Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Tron-Sector will be turning 20 at the end of the year...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Auric
Sector Creator

on Saturday, July, 15, 2017 4:25 PM
Hard to believe, but it's true! It started as Auric's Home Sector and quickly became Tron-Sector within a year. With this milestone I'll be revamping the site with a look that is both new and a nod to the past. An upgraded Forum and tons of themes will be coming.

More on this as we get closer to the end of the year!

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

EXODUS
User

RE: Tron-Sector will be turning 20 at the end of the year...

on Sunday, July, 16, 2017 2:07 PM
Wow! How about that?

Never realized it had been going that long. 

Given how much computor technology has changed a lot over the last twenty years  I bet it looked a lot differant back then...

Auric
Sector Creator

on Sunday, July, 16, 2017 6:17 PM
Actually the old site held up pretty darn well visually. I never got this 'look' to how I liked it, so expect a merging of old and new. For those curious... Here is a look back from 15 years ago on the Wayback machine. Oldest entry was from when it started cataloging the site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030424025606/http://www.tron-sector.com:80/

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

TRON.dll
User

on Wednesday, July, 19, 2017 6:12 PM
Excited to see the changes! It looks like the site's been cleaned up a lot since the last time I was here, as well!

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

EXODUS
User

on Thursday, July, 20, 2017 6:36 AM
Auric Wrote:Actually the old site held up pretty darn well visually. I never got this 'look' to how I liked it, so expect a merging of old and new. For those curious... Here is a look back from 15 years ago on the Wayback machine. Oldest entry was from when it started cataloging the site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030424025606/http://www.tron-sector.com:80/
When exactly was it lasted updated? Was it after I joined because that image looks somewhat familiar to me...

sidrawat
User

on Thursday, July, 20, 2017 6:36 AM
Hard to believe it's been more than 19 years. congrats team. You guys rock!

Data Lists, Data List Broker, Direct Mail Lists

Driver
User

on Thursday, July, 27, 2017 12:45 PM
Already 20 years?! Well done, programs!!

Is there a chance we might see some more behind the scenes content?? The concept and costume test galleries were awesome.

"can I have someone your popcorn?! 8-o

laphtiya
User

on Saturday, November, 04, 2017 7:44 PM
wow really 20? That's awesome!

Rebeca73
User

on Wednesday, November, 15, 2017 1:27 AM
Wow.. Its sounds great to that site is about to change soon as i was a member of this site about one year ago then due to some issues i neglect this and can't gave my proper time to this forum. Now i am here again with new account and motivation. Just used some codes for receiving huge discounts on this seasonal sale. Recommending you all try these once hope you all will admire. Black Friday Promo Codes 

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, November, 21, 2017 11:25 PM
sidrawat Wrote:Hard to believe it's been more than 19 years. congrats team. You guys rock!
You have Auric to thank for that he did it all by himself the old fashioned way of hard coding everything. Been around since then. LOL Going to sound like a grumpy old program and almost say we had to walk both ways backwards and up hill in neck high snow. LOL. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DrP
User

on Monday, April, 30, 2018 7:54 PM
Yes, any word about the update?

Any thoughts on transitioning the backend of the forum to something like phpBB?

END OF LINE

Traahn
User

on Wednesday, October, 24, 2018 1:11 AM
I just happened to stumble upon a snapshot I made of the old 3gcs.com website from way back when. It was one of the Tron sites one could go to long ago for Tron info. I don't have all the files, just a snapshot. It's mentioned on the home page that it's merging into Tron-Sector, and has an image of Auric's Home Sector. I thought I'd share a few screenshots from the snapshot...

EDIT: Sigh, the forum compressed them a lot when I posted, so they're hard to read. I have no idea if it's possible to show higher resolution. I guess you could right-mouse button on each image, copy the URL, and paste it in your browser...

---

---

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, October, 24, 2018 3:26 AM
Very 90's looking there!

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

RevTek
User

on Friday, October, 26, 2018 6:25 PM
You can right click and view image.

That is an amazing find, man.

Traahn
User

on Sunday, October, 28, 2018 2:32 AM
Thanks, RevTek! I guess the Internet Wayback Machine has much more than me, though! For example... https://web.archive.org/web/20010124052100/http://www.3gcs.com:80/tron/

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

TronFor
User

on Thursday, November, 01, 2018 11:55 AM
Looks like something from the dawn of the internet. But i like that square design, now everything is rounded like buttons and divs and what not. Looks like it used Tables?

Check out this TRX Forum

Compucore
User

on Friday, December, 14, 2018 12:04 PM
A lot has changed since the very beginning when HTML was introduced. And many add ons. updates with mixing with extensions like ASP, PHP, and a few others that have made things easier for web developers. Including some Java stuff that is slowly dying out nowadays. Flash is no long the top contender as it used to be. And web drowser changes as well. 

I look at it from a hardware perspective for personal computers how much they have changed since the late 70's to todays most modern computers. Way back then most computers could only display text back then with cheesey graphic which we though was fantastic for its time and when comparing it to todays HD versions of games its like Holy snicker doodles its like night and day. 

I remember the good old days of using Bulletin board systems to log in locally to system operators for chatting with others for fun. With a dial-up modems that were like anywhere from 300 baud-56K. And uploading and downloading my messages that way when I was offline from a particular BBS. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DrP
User

on Friday, December, 14, 2018 12:36 PM
I too remember the good old BBS days.  Hearing the wine of the modem and connecting to a local BBS where you would only be given a certain time limit to hang around.

Although the software and hardware we have available today are infinintely better, there was a certain charm to communicating with this old systems.  Some of these older sites, like tron-sector, seem to bridge the gap between the old and the new.

One of the earlier posts indicate that tron-sector was supposed to get an update but I guess that hasn't happened.  It's a little sad to see that most of the posts on here now are spam bots.  This board needs some moderators or better spam protection.  I remember how lively and active it was around the time Tron Legacy was released.  It's really been quite in the last few years but I'm not sure if that is because there is less interest in Tron or seeing countless spam posts are off-putting to new users.

Regardless, I am still happy that there are independent boards like tron-sector and not every hobby discussion is done on either facebook or reddit.

END OF LINE

Compucore
User

on Friday, December, 14, 2018 3:31 PM
There is still an application out there for a more modern computer that you can still make a BBS that you can log into through the INTERNET as well as the old fashion way like dial up. I have an old server that I will be using to do this. Just don't have the time like I used to do all this. If you are interested in making something similar. http://www.synchro.net.

The application is small and can be used under windows, linux and I think MAC OS as well. LOL Takl about being old and still finding these applications still being updated from the original authors. 

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion