TRON: LEGACY 
 Bonnie MacBird

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
JohnPhoenix
User

Bonnie MacBird

on Wednesday, April, 01, 2009 11:36 PM
Most people credit Steven Lisberge for writing TRON but in truth it was co-written by Bonnie Macbird.

As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, it was she who had the idea for Tron in the first place having loosely based the character on her husbands writings.

I think what Stephen did was take her ideas and helped her rewrite them so they would work well on film. (There is a real formula for writing screenplays that get into details of camera movement and positions ect unlike writing novels, it's a bit more complex)

Does anyone know the in depth back story on how this actually happened?

Also, any word of if Bonnie has been consulted for the new movie?

John Phoenix

KiaPurity
User

Re: Bonnie MacBird

on Wednesday, April, 01, 2009 11:56 PM
Yeah, Bonnie is given the credit for it in the movie.

I can't say that I really know the details on it, but still...order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Mr. Sinistar
Sector Admin

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 1:17 AM
JohnPhoenix Wrote:Most people credit Steven Lisberge for writing TRON but in truth it was co-written by Bonnie Macbird.

As I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong, it was she who had the idea for Tron in the first place having loosely based the character on her husbands writings.

I think what Stephen did was take her ideas and helped her rewrite them so they would work well on film. (There is a real formula for writing screenplays that get into details of camera movement and positions ect unlike writing novels, it's a bit more complex)

Does anyone know the in depth back story on how this actually happened?

Also, any word of if Bonnie has been consulted for the new movie?

John Phoenix

I'm not exactly sure how big of a role Bonnie Macbird had in writing the script, but she may have been a "script doctor" and polished the script up and made it better.

But, I'm sure she didn't create Tron. Steven Lisberger was inspired by Backlit animation, an animation process used in the 70s and 80s for logos, and wanted to do a character made out of light. While developing this light character for his animation studio, Lisberger Studios, he saw computer animation and video games for the first time and thought that a video game or a computer would be the perfect backdrop for his glowing character.

According to her website Bonnie Macbird met Alan Kay, her husband, while doing research on TRON. In fact, I believe Alan Kay inspired the naming of Alan Bradley.

OPEN SOURCE TRON PROJECT

"what the hell is a limux.."

- Gattorcar (a user on YouTube) April 17, 2007

test

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 1:53 AM

Mr. Sinistar Wrote:I'm not exactly sure how big of a role Bonnie Macbird had in writing the script, but she may have been a "script doctor" and polished the script up and made it better.
I think it may have been the reverse. I've heard that she wrote the first couple of drafts, and then Steven went in and re-wrote/polished them to what he wanted.

Apparently, the early drafts were very different, with Flynn being a Pizza Delivery guy for example. He was also supposed to be younger. More the stereotypical hacker/geek. Also, the stuff in the computer world was supposed to be a lot more technical than how it eventually turned out. The studio was afraid nobody would understand what the hell anyone was talking about, and asked them to remove most of the complex jargon.

As we all know, Disney was right. Even in its less technical form, Tron was still way above most people's heads when it was released. Alan Kay was supposed to have been the third script co-writer or "consultant", and he's the one who put in all the advanced technical references. When his stuff got cut out, he wasn't happy and asked to have his name removed from the project.

In fact, I believe Alan Kay inspired the naming of Alan Bradley.
Yep, that's what I heard. She named Alan after her husband.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Esotek
Sector Admin

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 6:12 AM
For some reason the interview Martin did with Bonnie MacBird for Tron-Sector back in 02 is no longer in the Interviews archive so I will post it here...

The following Q&A was conducted by Martin Fisher via email in 2002.

Can you tell some some stuff about yourself. What you`ve done in your life and how did you get to co-write Tron with Steven?

"Pre Tron, I got a BA in Music and a MA in Film from Stanford. My first big job was at Universal which is what I was doing when I met Steven. Since Tron I was a screenwriter for eight years, then ran a company called Creative License (won two Emmys and 11 Cine Golden Eagles for my work as a writer/producer during this time in the 80s and 90s), then wrote a novel, and later became an actor in my 40s, which is what Im doing now, mainly in theater, and some films. (see my website www.macbird.com) I still write, and am currently re-writing my novel and adapting a Sherlock Holmes story for the Knightsbridge Theater, where I`m a member and frequently appear in classical plays. (my website, while mainly geared toward my acting, has a page with books recommended for writers as I give writing workshops occasionally) Steven and I met while I was an executive at Universal Studios doing story development for Ned Tanen (head of the feature film division) and Jennings Lang. We worked briefly on a project called Lightning, liked working together, and I left the studio to join Lisberger studios as the writer/producer of Tron and another idea we had."

I have never been able to understand the beginning sequence of the movie. How could we be seeing Sark and his bike against another program battling inside the ENCOM supercomputer when it is actually just a punk playing on a stand alone arcade unit? Is there a link or was it just "artistic license"?

"I had nothing to do with this sequence, sorry I cant help you there."

What the other story lines were going to be -- the script went through four or more revisions, right? What was it originally going to be?

"It was quite different in its original concept. I worked on TRON for two years before it went to Disney. I had Robin Williams (then a new star in Mork and Mindy) in mind as Flynn, originally Flynn was a pizza delivery boy who fell inside the computer and had to find his way out. The script originally had a lot more humor in it, and more layered characters. The bit who longed to be a program, the program who longed to be a human, etc. It went through more incarnations than four there were eight sets of writers after me and a rather bitter credits dispute. "

How do you think you captured the spirit and hackers so well? Was it an accident or were there other people involved advising you about what the world of hackers was like?

"Thank you. I spent quite a bit of time at the Stanford AI Lab and at Xerox Parc researching the scene, it was not an accident. I met Alan Kay and we worked together from the start he was hired as the "technical consultant" on the film, although he later took his name off when all the scientific elements we had so carefully embedded into the storyline were
removed by Steven and subsequent writers. However his input and my hanging out at these places was crucial, I think, to the vibe of the piece."

What was the writing process like? What was the original story like compared to the final scripted version?

"The writing process was difficult and eventually Steven and I had a falling out. During our time together, I would do the writing, Steven would read it and we would have meetings in which he would tell his ideas. Then I would go back and try new things. I did many treatments and full drafts of the screenplay. My final screenply draft sold to Disney, and although I
had a contract to line produce, as often happens in Hollywood, it didnt work out that way. I think my original script was much funnier, sharper, wittier, smarter, than the final, though probably not as visually interesting. "

Did you enjoy watching Tron and when was the last time you saw it?

"No, I was too mad about it. I`ve probably calmed down some since then. I actually went to the premiere with Alan Kay and famous science fiction writer Harlan Ellison who sympathized with the "evisceration of my script." (he had read my original, which Disney had bought) and was a hilarious person to go through this experience with."

Was Steven Lisberger a geek first and a filmaker second or was it the other way around?

"Steven was never a geek. He was an intelligent, charming, boyish man who was a very talented animation director, when I knew him."

I saw you only got a story credit. Did you get to work on the screenplay and if not why not when you were involved with the story?

"I did many complete drafts of the screenplay. I consider myself the original writer of the movie. "Tron" was the name of a glowing character he had created for a radio ad. I came up with the idea of a guy who falls inside a computer, meets a video game warrior, and with his help, escapes. The entire basic storyline, and all main and subsidiary characters were mine."

The clothes that Jeff wore in the real world, except for the Flynns arcade stuff, do you know if they were provided by the wardrobe or did Jeff bring them in himself?

"Wasn`t around for the shoot, dont know about the costumes."

Although Steven Lisberger has his story for Tron 2.0, what kind of things would you do if you were involved in the writing process again?

"It would be funny, scary, and based on real computer science which is stranger than most of us can imagine. I know these guys. I`m married to one."

Were you on the set often or was most of your work done off set?

"Never on the set of the movie. I line produced the test shoots before Disney was involved. It wasn`t really fun. In retrospect, Ive worked with a lot of pros both before and since and Steven and I do not share similar styles of working."

How was working with Steven Lisberger? Had you known him prior to working on Tron?

"Originally, Steven and I were going to co-produce TRON as an ndependent film through Lisberger Studios, with production financed by the European distribution deals for Animalympics, an animation feature Steven was then directing.. Steven was to direct, TRON, I was to write. I had live action production experience (at Univ and before) and he was an animation studio, we had it covered. Then the US pulled out of the Olympics and the distribution deals all fell through. Suddenly we had to find financing for TRON. It was set up at Disney, though without me."

Your husband, Alan Kay, is often said to be very instrumental in the conception of the laptop computer and windows style interface. Was he influential in your writing? Also, I see that he was mentioned as being part of the "crew" on the set of Tron. Did you work together at all?

"Alan Kay, my husband, is frequently called in the press "the father of the personal computer" because his group at Xerox Parc developed the graphical user interface which is ubiquitous now in computers. His influence was very strong on my drafts of the script he advised me to read early Heinlein, and worked with me both on structure, and on the computer science references in the early drafts. Unfortunately, much of this work did not make it to the final version. It is too bad, the movie would have had a richer subtext and been a lot better, I think. He was pretty upset about the turn it took after it went to Disney."

Have you had any contact with anyone from the Tron cast or crew over
the years?

"A few of the animators and I have remained friends."

Were there any parts written that didn't made it to the screen though you would have liked them to?

"Any of my dialogue. Only my concept, character ideas and skeleton remain."

What were some of your contributions that you are most proud of in Tron?

"I am most proud of the concept itself, which was ahead of its time. I really share that with Steven. I remember a day when he and I went to a computer store in Santa Monica. It was the ONLY ONE in LA. It was there that I got a book about Computer geniuses working on the frontiers of research and read about Alan Kay, among others. There were video game parlours in Westwood, but no one had computers. We got so excited about the whole thing. We knew we were on to something good."

Was there anything in the final script that you didn`t care for?

"The line as one character is being drained of its life force "Wait! I need that!" makes me just cringe. It is so contrary to the wit and humor and subtlety of the original that I just shudder. I`m afraid its typical of many of the lines. Actually most of the dialogue makes me shudder."

Are you involved in any way with the 20th anniversary DVD?

"No. Would like to be."

Did you like the casting of Tron or were there some roles that you magined other actors playing?

"I loved Jeff Bridges. I read the shooting script and I saw what he did and realize that THANK GOD he ad libbed some of the humor back into the character. In fact, Jeff Bridges was very close in feel to the way I had always written Flynn, kind of a smart-ass, funny guy. He, along with the visuals, was the films saving grace. Way to go,Jeff! I`ve always wanted to tell him that."

What other work have you been doing over the past 20 years after Tron?

"See answer to #1."

End.

Other resources for Bonnie MacBird:

www.macbird.com

TRON.dll
User

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 6:50 AM
TronFAQ Wrote:
In fact, I believe Alan Kay inspired the naming of Alan Bradley.
Yep, that's what I heard. She named Alan after her husband.

That's funny, because there's a company called "Alan Bradley Computer Electronics".

EDIT: Okay, it's "Allen Bradley", but it's close enough, lol.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Traahn
User

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 11:14 AM
Was interesting to read.  I understand her views... but it sounds like her version of Tron wouldn't have been as interesting to me.  I feel her pain, but I'm glad Tron went the direction it did.   As someone who appreciates the visuals and fairly serious nature of Tron more than anything else (dialogue, acting, etc.) I'm afraid to say that I think I'm glad the final movie didn't impress her.  I don't think I would've wanted more "funny" in the film, as she desired.  

So, in the end, I think it's just a difference of tastes.  It goes back to the observation of how some people "get" Tron, and some don't.  The ones who do, love Tron. The ones who don't, make fun of it or hate it.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Mr. Sinistar
Sector Admin

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 11:18 AM
Esotek Wrote:For some reason the interview Martin did with Bonnie MacBird for Tron-Sector back in 02 is no longer in the Interviews archive so I will post it here...

Wow! I never read that interview before! Thanks a lot for posting Esotek! where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

OPEN SOURCE TRON PROJECT

"what the hell is a limux.."

- Gattorcar (a user on YouTube) April 17, 2007

test

JohnPhoenix
User

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 11:53 AM
Thank you Esotek for re posting that interview. It sure filled the bill.

I read a lot of screenplays online. ( I have toyed with writing some myself) Many of them are early drafts that get leaked to the public. It is interesting to see how the story changes from one incarnation to another and then finally in post production to the story you have actually on film.

Very few movies in fact hold much of the intent and content of the original screenplay. We generally don't realize this when we go to the movies. This ia a huge frustration for screenwriters. Most of the time once the script is 'sold' to a studio such as Disney, the creative rights become the property of the studio.

Many times the movie we see bears no relationship at all to the script it was based on, thus the story the screenwriter made doesn't get told.

The studio will rewrite the screenplay/script many times over to suit the needs of the demographics they are targeting. This is done to get the most buck for the film. Bottom line here is to get as much hard earned cash as possible. Studios do not really care that the story a person wrote, though important to him/her doesn't get told from the screenwriters prespective.

This is why independent film is so important to the filming community. If you can write, direct, and produce the film yourself, you can keep most of your creative control.

John Phoenix ( I just threw this out there for those who don't know.)

Jademz
User

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 8:00 PM
Esotek Wrote:For some reason the interview Martin did with Bonnie MacBird for Tron-Sector back in 02 is no longer in the Interviews archive so I will post it here...

The following Q&A was conducted by Martin Fisher via email in 2002.

Wow, this kinda threw me back reading the history of TRON like this. I hadn't realized there was such a huge change in the movie, but this just changed many opinions I had - simply because I didn't know about it.

I can't believe that they couldn't work out making the whole thing 2 parts, something that pulls it both directions with the amount of material they must have tossed I can't even imagine what those guys wanted to do could be such a big deal.. but I wasn't there.

I'm really impressed by the talent they have though. I can't believe people think she shouldn't be in the credits.
cough(someone needs to stop k-a)
The part where Bonnie states in the opening of the movie, the part she didn't understand being how they show Sark on the grid but still inside an arcade while kids are going against him, well that is obvious, maybe she meant that in a different method of thought.. man alot went into this film...

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 8:50 PM
That scene made sense to me because:

Kid in the real world is playing a game and you've got programs pretty much playing "Life or Death"...

Kinda a dramatic allusion in play: People don't die in real life if they lose a game ... programs aren't so lucky.

Never understood how that was hard to understand. O_o

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Jademz
User

on Thursday, April, 02, 2009 11:20 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:That scene made sense to me because:

Kid in the real world is playing a game and you've got programs pretty much playing "Life or Death"...

Kinda a dramatic allusion in play: People don't die in real life if they lose a game ... programs aren't so lucky.

Never understood how that was hard to understand. O_o

That makes perfect sense Kia.
even though it is sort-of an odd sequence - when you start the movie with a guy playing a arcade game, versus a guy who pirated the software, Sark. He's in there because of Encom, but then he could be anywhere. Which must frustrate the crap out of a writer to see the opening so subtle.

So a virtual arcade type atmosphere in the lab- which holds that crazy MCP, I do have some sympathy for the authors of Tron. I've lost a little respect for the author credits shuddering at the thought. OK over it...

I'm a little sad.. it was influential and inspirational, now there's more to be desired from the different angles imo..

I'm glad it was made, and wonder what happened behind the scenes..
(I had to edit this, it was notes when I posted it sleep walking) haha
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Bonnie MacBird