Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Flynn and Clu should have fought in an all out Disc battle!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
MCPcomputer
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2012 2:13 AM

I don't know I will never forget the epic disc battle between Tron and Sark....
but I am a little dissapointed we didn't get to see an epic Disc battle between CLU
and Flynn.. i mean think about it! It could have been great..

Or do you think Flynn is to old now..
and doing his Zen thing!?

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
Great Tron 3 blog, with news links and artwork
http://tron3movie.blogspot.com/

Kat
User

RE: Flynn and Clu should have fought in an all out Disc battle!

on Saturday, October, 13, 2012 9:47 AM
I'd rather have seen it between Clu and Tron (and it'd be a better tie-in, though I don't see Clu and the MCP or Sark as being anything alike).

I'm still not convinced Flynn was necessarily any sort of fighter. He's never shown as such. We know he can ride a motorcycle (or at least a lightcycle), and we know he can win at jai alai against a chubby non-athletic type who gets out of breath when he runs out for the T-bills, but we never see if he can fight with a disc.

In the betrayal scene in T:L, Tron simply tells him to run, rather than the two of them fighting side-by-side. And you could argue two ways: either Tron wants him out of there because he knows Flynn is what Clu is after and he doesn't want to take a chance that Clu will get him, or Tron wants him out of there because he knows Flynn can't fight well.

Perhaps in the games he's shown as fighting, but he's not in any of the other sources I know of. He's a programmer, not a fighter. He'd be more likely to worm his way out of situations, I think, before they even start.

(Tangent that totally rambles off-topic: Sam I could see as being the type who has gotten into a lot of fights growing up and might know a bit about it, but Flynn is, in general, too happy-go-lucky and outgoing [in a way Sam probably could've been if he didn't have screwed-up attitude problems] to get into fights much, I think. [I see Flynn and Sam as essentially having the same sort of personality-- generally outgoing, independent, questioning of authority, a bit belligerent-- but they're different incarnations of what that personality becomes according to different life circumstances-- like, Sam is what Flynn could've become if he'd had some fucked-up stuff happen in his life, and Flynn is what Sam probably would've grown into if all that crappy stuff hadn't gone down when he was a kid. And oh, yes, I could totally take each of them apart further if this was the thread for that ])

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

MCPcomputer
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2012 1:41 PM

I was just thinking after I made this thread,
yes CLU and Tron disc war!
I mean the ending should have had more fighting...
I did like the Light Jets..
and sam flynn did kick ass with his Disc...
when he went to kill CLU's guards...

But still at the very end...
i wanted a disc battle! I was kind of sad about this
when the I 1st saw Tron Legacy.

Well Flynn did like you said win that easy disc battle in the first Tron.
And we know he can kick ass in Light Cycles.
But since he wrote the tank program, I'm sure he could pilot a tank pretty well also...
and well we know he can fly a Reco.

The only time I saw him fight directly... was when Sark passed him..
he punched the program who was at the end of the line..
then he took his power away and then turned Red.

But you are right, we never saw him use his Disc,
only fight in matches and with Light Cycles etc....

Flynn in a tank taking out Recos...
in Tron 3... i want to see him live Space Paranoids live!
that would be awesome!!

So the MCP will be in Tron 3 right?
I can't wait for this movie it will be the best!

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
Great Tron 3 blog, with news links and artwork
http://tron3movie.blogspot.com/

Gridbug95
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2012 11:23 PM
Flynn taking out recos, sam and quorra on lightcycles, tron fights sark 2.0 or whoever the villian is ganna be

BanditTron
User

on Sunday, October, 14, 2012 12:47 AM
Yeah, I'm with Kat. I would have loved to see a disc battle between CLU and re-repurposed Tron. It definitely would have been Epic!

I could see K. Flynn going all "Neo Matrix-style" on any attackers.

Unknown
User

on Sunday, October, 14, 2012 1:21 AM
I don't think Flynn had anything for CLU because he was hiding in the outlands but we could see Sam or Tron VS Dillinger Jr in the next film. Tron was under the Sea of Simulation during the reintegration blast so he could have survived.

