com

laphtiya
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 1:12 PM
Cam_the_Man Wrote:
lurkinghorror Wrote:
TronFAQ Wrote:

Trying to update it for today's audiences would not work out well.

Why is that? The story, as it was originally told, seems like it would work just fine.

Young hip programmer ripped off by corporation, attempts to hack his way into the system is instead digitized by the power hungry software ruling said corporation. Materializes on the game grid, encounters helpful security program, overthrows the tyrannical force controlling the system.

I think today's audiences would respond quite a bit better to the audience of 1981. If anything, the story has much more resonance now than it did decades ago.

You have a point there, eespecially in today's technology-driven world. Back then computers weren't that big. Now, computers integrate into our everyday life almost irresistably.

Well Tron is almost real today. We sit and play MMORPGs, a virtual world "on the other side of the screen" (had to get that in). We make an Avatar instead of a program and in this virtual world it does what we tell it too, goes where we tell it to and interacts with other Avatars. All thats lacking is these programs to think for themselves and of course to be digitized into the system itself

But I think Tron would appeal more now than it ever has with todays booming computer games industry and especially with the birth of MMOs.
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 9:06 PM

Why does everything need to be remade? Why can't we just appreciate the original take on a story? Unless the result turned out to be nowhere near what the creator of the story or film intended.

I really don't understand Hollywood's obsession with remakes. Other than to say, that they're creatively bankrupt, and doing remakes is an easy way to make more cash - with less effort.

lurkinghorror Wrote:Why is that? The story, as it was originally told, seems like it would work just fine.
Well, it depends on how much of the story they keep or jettison.

The whole "rise of the video game" and "big bad computer breaking into other computers" motifs were very much a product of their era. I don't think they would work as well today. Back then, they were completely new concepts, and very much something to explore in a form that could tap into the fear and mistrust of technology at the time.

The rest could work, but it would seem a little too tired and clichéd these days. Back then, a story about a hacker breaking into a computer to steal back his work was something new in popular culture. Then a whole slew of imitators followed. War Games, Whiz Kids, Hackers, The Net, yadda yadda.

We need to move forward with fresh ideas, or else it will come across as yesterday's stale leftovers.

I mean, the stories of the central characters were over. They had their happy ending. They triumphed over evil. Happily ever after and all that.

Any new situation you throw the characters in simply diminishes the struggle and accomplishments from the first story. Lora dead? Flynn evil? Tron decompiled?
Then why a Tron comic?

abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

lurkinghorror
User

on Thursday, August, 14, 2008 9:26 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:

Then why a Tron comic?

Well, as you know, the intent we had with the comic was to do a story dealing with how Tron became a prisoner, and how the MCP came to power. A prequel fleshing out the details of a story is a different subject. But because of Tron 2.0, which was still relatively new when we got ahold of the license, we did not have the choice. We were told our story must follow the events of Tron 2.0.

And I never said I was disinterested in more stories of the universe that Tron takes place in. I simply think that we don't need to continue the narrative of the first film. I don't need to know what happened to the characters from the first film. Their story was told. Any further adventures of those specific characters potentially cheapens what transpired in the first film. Once a character hits the "happily ever after mode" do we need to see the further details?

And no, not everything needs to be remade. But we're examining a binary (false) option. Remake versus sequel. As for creative bankruptcy, I could not disagree more. Yes, personally I prefer to see new material. I prefer to see wholly original ideas, but that's not what the market wants. The market wants the same characters, over and over again.

But remake = creative bankruptcy? The Ladykillers? Cape Fear? The Fly? The Thing? 12 Monkeys? Dawn of the Dead? Oceans 11? All wonderful remakes.

Remake does not equal bad. Bad creators equals bad, regardless of original material, remake or sequel.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Will TRON be in TRN?