General Discussion 
 A misconception surrounding "TRON"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
Trace
User

No Title

on Friday, January, 17, 2003 4:01 PM
I would like to agree with JediUnit just on the fact that there is no "right" or "wrong" here. Specifically to ProgramBASIC, it's great that you feel so strongly about what you believe---just please allow others the space to disagree with you.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Compucore
User

Yes Trace is right on that.

on Friday, January, 17, 2003 6:05 PM
Yes Jediunit. Trace is right on that one. We all have our own opinion. There is no real right or wrong answer to these. to you you might find that it is not ahead of its time. While people like myself. (And I don't know about trace. She can correct me on this.) Find that it is ahead of its time. We can agree to disagree on things like this without getting to each other throats on it.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Friday, January, 17, 2003 6:35 PM
I was enjoying the topic. Makes a nice debate.
I don't mind TheJediUnits opinion. He's given me a few debating ideas which would come in handy if I ever needed to do a paper on Tron. Thanks.
I'ts great to see other views from other programs.
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Trace
User

No Title

on Saturday, January, 18, 2003 2:29 AM
Oooh, a paper on Tron! If you write it, you'll have to put it on the web for all us fanatics to enjoy!

Program BASIC
User

Eheheheh

on Saturday, January, 18, 2003 12:33 PM
"God and "daily life in a computer" cannot. They seem very clear to you and I'm glad for you. But just be aware that as far as discussions go, they're just opinions. With that, I'm sure you'd agree I and others with differing opinions are not victims of "misconseption", right?"

THOSE ONES WHO CONTINUE TO PROFESS THEIR SUPERSTITIOUS TRUST IN THE USERS... WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DE-RESOLUTED !!!!!!!!!!!

is program's best friend. Don't betray it --- NEVER!

shaunklink
User

So much I havn't read in this post, but here goes

on Tuesday, January, 21, 2003 6:30 PM
Don't feel like reading everything right this min, so hopefully this wasn't stated above.

I'm going to school for game design right now and we did a brief little discussion on the Tron Arcade game. I noticed everyone was saying how the movie made money, even if not a huge amount. But the game was the first Movie to Game crossover AND it actually out grossed the movie the same year it came out. That I must say is kick ass.

All this info is probably above, but this is the 'cliff notes' for people who are leaving for work and have no time to read all threads

Program BASIC
User

Star who?

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 5:03 AM
Programs,

Lucas is everything BUT a *genius*. Lisberger created a whole narrative/estethic/graphic world from zero, picturing a "feeling", transmitting a re-sounding "vibe". He built up something who never graced our consciousness in the past.
Lucas stole elements from '50ies and '60ies pulp sci-fi masterworks (Flash Gordon - 1939, just to say a name) and concentrated it into a lame epic, in my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong, the SW movies are funny and entertaining, but *HIGHLY* overrated. Yes, the FX factor was slightly outstanding for the release time, but c'mon! These movies weren't groundbreaking just an HALF of how TRON managed to be.

TRON is far far far far superior than STAR WARS. TRON's philosophy was GENUINE, and far deeper. TRON's vision was totally groud-breaking, revolutionary, innovative... still TODAY. It's shocking! TRON?s universe is by far more complex and well-pictured than SW's.
There is no comparison.

TRON is the greatest movie of all the times, and there aren't actually words to praise LISBERGER.
Not your average User... Programs !!! where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

TriggerEXE
User

Who're you callin' a program PROGRAM?

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 9:35 AM
lol Love that line.

Anyways, umm... yeah. What ProgramBASIC said was all true. Just don't let any SW buffs hear you say that. They are quite protective of their world. Not to speak ill of SW fans out there. I love the SW movies, but I'm not one of these huge huge fans who dresses up and camps out in line to see a movie. The way I see it, both were creative in their own right. As to who was more creative, it's a matter of opinion. As to which was more ahead of it's time, I think we all know the answer to that. At least Lisberger hasn't gone back and "digitally enhanced" Tron, unlike some others I can think of.

"The dark can embrace the light, but never eclipse it."

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 10:07 AM
...I think I'm gonna be sick.

Bring me a puke bucket!

Bluahh...*splash* Blooahhh... *splash splash*

*blows chunks out of nostril* "Fftew! Splat*

I won't even bother to defend Lucas to anyone that's obviously made up their mind. All I will say is I don't understand why there's this need to push anyone else down to build someone else up. Both producers are creative genious' to anyone that can identify creativity. I never understood the popularity wars.

But, if I remember correctly, wasn't it YOU Program Basic that was building Tron up by saying it was still making big bucks? I guess you don't like the idea of pitting Tron against Star Wars under THOSE terms now, do you? I didn't think so. You know who'd be squashed like a grid bug under a recognizer. So be careful how you organize your arguments because they may come back to haunt you.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is in any danger of changing anyone else's mind.

Here's the final facts. I love Tron AND Star Wars. I think they're both masterpieces and made by people I admire. Repeating, there is no right and wrong in any of this. There is no better or best either... it's all opinions. And I respect your opinions. I didn't present my opinion for debate because I'd rather not disagree with anyone else's.

It's all cool.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 10:39 AM

Oh man, I have no clue what to say at the moment.
*Sketch looks over at his boxed starwars figures*
I was bitten by the bug when I was younger. I have noo room to talk.
Still love the movies. I still think making R2D2 able to fly was kinda overdoing it for the poor little feller. I'm not going to arguee about which one is better. Both movies were made by great visionaries. Both use the same good vs evil story line that all stories use. Both had a different effect on the audeince when it was realesed.
I don't know what else to really say...
This thread feels like it's turning sour.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 10:55 AM
Yea, anytime chit chat turns to debate, sour is soon to follow. I'd rather it go back to just chit chat. I don't like pitting my opinion against anyone else's and vice versa.

Yea, I know what you mean about R2 flying. However, maybe think of it this way; if Lucas was going to make 3 new films, would we prefer just seeing more of the same stuff or new stuff we haven't see yet? I prefer new things personally. R2 is a modular unit with tools that can be modified and replaced with other tools. Perhaps he just didn't have those rockets installed long afterwards in preference of some more applicable tool(s) that his techs needed.

But, while I am a big fan of SW, I'd never ever say it was perfect. But that's just the compliment right there. It's good DISPITE what some of us might not like, not because it was perfect. Just like Tron, the things I think are boo boos make me smile, not frown.

It's not only a good way to look at movies, but at life as a whole, I think.

What figures do you have? Any vintage?

I'm having to sell what might be like about 75% of my horde to pay for a Tron game.
...and some folks 'round here think I don't like Tron! *pish!*

Just kidding.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Program BASIC
User

WAIT!

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 11:23 AM
JediUnit,

I was just pointing TRON's cash ($$$) as matter of fact and mere subject of a talk-talk topic like this --- in my book it could have fruited just 30 dollars at the box office: neither I would have cared about it neither it would have change the fact it's a *Visionary masterpiece*. Catch it, rebel Conscript?

The STAR WARS (the original ones) are very well-done and quite interesting, but they are not visionary masterworks, I'm sorry. There is not that enchanted "great deal of fantasy" behind them you always heard of. I mean, they blend up elements from about 456.ooo sci-fi books released before 1977. Trust in me.

You can call "visionary masterworks" the MAD MAX MOVIES, especially THUNDERDOME. They created a new micro-universe, a new philosophy, a VISION. Granted, there were about 456.000 post-apocalyptic books and movies before the MM Trilogy (I'm a MM nuts, and collect every post-apocalyptic movie or book, so I know what I'm talkin' about) but there wasn't NOTHING like the MAD MAX trilogy before the TRILOGY itself. So much fro the history. George Miller, a gianteous genius, pushed it all towards a new frontier.
There was *NOTHING* like TRON before 1982 too... and even AFTER, there was NOTHING like that. Still today.

The SWs are highly enetertaining (PHANTOM MENACE apart, one of the worst movies ever produced, despite the final Jedi confrontation) ... and deserve to be successful. But they are nothing of truly special.

Don't get me wrong.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 12:10 PM
*sigh*

"Catch it, rebel Conscript?"

Yes sir, I do.

"There is not that enchanted "great deal of fantasy" behind them you always heard of."

Whoops! Sorry. My mistake.

"Trust in me."

Okay. I'll pack up my faulty opinions once and for all and make way for your undeniable truths.

"Don't get me wrong."

I dare not. You'll surely let me know if I do.

You're 100% right. I'm 100% wrong. Can we move on now?

*rolls eyes*

--Spock

MowerMan
User

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 12:37 PM
Blade Runner is actually one of my favorite movies. I like it better than the book, but John Brunner can be kind of a boring writer.

I think TRON was ahead of it's time. That doesn't mean it was made before it could have been made, just that is was made before the general understanding and acceptance of the "masses".

Me, I'm just a lawnmower. You can tell me by the way I walk

Program BASIC
User

Hey!

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 12:56 PM
JediUnit,

Forgive me, I was just exposing my opinion based on my movie knowledge and experiences. I won't hurt you, I already consider you a net "friend", truly.
It's not a mystery or a surprise, anyway, that the SW movies predated in such spasmodical way Herbert's DUNE, the fantasy genre in its whole and million of sci-fi books and comics --- remember FLASH GORDON and BUCK ROGERS. I didn't discover anything of new at all. It's matter of public dominion, really

Rebel Conscript... I will blast you in a dead zone order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Trace
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 4:12 PM
Trace lowers the disk she had aimed at ProgramBASIC's head.

Well, that "forgive me" came just in time. ProgramBASIC, you've got to let other people have their own opinions. You made it sound as if JediUnit was wrong in what he thought. There simply is no right or wrong when it comes to viewing Tron as a "masterpiece" or not. Personally, it's my favorite film, but as a writer, I could rip the story structure to shreds. And the character development is weak, too. It's not a perfect film, but I would definitely call it ground-breaking.

Please remember, you may enjoy debating, but not everyone does. Just take it easy on your fellow programs, k?

Previously posted by Mowerman: "I think TRON was ahead of it's time. That doesn't mean it was made before it could have been made, just that is was made before the general understanding and acceptance of the "masses."

Totally agree. That's a great way to put it!

TriggerEXE
User

Hmm...

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 5:03 PM
Yep. It's something I've seen lotsa times. I moderate a message board, so I've seen it get downright nasty. I am actually a big fan like I stated, at least I used to be. I still have a whole bunch of Star Wars figures, vehicles, and playsets. I went and bought the special edition trilogy the day it came out. I even went and saw the SE version in the theaters. More than once. But lately it just seems that the force is gone in this one. It seems that way with lots of SW fans I've talked to. Some have been really in there, big time, dress up, go to conventions, type fans, yet now they feel sorta odd about it all. I still admire the original trilogy a lot. (They should release them on DVD already!! >_<) I have episode I and II on DVD, but some things just mean more than others to me. Tron has been such a big inspiration, and is why I am doing the job I am doing today, and also why I am on the Internet at all these days. So I am a tad partial. However I respect other people's opinions and their right to enjoy one over the other for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with a good ol' fashioned debate, so long as each side is willing to listen to the other.

"The dark can embrace the light, but never eclipse it."

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 5:44 PM
I've noticed that about SW as well. I guess it's because it's so heavely advertised. No telling how much advertising there'll be when the when Episode 3 comes out. I've been a fan of star wars and lately have become kinda numb to the franchise and newer movies. Sometimes movies can go too far with franchising.

The figures I have are not the old 70's ones, just the regular late 90's ones. Got a few still in their package, but got a ton outta the package. Got Xwing, Millinium Falcon, and a few playsets. I had a big idea to do a star wars parody with a friend using the figures. It fell through. It was fun trying to do regular stop motion with a RCA cam corder.
Funny, legos worked the best for stop motion cause the stars wars figures always required putty on their feet to keep them in place. Plus legos made set design easy.

TheJediUnit
User

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 8:36 PM
Thanks Trace.

No problem, Compucore. If you're just havin' fun then we have all we need to in common!

Cool collection stuff, Sketch. It's funny I concider myself a moderated Star Wars fan, but have about 350 packaged figures. My wife must sure love me! I have lots of sci-fi collectable tidbits. My crown-jewel is right around the corner though!

Gawd I can't wait!!!on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlinewhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

--Spock

Sketch
Sector Admin

No Title

on Thursday, January, 23, 2003 8:59 PM
That's alotta figures.
The only thing I think I have to call a collection is my small robot collection. It's nothing much, just toy robots that I really like. I love robot designs.
That would be awsome if I could afford an actual life size B9 Lost in Space Robot or mabey an Terminator endoskeleton. Of chourse I'm only dreaming.

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion 
 A misconception surrounding "TRON"