Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 STILL wondering how they lit Castor's cane!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Moses613
User

on Thursday, March, 07, 2013 4:53 PM
Okay, as the subject line says.... I am convinced the cane was not lit by CG, that it was a physical prop. I think most would agree. But for as much as I have watched Castor handle it, the light it gives off seems to come from...nowhere. It isn't lit with any kind of spotlight since when he moves it doesn't fade in and out, and even as he spins it, changes hands with it and so on, you're afforded a look at the entire length of the cane, sometimes during one continuous shot, and no internal light source is apparent.

When he's shot from above saying "Everybodaaaaaay!" you can see the crook has something in it, but right afterwards it's gone and you still can't see any other light source for the cane.

BTW, I thought that was one of the coolest shots in the movie which really made use of the 3D. That and when Sam and Flynn were shot with the camera looking down from above as they worked on Quorra. That gave you an idea that they were really friggin' far up above the Sea of Simulation.

BanditTron
User

RE: STILL wondering how they lit Castor's cane!

on Thursday, March, 07, 2013 6:52 PM
It's been replicated on therpf.com. The lightsource is in the handle which is covered by Castor's hand during use.
This one done by user kevinericon

These are pics from a D23 display of the screen used props

Moses613
User

on Thursday, March, 07, 2013 7:25 PM
Thanks. But what is D23 exactly?

BanditTron
User

on Thursday, March, 07, 2013 7:36 PM
Its the name of the Disney fan club.(named after the fact that Disney established in 1923) Every once in awhile they have fan club events and this was showcased at one of them.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Moses613
User

on Friday, March, 08, 2013 10:30 AM
That is indeed some very nice work, very club-worthy. But there are plenty of times when Castor isn't holding the cane by the handle and the handle looks clear, while when he's shot from above (everybodaaaaay!), you can see something in it. Maybe some CG was used after all to erase the light source.

I think the fact we're having a conversation about a friggin' prop CANE means it is one of the best practical effects in the movie! Cool!!

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

MCPcomputer
User

on Friday, March, 08, 2013 6:57 PM

Now this is really cool i need that cane... i need it!where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

Moses613
User

on Wednesday, July, 10, 2013 6:27 PM
I may be late in coming to this post, but thanks, and please see a recent post of mine wherein i have announced that i am going to make Castor's cane myself, and though i have not yet finalized the design, i intend for it to be both affordable and not too expensive.

There is not much info out there on how to make such a cane though. Some cosplayers have put forth a good honest effort at it but they usually get the bend wrong or do something in it's manufacture that i, with my fair degree of ingenuity and mechanical ability, know i could do bettrr, though i'm also going to make use of some of their ideas. I also intend to post as many puctures and detailed instructions as i can on how i did it, when i do it. So far my ideas do not involve anything especially difficult, require no special tools and are cheap, and yes, money is a consideration these days. I've askef many friends for ideas and suggestions, but people have so little actual mechanical ability these days or idea as to how anything is put together in this world, none of them had a single idea that was worth a dink. Not one. I realized i was on my own early on. So i did what i always do, which is think on what i need the finished product to be, then keep my ryes open for solutions. Doing this essentially programs your unconsciece-and yes i know i misspelled that-to tap you on the shoulder and let you know when ur loking right at a useable idea. Example.....i wss driving by an aquarium shop the other day and itoccured to me that, hey, they have clear plastic flexible air tubing in there. Maybe i could use a 1" thick iece of that to couple the cane and the flashlight together. They did. Problem solved. Task your subconscience to do something and it's then worki g for you like that in the background all the time.

My basic idea, just to give you a teaser, and though my fjnal tutorial will be more detailed, is to take a dollar store LED flashlight,the kind with the cylindrical shape, with 9 LEDs, powered by 3 AAA batteries, and attach it to the upper end of the cane with a very short (less than one inch long) piece of clear plastic tubing with a 1 inch inner diameter, using the tubing as a coupler. It's clear, sturdy enough and the end of the cane and head of the light can both be glued into it if i choose. Now isn't that a lot simpler and cheaper than using the screws, PVC pipe sections and NASA-grade expoxies? Most importantly, it closely approximates the look of Castor's cane.

Another way of doing it, though one which i favor much less due to it's devistion from Castor's cane, would be to use a dremel tool with a ball shaped cutter to cut a thjn channel down the length of the cane and lay a piece of EL wire in it, pick you color. 6 feet of this stuff with a AA power source is available on Ebay for 6 bucks, shipping included. The up side of this is that it would, i figure, be a LOT brighter and more uniformly so through the length of the cane, and the batteries would last a lot longer, but the down side is that it would look less like Castor's since you'd also have to secure the battety pack to the cane, probably best placed as high up on the body of the cane as possible. The channel itself can be flame polished after cutting the channel to smoth out the inside of the channel and make the channel as unobtrusive and clear as possible. After all, the closer the cane comes to having it's construction method and light source concealed, the better. It's supposedto glow as if lit by the surrounding pioer of the Grid, remember. The genius of this idea is that if the flashlight method doesn't work, the cane will still be left intact and i can try the EL wire method.

