New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Java
User

KEVIN FLYNN'S BOOKS

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 8:29 PM
I came across this website and was very entertained, thinking it was all a joke
http://www.flynnfrontier.com/default.htm
It's a charming dedication to our beloved Kevin Flynn, but then I found something I didn't expect…
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300805014520
THE BOOKS ACTUALLY EXIST???

I suspect this to be TOTAL bootleg, but if the books are indeed genuine.
That's one piece of TRON merchandise I would actually obsess over

Anyone have any experience with these books?

END OF LINE.

ShadowSpark
User

RE: KEVIN FLYNN'S BOOKS

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 9:18 PM
A few copies were created for the Flynn Lives ARG. Since Disney was the one who sponsored that, at least some of the books are legit.

{A very big thanks to FlynnOne for the pic! And to Wulfeous for sharpening the details!*huggles both*}
{Because people always seem to guess wrong, I'm saying it here: I'm female!!! And my name is Spark!!!}

Tron Lives!

Please click here to help my family out.

Kat
User

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 10:05 PM
Ebay listing has gone, but interesting website. Once again I think they're building Flynn up a bit much again, but okay.

The "dedication" I found interesting, though. Either another slip, or another holdover from previous plans that were changed-- it mentions "7 years of marriage." However, obviously that doesn't fit the timeline we were given. My guess (based on this and a couple other things) is that their original plan was either to kill off Jordan much later than they did, or not kill her off at all, and that changed before the final script.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Java
User

on Friday, March, 22, 2013 10:17 PM
Thank you both for looking into it. Wether it meshes with the timeline or not, I'm still interested in acquiring copies of "The Digital Frontier" & "Existence In The Digital Realm".

If you run into someone willing to part with legit copies. I'm all ears.

END OF LINE.

LucrataNexarii
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 12:58 AM
You're not the only one who is interested, Java.

Those titles sound outright fascinating!

Letters sent to Disney: 7
Let them hear 'Tron lives!!'

Java
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 4:37 AM
LucrataNexarii Wrote:You're not the only one who is interested, Java.

HAHA No doubt, I'm sure.
The ebay listing I put a link up for had two copies, each sold in an hour.
Since it was from taiwan, it seemed fishy.

I did get a description of how the books are set up. It also heightened my suspicions, but now that I think about it, the description sounds logical.

"The Digital Frontier", as the seller described…
Book jacket as seen an flynnfrontier.com
hardcover printed with same images from book jacket
First three pages are title page, dedication, page one of first chapter…

here's where it gets fishy…

Seller said the next 75 or 200 pages (he wasn't clear) are cut out to make a hollow space for a book safe
Then the remained pages are glued together.

although that's kind of a let down, it would make sense that Disney would only take the books that far rather than actually write a bonified 400page special

if that is truly what the books are, then I recommend…
just paying to have the book jacket printed nicely at Kinko's
take book jackets to used book store
buy some old hard covers that fit the jackets
then cut out pages to make your own book safe

that will cost you maybe $15, instead of $70 the seller was expecting
abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

END OF LINE.

Java
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 4:49 AM
FINALLY!!
after some serious digging, I found a lead outside of the flynn lives campaign (meaning they're straight forward about the books and not participants of the ARG) that details the contents of the books.

http://www.argn.com/2010/12/flynn_lives_reaches_end_of_line_with_final_puzzles_and_free_screenings/
Apparently, "The Digital Frontier" was the only book from flynnfrontier.com that was actually printed. It is as the seller describes, a "book safe" because the 16 that were printed each contained a puzzle package.

The 16 participants who received the packages had to solve the numeric puzzles to unlock "secret transmissions" from Kevin Flynn

So to conclude the mystery, if you're desperate to track down one of the 16 copies, be my guest. Fat chance that they will even still have any of the original documentation from the puzzle package.

If you just want to sit pretty on a bookshelf in your office…better making your own book safe.

END OF LINE.

Java
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 5:16 AM

END OF LINE.

LucrataNexarii
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 5:56 AM
Only 16 seems so few a number, but in an age where information can be readily shared, perhaps it's not so surprising. After all, for items so relatively unique and rare, it would be a reasonable expense to produce them; anyone who solved such puzzles could easily share information en masse to the respective fanbase.

I've made a few book-safes in my time, mostly for amusement. They're curious things, and practical, if not reasonably novel... Er, no pun intended.

But otherwise, I can only echo my statement that I find it a pity that these books could not have been developed to a greater degree, and offer something of an interesting pseudo-biography, or a type of backstory, into Flynn's thought processes, ideas, range of hopes, or perspectives on in-universe workings and development of technologies in his age.

Letters sent to Disney: 7
Let them hear 'Tron lives!!'

Java
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 1:12 PM
The few pages that are written do have the touch of Flynn's personality. I was impressed by the effort, no matter how minimal.

I have downloaded sample images of the covers, and I'm going to try and put together some hi-res book jackets that can be printed out.

As far as acquiring complete Kevin Flynn books. Those appear to have yet to be written.

END OF LINE.

Kat
User

on Sunday, March, 24, 2013 10:41 PM
Java Wrote:
LucrataNexarii Wrote:You're not the only one who is interested, Java.

HAHA No doubt, I'm sure.
The ebay listing I put a link up for had two copies, each sold in an hour.
Since it was from taiwan, it seemed fishy.

I did get a description of how the books are set up. It also heightened my suspicions, but now that I think about it, the description sounds logical.

"The Digital Frontier", as the seller described…
Book jacket as seen an flynnfrontier.com
hardcover printed with same images from book jacket
First three pages are title page, dedication, page one of first chapter…

here's where it gets fishy…

Seller said the next 75 or 200 pages (he wasn't clear) are cut out to make a hollow space for a book safe
Then the remained pages are glued together.

although that's kind of a let down, it would make sense that Disney would only take the books that far rather than actually write a bonified 400page special

if that is truly what the books are, then I recommend…
just paying to have the book jacket printed nicely at Kinko's
take book jackets to used book store
buy some old hard covers that fit the jackets
then cut out pages to make your own book safe

that will cost you maybe $15, instead of $70 the seller was expecting

Strange, but it makes sense. I was wondering what writer in their right mind would write a bunch of books-- some of them highly-technical that would require legit research and such-- and then allow the name of a fictional character to be slapped on.

LucrataNexarii Wrote:Only 16 seems so few a number, but in an age where information can be readily shared, perhaps it's not so surprising. After all, for items so relatively unique and rare, it would be a reasonable expense to produce them; anyone who solved such puzzles could easily share information en masse to the respective fanbase.

I've made a few book-safes in my time, mostly for amusement. They're curious things, and practical, if not reasonably novel... Er, no pun intended.

But otherwise, I can only echo my statement that I find it a pity that these books could not have been developed to a greater degree, and offer something of an interesting pseudo-biography, or a type of backstory, into Flynn's thought processes, ideas, range of hopes, or perspectives on in-universe workings and development of technologies in his age.

I suspect it was more of Disney's desire to create publicity and demand by making things scarce; as we know, it certainly wouldn't be the first time they've done it with this franchise.

(I'm amazed by the sheer amount of effort they put into marketing a film that was a sequel to a 30-year-old film that is little more than a joke in most circles,TBH with you).

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Daft Tron
User

on Monday, March, 25, 2013 5:02 AM
There is nothing new about this, This was ongoing over at the arg forums a while back.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Collector 
 KEVIN FLYNN'S BOOKS