General Discussion 
 Small topics thread

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Kat
User

Small topics thread

on Sunday, October, 04, 2015 10:10 PM
Have you ever had one of those thoughts about the films that might be worth discussion, but might not be worth its own thread?  I feel like that sometimes, and so I never bring it up.  So I thought maybe we could have a whole thread for such things (especially since these days, there's not as much to discuss, since we've hashed through all the big issues enough times).

I've got a few thoughts that have occurred to me about the films, or about the universe.

1. In T:L, we see Sam with his shirt off a couple times.  In his apartment, we see him from the back (http://movies.homeofthenutty.com/displayimage.php?album=140&pid=150922#top_display_media), and he's got bruises and abrasions from his 'chute while base-jumping off of Encom Tower, as Alan observes.  It occurred to me that I'd more expect bruises on the front, since he would be jerked backward by the 'chute snagging and the straps would dig in (imagine what it's like when you're wearing a backpack and your friend yanks on it from behind).  I'd also guess it would be possible that the opening of the 'chute might jerk enough to cause some minor contusions and abrasions.

Later, in the Armory scene, we see him shirtless from the front (http://movies.homeofthenutty.com/displayimage.php?album=140&pid=151246#top_display_media).  No injuries.  Again, these would be expected, right?  Two explanations: 1: when making the film, they simply forgot about that (or didn't want to bother with it) and thought we would too.  (After all, in the Games Sam sustains a shoulder wound bad enough for him to be easily dripping blood... yet that amount of bleeding also seems to stop almost immediately, and he doesn't even seem to have any tenderness for the rest of the film.  And no, I don't believe users would heal that fast, sorry.)  2: when rezzing in, you don't carry any temporary injuries with you (this could be a good discussion topic in and of itself, I guess.  I think we've touched on it here before, but I'm not recalling how in-depth we might've gone.

2. Do you suppose a program's filepath is like its address?  Not long ago, I was looking through some old posts and came across one I'd made wondering how realistic it was that all of the programs lived in just one city, rather than spreading out, as people do.  I just realized: it could be realistic, if a program's filepath is its address.  So, to translate it to us, your filepath might be:

Earth/California/SanFrancisco/1212PennyLane/Apt144/EleanorRigby

On a Windows computer, maybe the program city is named Program Files, and there is an apartment building called Microsoft Office, where Excel and Word and Access live.

If that's the case, then programs might well live all in one place, right?  I'm still not 100% sure this would have necessarily been the case on Flynn's system-- as a "recreational" system, it's possible that some programs might say, "we want to move" and he might create a new directory.  (Which would mean we need to ask: the Isos did just that.  Did he make a new city, or did they essentially create their own directory??)

3. I was thinking about music, too.  Say, a MIDI file.  Or the playback on your music notation software.  When you play one of these, is it like an orchestra of programs assembled, as if you've hired session musicians?  Some software allows you to download different instrument packages-- is that like firing one set of musicians and hiring another?  And what does it sound like from the inside?  If you rezzed in and listened to them, would they sound like electronic instruments, or on the inside do they sound like acoustic instruments,, and the output on the user end is just electronic sounding?

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

compscareme
User

RE: Small topics thread

on Wednesday, October, 07, 2015 9:54 PM
I love TRON but know nothing about computers! I hope someone who is interested in both these kinds of thoughts and has knowledge of technology answers you.  I know at one time I was picking at the films, but I can't remember what my questions and thoughts were.

All that is visible must grow beyond itself, and extend into the realm of the invisible.
(Dumont)

Kat
User

on Wednesday, October, 07, 2015 11:23 PM
In these cases, I don't think a lot of technical knowledge is needed.  Especially since a lot of it is probably down to interpretation.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

digit
User

on Thursday, October, 08, 2015 7:19 AM
How would you guys feel about them being called apps instead of programs?   I think "program" is a relatively obsolete term in this day and age.

Greetings, apps!

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

CardioFunk
User

on Thursday, October, 08, 2015 7:38 AM
digit Wrote:How would you guys feel about them being called apps instead of programs?   I think "program" is a relatively obsolete term in this day and age.

Greetings, apps!
An App is a program with a user interface. Very few programs could be called that. The only ones that come to mind are the MCP and the first CLU. Yes Tron received data from Alan via the I/O tower, but the interaction wasn't quite the same as the above 2 conversing with users on the outside.

digit
User

on Thursday, October, 08, 2015 7:45 AM
CardioFunk Wrote:
digit Wrote:How would you guys feel about them being called apps instead of programs?   I think "program" is a relatively obsolete term in this day and age.

Greetings, apps!
An App is a program with a user interface. Very few programs could be called that. The only ones that come to mind are the MCP and the first CLU. Yes Tron received data from Alan via the I/O tower, but the interaction wasn't quite the same as the above 2 conversing with users on the outside.

Okay.  Thanks for clarifying.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, October, 14, 2015 1:13 AM
Just some fan art I'm working on. A work-in-progress here.....

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Kat
User

on Friday, October, 16, 2015 11:50 PM
Traahn Wrote:Just some fan art I'm working on. A work-in-progress here.....

Ooh, nice.  You should post it in the "artwork" forum.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Traahn
User

on Saturday, October, 17, 2015 12:29 AM
Kat Wrote:

Ooh, nice.  You should post it in the "artwork" forum.

Thank you   I considered that, but I didn't want to start a new topic for it.  Your thread seemed good for me... I don't like to start new threads. 

Kat wrote: Have you ever had one of those thoughts about the films... but might not be worth its own thread?
^-- This.  My 'thought about the film' is just in artistic form rather than words   Hope you don't mind.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread... just seemed like a nice place to put random stuff of whatever we wish. 

As for your original post, #2 is an interesting concept.  I guess in Tron Legacy, everything would just be dumped under one folder called "galapagos" ("C:\GALAPAGOS\_dump everything here at top level directory_"), hehe.

Kat
User

on Monday, October, 19, 2015 10:37 PM
Traahn Wrote:

^-- This.  My 'thought about the film' is just in artistic form rather than words   Hope you don't mind.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread... just seemed like a nice place to put random stuff of whatever we wish. 

Nope, that was precisely the idea!

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, October, 20, 2015 2:48 AM
Kat Wrote:

Traahn Wrote:

Nope, that was precisely the idea!

As Sark would say, *Niiiice!*

Kat
User

on Wednesday, October, 21, 2015 9:10 PM
Okay, another thought.  It starts at The Matrix but leads to Tron, I promise.

So, as we learn in The Matrix, the feeling of deja vu is a signal that something in the coding has been changed-- it's not just the feeling that you've done something before, but you literally have done it before, as Neo seeing the cat.  I think of it as a sort of glitch-- you know how when your CD or Youtube video skips, it doesn't always start back up in the same place but sometimes will go back a few seconds?  Similar concept, in my mind.  Even though they don't say so, I imagine it works the other way, too, just like it does with CDs-- where the glitch takes you forward a few seconds rather than back.  Ever had one of those times where you're not really paying attention to what you're doing, and realize you haven't any idea how you got from one end of a hall to the other, or similar?  It's like lost time?  In the Matrix, perhaps the sign of another glitch.

This idea could definitely carry through to the Tron universe.  You update your system... the programs experience a hiccup sometimes.  It sure makes sense.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

MCPcomputer
User

on Wednesday, October, 28, 2015 4:39 PM

Ok now that is very cool !

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
The Grid a Physical Frontier funny Tron Videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMViP_QtZ8

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, October, 28, 2015 6:44 PM
Thank you MCPcomputer!  

Kat
User

on Monday, December, 07, 2015 12:59 AM
I keep having weird thoughts pop into my head (it happens sometimes... when you can't sleep, when you're out on a run, when parts of your job are mindless... you have nothing to do *but* think, and anything is fair game).

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }
So... the point of Tron's entire existence is to protect the system he's installed on. I would imagine that a program feels its purpose very deeply, and failure must be pretty gut-wrenching (imagine how you would feel if you were a police officer or firefighter and weren't able to protect/save someone you were trying to... now imagine how much worse it would be if that's not just your job, but the one thing you were created to do...).

So, what if Tron has to make a choice: he can save a user, but the system will be destroyed... or he can let the user get killed to save the system. Remember that his primary directive is probably “protect the system,” and so if he does nothing else ever, this one thing is what he must do.  But... it's a user. Does he go against everything he was coded to do to save a user, whose life (we would argue from the outside, at least) is way more important than a system crash?  Or does he follow his directive, even if it costs a life (but, a user life)?

(OTOH... what if it's a server that holds the kind of information that is life or death in itself, if lost? Then what does he do? We assume that anything that important would be backed up, so everything would probably be okay, but would he know that?)

(In later versions of Tron, maybe he might be upgraded {either by Flynn, or by Alan once Alan finds out about the world inside the computer} to protect users, since users are expected to rez in, but the original Tron? Wasn't created with “users in the system” in mind.)

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Small topics thread