LORD_Z3DD
User

on Monday, October, 15, 2012 10:18 AM
Kat Wrote:I'd rather have seen it between Clu and Tron (and it'd be a better tie-in, though I don't see Clu and the MCP or Sark as being anything alike).

I'm still not convinced Flynn was necessarily any sort of fighter. He's never shown as such. We know he can ride a motorcycle (or at least a lightcycle), and we know he can win at jai alai against a chubby non-athletic type who gets out of breath when he runs out for the T-bills, but we never see if he can fight with a disc.

In the betrayal scene in T:L, Tron simply tells him to run, rather than the two of them fighting side-by-side. And you could argue two ways: either Tron wants him out of there because he knows Flynn is what Clu is after and he doesn't want to take a chance that Clu will get him, or Tron wants him out of there because he knows Flynn can't fight well.

Perhaps in the games he's shown as fighting, but he's not in any of the other sources I know of. He's a programmer, not a fighter. He'd be more likely to worm his way out of situations, I think, before they even start.

b] ])

Thing is, I cant buy the fact that Flynn being the creator of the system and aparently having unlimited power in the grid just sits there while his best friend (Tron) is aparently killed by CLU and then sits around doing nothing again while his OWN SON risks his life to save the last ISO, that made flynn look like a coward.

The only useful things that flynn does in the entire movie are turning the lights off in the end of line Club ,reprograming a system monitor and self destructing with CLU.

He could have used the reprogrammed system monitor to make a distraction for Sam , or seeing how he is able to create new programs he could have created a bodyguard for himself, or better, he could have resurrected Anon from the Evolution game to help them get to the portal.

But he did none of this , he just sat there while Quorra and Sam did the fighting,which doesnt make any sense, seeing how he is aparently the most powerful of the three, even if he cant fight in hand to hand combat.

Kat
User

on Monday, October, 15, 2012 9:57 PM
LORD_Z3DD Wrote:
Thing is, I cant buy the fact that Flynn being the creator of the system and aparently having unlimited power in the grid just sits there while his best friend (Tron) is aparently killed by CLU and then sits around doing nothing again while his OWN SON risks his life to save the last ISO, that made flynn look like a coward.

The only useful things that flynn does in the entire movie are turning the lights off in the end of line Club ,reprograming a system monitor and self destructing with CLU.

He could have used the reprogrammed system monitor to make a distraction for Sam , or seeing how he is able to create new programs he could have created a bodyguard for himself, or better, he could have resurrected Anon from the Evolution game to help them get to the portal.

But he did none of this , he just sat there while Quorra and Sam did the fighting,which doesnt make any sense, seeing how he is aparently the most powerful of the three, even if he cant fight in hand to hand combat.

Not going to argue with you there, but I'm sure I could go off on a tangent about the psychological aspects of that too. But hell, let's just go with what's starting to become a mantra, lol: "I've written about it." (More than once. At least sorta.)

Flynn really becomes a hard guy to like sometimes within this franchise. Especially once you get into T:B. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean, we've got to be able to like the guy at least a little. In T82, that was possible. Sure he was immature and irresponsible, but he was a likable guy and in the end, he did the right thing. In T:L, not so much-- he just stood in horror while his friend died for him*, he gives up**, he was willing to let his son get stuck in there with him and only takes action when Sam forces his hand. And then he does some big heroic (but possibly unnecessary***) self-sacrifice thing at the end.

*I've questioned before whether he was right to run. If it was true he didn't have many fighting skills, he may just have gotten in Tron's way when Tron was fighting-- which may have been exactly what Tron DIDN'T want-- a distraction from a guy Tron knew wasn't good enough at fighting to defend himself. And, too, Tron was fighting TO make sure Flynn was safe-- if Flynn had disobeyed (as he was, actually, first inclined to do; Tron has to tell him twice, remember), Tron would be fighting for nothing because Flynn would still be there for Clu to pick off. Also, let's face it: if Clu can easily defeat frigging TRON, Flynn would've had no chance had he then gone back and tried to rush Clu, right?

**Again, maybe you can't really blame him. Dude went through a lot of shit. Even if we are ONLY talking about the events of T:L, he just lost his entire life. Witnessed genocide. Discovered he's fallible-- and possibly what his own darker tendencies may be capable of. That might be enough to break someone.

http://tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=445651

Then if you look at T:B, it gets worse. Dude's never there for the huge responsibility he took on of running an entire company. He's never there for his pregnant wife, nor, from the look of things, later his wife and kid. He's never there to fix things in the world he created (and is very flip about the problems he does know about). The arcade's barely even mentioned but I'm sure he's never there either. Once his wife dies, he's still never there for Sam, just sticks Jordan's parents with the responsibility instead. The whole thing makes you want to shake the guy and tell him to get a fucking grip.

Between the two sources, Kevin Flynn comes across as a still-irresponsible drama queen who hasn't learned a whole hell of a lot during a thousand cycles of exile.

The only thing I want to know is how he did apparently fight and it only made Clu stronger. We've speculated on that many times here but I'm not sure how close we've gotten to a workable/plausible/believable solution. I think the best we came up with (and I don't even remember whose idea this was) was: "The more he resisted, the more Clu was able to paint him as bad."

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Unknown
User

on Tuesday, October, 16, 2012 5:10 PM
Kevin Flynn wasn't perfect but I think that made his character more real and he did live to see his son again by running away. I'm sure the writers could figure out a way to bring him back in the next film if they really want to.

As far as making CLU stronger I assume the other programs were most likely threatened by Kevin Flynn's efforts to defeat CLU since Flynn was a user. Like some believe NATO's presence in the Middle East makes extremist groups stronger.

LORD_Z3DD
User

on Wednesday, October, 17, 2012 11:01 PM
Kat Wrote:

The only thing I want to know is how he did apparently fight and it only made Clu stronger. We've speculated on that many times here but I'm not sure how close we've gotten to a workable/plausible/believable solution. I think the best we came up with (and I don't even remember whose idea this was) was: "The more he resisted, the more Clu was able to paint him as bad."

If we go by ANY aditional source of information like the comics, Evolution or Uprising, then...Flynn never did anything , after being cornered by the black guards he just ran straight for his safe house in the outlands, found Quorra on the way and...just stayed there until sam arrived.

I dont know what Quorra meant when she said that Flynn tried to fight CLU, but aparently it wasnt a big battle or anything like that, seeing how easily he gave up the first time ,his "fight" with CLU went something like this:

Flynn: (Stands in front of the command ship): SURRENDER CLU!
CLU: ......no
Flynn: OH SH(Runs off with a bunch of sentrys chasing him) .

Youll think that being away from his only son would inspire him to fight harder, but no.

Kat
User

on Wednesday, October, 17, 2012 11:16 PM
LORD_Z3DD Wrote:
Kat Wrote:

If we go by ANY aditional source of information like the comics, Evolution or Uprising, then...Flynn never did anything , after being cornered by the black guards he just ran straight for his safe house in the outlands, found Quorra on the way and...just stayed there until sam arrived.

I dont know what Quorra meant when she said that Flynn tried to fight CLU, but aparently it wasnt a big battle or anything like that, seeing how easily he gave up the first time ,his "fight" with CLU went something like this:

Flynn: (Stands in front of the command ship): SURRENDER CLU!
CLU: ......no
Flynn: OH SH(Runs off with a bunch of sentrys chasing him) .

Youll think that being away from his only son would inspire him to fight harder, but no.

I don't recall any source suggesting he ran away right away-- everything I've seen has been quite vague on the subject-- but as we know, I'm completely unfamiliar with the games, so perhaps that's it.

I do sort of wonder about not trying to get back to Sam, though. However, even if he were to defeat Clu, he was still unable to open the portal from the inside...

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
You Are Not Online

Not Logged In

Sign In or Create An Account

I/O Tower