General Discussion 
 Sark Shoulder Pads

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Starbase101
User

Sark Shoulder Pads

on Friday, October, 05, 2018 12:34 AM
Does anybody know what precisely was used on David Warner's costume for the shoulder pads? I know, "hockey gear", but that hardly narrows it down. Sark has a unique shape to his shoulder pads that I have not been able to I.D. yet. Anyone here know? Or has a friend who might know? At least the brand would be a good start. Thanks.

Starbase101
User

RE: Sark Shoulder Pads

on Wednesday, October, 10, 2018 9:27 PM
Well, this site appears to be nothing but a bunch of cold circuits. Member activity is nearly nonexistent, moderator and administrator messages get bounced back for invalid addresses, and spam is all over (spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, and spam). Seems like a dead web site here. Disappointing.

RevTek
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2018 2:48 PM
Yeah, it is a bit slow here.

I am not 100% sure, but you may want to look into vintage Cooper hockey pads.
As in the brand is Cooper.

If it isn't 100% screen accurate you may be able to boff it a bit, as they look similar.

Hope that helps.

Starbase101
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2018 3:01 PM
Thanks, I've been looking at Cooper, as well as Jofa, Bauer, Sherwood, and CCM. None are a close enough match yet for purchasing, but one of the CCM sets is close except the shoulder cup is cloth-covered (which I could remove if there's a hard plastic shell underneath) and the bicep pad is a different shape: https://ccmhockey.com/en/product/protectives/player/shoulder-pads/1899-shoulder-pads#sm.0000vacsc5pj5cneumg1n1xtfdthz, however that set also is not available so it isn't helpful anyway.

Why do you say they are Cooper pads? Do you have a reference to corroborate that or is it just a guess?

RevTek
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2018 9:04 PM
I just remember my cousin's old hockey set and how much it looked like Tron when I was kid. Years later I found out they actually used hockey components so it sort of just stuck with me. His was a Cooper chest with attached shoulder pads deal.

Depending on your level of commitment, I'd almost assume you could fashion nearly a similar style from any vintage set from the early 80s that hits close. It is more about the color scheme (and Sark's helmet) than the size ratio of the pads.

I'll bop around the web a bit, see if I can find anything definitive.

Starbase101
User

on Saturday, October, 13, 2018 11:33 PM
It's a high-budget project with custom flexible EL panels and Lumilor EL paint (and custom inverters so they operate quietly) for the 40th anniversary in 2022. I've already got the correct Cooper helmet and Jofa bicep pads for my son's Tron costume (still tracking down Jofa shoulder cups of the correct shape and size - each cup I've bought so far has turned out being either too small or too large), but haven't yet been able to officially I.D. the pads used for Sark. They look identical to what his officer is wearing (the one who marches up the steps to arrest Dumont) which suggests they might be motocross pads rather than hockey. Today at a local sporting goods exchange shop I found vintage Bauer shoulder pads that were a very close match to Sark's, just needed the cup swapped out and a shoulder strap added, but sadly they were just a little too small. If I end up not finding the correct pads before it's time to start work on that area then I'll just make them from scratch. The soft part of the pads will be scratch-built either way for correct color and internal lighting/wiring. I'm hoping to find the vintage pads for disassembling to draw a pattern from.

Starbase101
User

on Sunday, October, 14, 2018 10:36 AM
I agree completely, probably even with the items you didn't mention. I've been a fan of TRON since before the movie was even released, and Legacy pretty much just wrecked it for me. An overall bad movie that didn't even look like a TRON film. I have not seen the Solo movie nor do I intend to as it just looks too lame, and especially after the horrible Last Jedi excuse for a Star Wars film. Same goes for all the recent Marvel rubbish that's been coming out of "the machine". Disney seems to be more about cash cows lately than making good movies. Yet, fandom still continues even if focusing on only the "good" movies in a franchise so I am surprised how inert the "main site" dedicated to TRON seems to be, considering current activity on other sites even more obscure than TRON. And it's sad that Disney is building more Legacy-themed attractions in their parks (i.e. Lightcycle Power Run in Florida) instead of representing the better movie. A classic lightcycle VR attraction similar to Star Tours except single-occupancy "seats" where riders actually battle against each other in a last-man-standing lightcycle grid complete with recognizers overhead if you look upwards would be WAY cooler in my opinion, especially if the simulation included an ability to execute Flynn's escape for exploring bonus new content not shown in the movie. But Disney has lost focus and keeps regurgitating old franchises (except the best one) instead of producing original adventures or indulging fans with what they really want. (I went to Disneyland expecting to spend hundreds of dollars on TRON souvenirs in Tomorrowland only to find nothing, not a single one, not even a lanyard pin, not even anything from Legacy - zilch!) Walt is probably face-palming at what his enterprise has become.

Anyways, back to the quest of identifying what product was used by Disney for David Warner's shoulder pads.

RevTek
User

on Wednesday, October, 17, 2018 3:31 PM
Tomorrowland scuttled Tron 3. It failed so hard it killed alot of properties in the pipeline.

As much as I would love a sequel I did not like the whole Matrix/Mr. Smith concept of programs invading the user world and mucking things up. Jared Leto's involvement at one point only made it worse. As far as Walt facepalming, I can confirm that Ron Miller is acting as proxy from what I've heard first hand.

I'm still bopping around. I asked a few people I know who have built stuff but have gotten no confirmations. I have some old Starlogs at home, sometimes those articles will mention stuff in the interviews (hey, it is how I found out at a young age how Star Wars blasters were built).

Being a fan it is tough, there isn't much out there. I went rogue and started digitally jamming a fanfic comic.
SHAMELESS PLUG <-- you can read it here

If I stumble upon anything I'll be sure to check back. Let us know if you happen upon the right one!

Good luck, program!

Starbase101
User

on Wednesday, October, 17, 2018 11:10 PM
I've got old Starlogs too, as well as the Cinefex TRON issues, and various other collectible publications from when the movie came out.  Believe me, I researched Sark's pads thoroughly in my attempts to i.d. them before asking for input here in hopes somebody might know someone who knows a friend who was involved in the original costume construction and can still recall what product was used. I know it's a long shot - I can't even remember what I ate for dinner last week, so something I did 40 years ago?  Nope.

kiarawillson92
User

on Thursday, October, 18, 2018 7:32 AM
Well, if you feel that members are near to non-existent and nobody is active then why don't you become active and start posting and interacting with newbies?

Starbase101
User

on Thursday, October, 18, 2018 9:37 AM
kiarawillson92 Wrote:Well, if you feel that members are near to non-existent and nobody is active then why don't you become active and start posting and interacting with newbies?
Well, this thread is the only one that's been active here for roughly a month (most of the "recent" threads here are several months old or more).  There isn't much point posting in old threads, and in fact "necro-posting" is often frowned upon at forums.

KiaPurity
User

on Friday, October, 19, 2018 8:39 PM
Hmm, wonder if that detail is in one of my Tron books

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Alexes
User

on Thursday, January, 24, 2019 12:29 AM
I have seen the Pakistan player Muhamad Hafeez he wore a pad and it's looking great by stuff.

Alipromocodes

Starbase101
User

on Friday, February, 01, 2019 8:30 PM
I have acquired the correct chest protector for Sark's shoulder pads (also used on Sark's personal assistant program). Stupid forum rules prevent me from sharing a photo, but it's a vintage Hallman USA chest protector from the early 80's.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Sark Shoulder Pads