I still want to know how they did the prop as pictured. Obviously, the slit cut in the end of the light source is so that it can be unscrewed with a screwdriver and the batteries replaced, which is cool in that it keeps any cap on the end of the light, which would otherwise have to be loosened by hand, and thus not be flush with the end of the cane because there would have to be enough of it sticking out to be able to grab, from not being flush with the end of tbe handle. Clever indeed. But i also want to know how exactly they did the bend and did they modify a commercial flashlight or did they build their own? Of course the way we all know thet really did it wad to materialize the whole thing from a baton, which would also explain the lack of any machining marks or seams, just like all clothing seen in the Grid. Wish me luck and please pist any suggestions.

Moses613
User

on Thursday, July, 11, 2013 12:05 AM
Yes, i think it goes without saying that it's the coolest small/handheld prop in the movie, surpassed maybe even by the discs. Castor's top-down shot wss one of the best uses of 3D in the movie. He deserved such a vanity shot seeing as what a grandiose, self-important stuffed shirt he was. I think the cane in the movie was entirely a practical effect, also that there was p4obably just 8ne cane used in the movie, but that in some shots, depending on how he was holding it, the flashlight wasn't always installed. In shots where the end of the cane seems to have nothing in it and Castor is not holding it by the handle, i think the light source in that case is concealed in his sleeve or is accomplished with fiber optics as a light source with the driver (light source) up his sleeve with the ends of the fibers being in the palm of his glov, transmitting light into the cane. Contrary to what many think, fiber optic fibers do not radiate light from their sides, but only from ttheir ends. Even in those shots, you can see there is *something* in the handle, but i belive this is empty space into which a flashlight is later installed for other shots.   It is rather strange that as he adresses the MP3s and also when he does his 'EVERYBODAAAAAYYYY!'  that the light source is in those shots in the end of the cane and left plainly visible. Strange.   I would put the light source/flashlight i am going to use inside the end of the cane itself as the Disney prop makers did, but A;that would take some very tricky drilling/machining which would risk either cracking the cane or just not looking good or, worst of all, leave me with a useless piece of $20+ lucite rod. I am not a Hollywood prop department, i am not working on a movie with a bazillion-dollsr budget. Besides, the flashlight i am going to use is 1 inch around, as is the clear plastic rod i am going to use, so one cannot be made to fit into the other. Solution: my idea of using a half inch of clear flexible 1 inch inner-diameter tubing as a coupler.   Another reason i said earlier that i hsd seen many of them on the eeb but none which could not ude a lot of improvement is the example a cosplayer made for a con. He essentially machined the flashlight into the end of the handle. He used the same flashlight i intend to use. But what he didn't mention until the end was that he had to use a lucite rod that was 1 inch and 1/8th around, so the 1 inch fladhlight would be able to fit into it. But a wider cane means more material, and more material means more weight.....a LOT more, especially after lugging it around a cosplay con all day. He says so. Mine will be not really any heavier than a normal walking cane and will be comfortable to carry all day.   One other thing....i have vowed that my cane will be everyday-useable, which means it will have to have a rubber or shock-absorbing tip on the end. Only Castor's didn't, and to boot, a rubber tip will block any light from coming out of the tip which was one thing that made Castor's so cool. So, there will be a compromise...mine will have a white rubber furniture leg tip on it, the kind you get from the hardware store. These have worked just fine for me on wooden 1 invh diameter canes i have made in the past. Then i'll cut it a bit shorter, then i'll cut a nickel-sized hole out of the bottom of it, so that same point of light that Castor's had comjng out of the tip will be the same as with mine. I can't believe i had asked more than twenty people for ideas for this and not one of them suggested anything i am going to end up using.

One other thing that drives me up the wall:the guy whommade his own online mentioned that he benefitted from seeing the ones at the D23's website, but then posted none of those pictures or links to them. There are over fifty such D23 videos it could have been from, and a search for the keywords 'castor', 'cane' or 'tron' turned up nothing relevant.

Another thing i just though may be easier to do than bending a straight piece of clear rod so as to put a handle in it like Castor's would be to maybe buy a ready-made clear plastic cane-they're only sold with a full-on crook-and then bend it out of thst crook shape and into an L shape like Castor's. Hmmmmm.

where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Moses613
User

on Saturday, July, 13, 2013 1:58 AM
After again watching the movie in 1080p (blu ray disc on a HD set) and using some zoomed stop motion, and having a look at the prop cane, i am comfortable in saying the cane's only light source is a small LED flashlight in the handle. But how cool is it that it's just right there and hardly anyone knows the light source or can readily identify it?order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY