General Discussion 
 Spirituality and Tron

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Trace
User

Spirituality and Tron

on Tuesday, December, 31, 2002 3:27 PM
Well, it may be a stretch, but recently a friend of mine watched Tron with me on a big 36" screen--great fun! But she kept pulling out all this spiritual connotation that I'd never noticed before, such as the fighting with "identity" disks. It was a cool thought that when Tron was being attacked, it was an attack on his identity--who he was, how he saw himself or believed himself to be. And when he stood firm on what he believed, he became a stronger fighter. I don't think the writers meant that, but I liked the extrapolation.

Compucore
User

I guess its all in interpreting it

on Tuesday, December, 31, 2002 4:41 PM
I guess sometimes it's done on a sub concious level without realizing it too. Sometimes you don't see it at first but your subconcious will pick it up. Without relazing it. I have noticed that a few tims on certain films. Then only realizing it afterwards.

where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Tuesday, December, 31, 2002 4:49 PM
Cool. I never thought of it that way before. Kinda gives even deeper meaning to the movie. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Trace
User

No Title

on Tuesday, December, 31, 2002 4:52 PM
Heh! I know. I was like, "Sheesh, I've seen this movie umpteen times--she sees it once and is getting all this deep stuff out of it." Twas fun.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Tuesday, December, 31, 2002 7:16 PM
That's interesting, however it seems to me that this is less a matter of spirituality. That's the users. The users are concidered the unknown, something they have to have faith in in order to believe, which is spirituality. But the identity disks are substance to them, something like our brains are to us. With that, it may seem like the story is conveying that they are 'pitting their brains against each other' when having a disk duel.

This is an interesting topic.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Trace
User

No Title

on Tuesday, December, 31, 2002 7:33 PM
I agree that from a program's point of view within the storyline, the users are godlike. However the concept of an attack on the identity is more something for the viewer of the film to ponder, somewhat outside of the plotline of the film. It's interesting to note that Flynn, a user, never utilizes his identity disk as a weapon. There's no question in his mind who he is, and his identity (in the form of his identity disk) is never challenged. This is just one other thing that sets his character apart as a user.

As a Christian, I find this kind of deconstruction interesting where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Wednesday, January, 01, 2003 7:52 AM
Yea, I see what you mean.

This could also be a kind of representation of how each character/program/combatant's abilities is a mathmatically literal thing with very distinct and defined edges and limitations, and is determined during their creation by a user. Unlike Flynn, who isn't nearly as 'predetermined' as they. Another reason he might not have used his disk is that in that world he has no identity that either can be represented or represents itself in their measured way.

You know what would have been cool? It would have been cool if Bit that belonged to Clu could have, when found and recognized Flynn, been able to transfer Clu's "spirit" to Flynn and that only "then" he could interact with the computer world. Before that he didn't know how to fight good or at all, heck even barely knew how to walk, if you know what I mean. But Bit could have been the means that Flynn be made to alter his persona into a possible and explainable equal to the warriors there, and could be something he brought back with him in the real world other than memories.

Hm.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Driver
User

No Title

on Saturday, January, 04, 2003 10:21 AM
Tron's meaning can go way deep. If programs were created by us for a purpose, then surely we must've been created for a purpose....

Oh, andTrace, you should invite your friend to visit the forums!order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

"can I have someone your popcorn?! 8-o

Trace
User

No Title

on Saturday, January, 04, 2003 11:24 PM
She's not online, Driver. Or else I would

tronclone
User

more than meets the optic-unit

on Wednesday, January, 08, 2003 1:13 PM
I too am a Christian follower and see the comparisons to faith. The programs talk about "users out there' who control them. I see links between spirituality and technology in many things. After all, humans have a 'master programmer' who created us as free-will programs but we have been infected by a virus that wants to destroy life. But not to get too deep.

I think I'm a Clone Now

Trace
User

No Title

on Wednesday, January, 08, 2003 1:29 PM
"Those who continue to profess a belief in the Users will be given the standard SUBstandard training, which will result in your eventual elimination." -Sark

I loved the User/God element of the film and how the powers-that-be were attempting to usurp the position of the Users in a Lucifer-type of way. Although that may lead to a Christ/Flynn comparison (ouch!). I think I'd lean more toward a Michael/Flynn comparison (Michael being the Archangel that threw Lucifer from heaven).on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

tronclone
User

more

on Thursday, January, 09, 2003 9:44 AM
I like your thinking and knowledge Trace, not mocking or condescending. I don't believe in beating people over their head but I'm also not afraid to talk about God, spirituality and faith.

I think I'm a Clone Now

foilism
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 09, 2003 3:47 PM
I like this tread, it brings a new angle to the film.
In the quotes section of this site - to the left - there's a quote of a Dr. John Lilly, he talks about spirituality in tron, and man he delves deep. He talks all about the different roles of programs and their similarities to the user. Cool stuff.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Trace
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 09, 2003 4:24 PM
Thanks, tronclone Contrary to my actions on this board , I try to base my actions on those of Jesus. He never beat anyone over the head with what he said and believed and was.

foilism, thanks for pointing out that link. I'll have to check it out!

tronclone
User

sci-fi spirituality

on Thursday, January, 09, 2003 8:08 PM
as a fan of sci-fi, I'm challenged to find similarities between the subjects of some of major sci-fi movies and spirituality. From Tron, SW and matrix, there is a parallel idealogy that there is a greater power around us, and the characters in the movies. They try to discover or deal with 'what is real', 'what is feelings' and what is the 'tie that binds it all together'. "Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter..." Yoda says, "The matrix is all around us..." Morpheus says and the digital beings in Tron wonder if "There are users out there".
We must close our eyes and see with our hearts, for from out of the heart of man comes good or evil, whatever is in the heart of man.

I think I'm a Clone Now

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Thursday, January, 09, 2003 8:50 PM
"All things visible must grow beyond themselves, and extend into the realm of the invisible."-Dumont

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

king_yugi2003
User

Re: Spirituality and Tron

on Tuesday, May, 17, 2005 3:00 PM
That is cool. I'm not sure I ever really tried to look at TRON from that perspective. Heck, would probably make a great Senior Thesis. (If I could only find the articles to use as resources )order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

laphtiya
User

on Wednesday, May, 18, 2005 4:37 AM
Yeah I've noticed more of that connection the more I watch Tron, its really interesting and gives the movie a whole new perspective. Maybe thats why a few of my more "eccentric" friends believe that Tron is real lol.

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Wednesday, May, 18, 2005 11:18 AM

The movie seems to start out that way, but then kind of dwindles off on the subject.

Conduit
User

on Wednesday, May, 18, 2005 5:55 PM
Yeah, there is a lot of spiritual philosophy in Tron. One thing that struck me, but no one else seems to have noticed is the difference between the perceptions of users and programs. Users believe programs to be mindless pieces of code, unable to feel emotion or even think. Yet, when we go into the computer, we find that programs are just as sentient and self aware as us. On the other hand, programs believe the users to be all knowing and possess ultimate wisdom. I'm sure everyone can agree we aren't that. There's a question of whether our relationship with God is like that.

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 Spirituality and Tron