General Discussion 
 Bruce done with Tron

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Traahn
User

Bruce done with Tron

on Saturday, August, 01, 2015 1:44 AM
Sigh. Bruce Boxleitner says he's done with Tron franchise.  I can understand his frustration...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/01/bruce-boxleitner-talks-tron-3-cancellation-says-hes-done-with-the-franchise

I think Disney should maybe consider selling the Tron franchise to an Indie studio at this point, for a reasonable price... or donating it to them.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

EXODUS
User

RE: Bruce done with Tron

on Saturday, August, 01, 2015 10:52 AM
Well, I cant say I'm surprised by all this, and I understand exactly how he feels.

I've been doing some snooping around online, and from what I've seen the company has been in trouble for YEARS. In fact, even Roy Disney (who is Walt's nephew and the last surviving member of the Disney corporation still connected to the company) actually RESIGNED from it back in 2003, in effect pretty much severing the last connection the Disney family have with the company itself:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/business/media/30CND-DISN.html

To me this article speaks VOLUMES about how over the years the whole company has gone the way of many big film studios these days, where any ARTISTIC INTERGRITY and CREATIVITY has very slowly been CONSUMED by CORPORATE BUREAUCRACY in the boardroom.
Just look at the Disney Stores, they're absolutely crammed full of MERCHANDISE, the sole purpose of which is just to make MONEY!
This, needless to say, is why they're focusing everything on Star Wars, because has we all know EVERYONE LOVES STAR WARS, and EVERYONE will be spending MILLIONS on merchandising and cinema tickets, and Disney makes huge profits at the same time.

I get the feeling that if Walt was here today I think he'd be APPALLED at just how bad things have become within the company.

Monsters Inc? Disney Inc more like! :P

combatant_3
User

on Saturday, August, 01, 2015 4:02 PM
After reading what Bruce Boxleitner said, especially knowing how Uprising was treated, I think Disney needs to sell the rights to Tron to someone who will appreciate it and keep it alive.

flynn1978
User

on Sunday, August, 02, 2015 2:10 AM
Disney pulling the plug is unfortunate.  Thankfully, Bruce has already done so much with the franchise.  I look forward to whatever Bruce does next in his career.

"Happy is the man of reason who can face the world in season."

PH3AR
User

on Sunday, August, 02, 2015 4:25 PM
I'm not expecting Disney to get rid of the rights to the franchise, because that's just not how Disney operates. They don't get rid of stuff, and probably never will. However, I also don't expect this to be the last we see of the franchise, either, or of TRON himself. While Bruce may say this now... money is a very powerful persuasion. And with a rumored new game, and the ride on the horizon, I don't see Disney giving up on TRON just yet.

TRON: Gridlines
A new TRON community, for a new Digital Age.

Cyberwolven
User

on Tuesday, August, 04, 2015 2:06 PM
It's unfortunate that Disney has gone the way it has over the years.

There's some good gems that they have released within the past 10-15 years, but they tend to exhaust their resources on merchandising and advertisements for their more popular themed movies.

This reminds of the joke in Freakazoid about marketing...wait...here it is found it.
Freakazoid Toyetic Scene

I'm cold and calculating. Don't press my buttons.

RenegadeProgram
User

on Thursday, August, 06, 2015 10:21 PM
I agree-or better yet, maybe Lisberger could buy TRON back, and then get with an independent studio?

Fighting for TRON, The USERS, Both Flynns, Independents, and the mighty ISOs since '82.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Wednesday, August, 19, 2015 3:55 AM
It very very sad and disheartening to hear Bruce say that. :/

Though I think it would be cool if  Steve and Joe in colaberation with Relativity Media or Legacy Pictures, could buy the TRON IP rights...

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Bishop_Knight
User

on Saturday, August, 22, 2015 1:23 PM
With the success of Marvel and Star Wars franchises in their arsenal, in addition to some of Disney's recent flops or moderate ticket sales on riskier films, I'm not surprised.

Tron Legacy wasn't the greatest film and surely wasn't the best Tron sequel they could have come up with. With all the investment in promotional material they created for Legacy, trying to get fans hyped, I don't blame them for feeling like there isn't a big enough audience to create a sequel. I personally didn't want a sequel to Tron Legacy. I'd rather see a new cyber adventure in the Tron world. Maybe, it's time for a reboot so it can go back to it's roots. Well, at least we still have Tron 2.0 and the mods to hold us over until Disney gives Tron another try.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Bruce done with Tron