Other Sectors 
 Anyone got experience with silly imacs? :p

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
KiaPurity
User

on Monday, April, 14, 2003 1:02 PM
I'm so mad that I can't even open anything on it because the majority of the programs on it are locked! How do I unlock the files?

(....I hate imacs... ah well, mom upgraded from a power macintosh 6100 to a wacky imac.... already the imac hates me. The day that she gets it, I sit in front of it and it freezes! )

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Sketch
Sector Admin

Re: Anyone got experience with silly imacs? :p

on Monday, April, 14, 2003 1:22 PM
I had to work with 30 of em.
Careful, they'll bite back if given the chance. They're touchy machines. They liked being looked at mainly.

Locked files...
Trying to remember.
Can't think of anything a at the moment.

Can you access the help file?
Might be able to got to the help file and do a help search. Usually have to dig around in there. You'll find you'll be using help alot on the mac.

Edit: What OS is it running?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Nikster
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 12:24 AM
Hit it with bricks...I find that method to be HIGHLY effective

Seriously...when ever this one does weird stuff to me, I just shut it down and hope everything goes back to some semblance of 'normal' when I start it back up again.

How are the files locked? Are they froze-up broken locked? Or are they asking you to do something (like enter a password) in order to get them to work?abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Nikster
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 12:26 AM
It might be that something is not installed properly or something. I am noticing that iMacs are verrrrrrry touchy...if something is not *just* right they freek, and refuse to function properly.

I think they they get PMS >(where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

KiaPurity
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 1:14 AM
It turns out that it's a program to lock anything. Which is really irritating. The tech guy has no idea why it's even locking it up.

Might as well have to delete the program to free the imac.

TheJediUnit
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 9:39 AM
If a file is locked, it's icon will have a tiny little image of a lock on the bottom corner. If it's locked and you wish to unlock it, select it, hit command "i" (to open the information window) and you'll see the toggle to turn it off.

Macintosh's "touchy" behavior in contrast to Windows machines is it's ability to help in what it interprets as inadvertent harm. Prompts and linking to support files is very helpful until and when properly interpreted and understood why each action takes place. While Windows machines might not have as many safety nets and might seem nicer that way it will happily let you walk right off a virtual cliff and not do any rudimentary things to stop you from making any mistakes. It sure makes using a Mac far easier for new users without screwing up every ten seconds... by a long shot.

It depends on what you prefer.

But you might also want to check and see if your System Folder has it's initial protection activated. But if you're having files becoming relocked after you unlock them, then yes, you need to find the program doing it and get rid of it.

Sark can take care of it for you.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Syntax
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 11:19 AM
Waitaminute. People still use iMacs? I thought those got retired years ago.

IMHO, iMacs aren't useful for anything. Well... unless you're out of kindling and need to make a fire.

----------------------------
Syntax

Syntax
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 11:19 AM
(double-post)on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlinewhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Syntax

Lew
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 12:05 PM
Syntax Wrote:Waitaminute. People still use iMacs? I thought those got retired years ago.

IMHO, iMacs aren't useful for anything. Well... unless you're out of kindling and need to make a fire.

That's got to be one of the least intelligent posts I've read all year

KiaPurity
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 12:11 PM
I doubt imacs would be that good to make fires with.
However, Apple I would as seeing how the case was *wooden* to begin with.

The program is FoolProof Control and somehow it screwed up the imac to the point that it's very anal about touching ANYTHING on it. *thwaps it*

imacs are terrible because they look way too flashy. Computers should be functional, not pretty. >abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

TheJediUnit
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 1:27 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:The program is FoolProof Control and somehow it screwed up the imac to the point that it's very anal about touching ANYTHING on it. *thwaps it*>KiaPurity Wrote:imacs are terrible because they look way too flashy. Computers should be functional, not pretty. >

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

Syntax
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 2:16 PM
Mimizuku no Lew Wrote:
Syntax Wrote:Waitaminute. People still use iMacs? I thought those got retired years ago.

That's got to be one of the least intelligent posts I've read all year
Hey, you've got your opinion, I've got mine. I think that Apples and iMacs blow.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Syntax

KiaPurity
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 2:49 PM
I have more than my share of horrible experience with any apple computers.

Only Apple II series worked great for me.

Syntax
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 3:04 PM
I used to have an Apple IIe, and then I replaced it with an Apple IIgs. Those were cool machines (even if I still hate dot-matrix printers )abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Syntax

TheJediUnit
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 3:06 PM
...so, you gonna try a reinstall?where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

--Spock

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 4:55 PM
Yes, wipeing the sucker clean makes them run better. Clears all the junk cloging the pipes.
They do that every semester to the macs in the DI lab I on campus. Thank goodness too. Some students load those macs up with all kinds of junk. lol

A thing you might want to do Kia is make your own desktop area. On the macs here they have 2 logins. One for student and another for administrator. Might be able to make it to where your mom has her own desktop work area and you have your own. Might want to check that out. I'm not sure how to do it.

JediUnit, do you know what I'm talking about??? Don't know what you call that function.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

TheJediUnit
User

on Tuesday, April, 15, 2003 5:35 PM
Yea, it's called "Multi-user." Unless deactivated it should be a control panel that can be customized per user. It'll ask you who you are on startup and will keep things the way you like it and remember the other's until called for.

We'd use that at work, but it's better to train folks to break bad organizational habits than to use that feature. They used it as a crutch-excuse to still screw their own work up thinking they didn't need to change what they obviously needed to. Unification operational protocol is the name of the game in a working environment like we have. Operating computers at work shared by other employees need to be approached like driving to work; there's no room for personal flair. Just follow the rules and the rules are determined by the best organizational advantage, not "what's cool."

But, in a non-working enviroment, I'd see it's advantages, sure. Around the house is where personal preferences do matter. But it sounds like it wouldn't fix your problem, Kia. Locked files are locked files and "Multi User" was never meant to get around that (it's used for theme and placement preferences), especially if it's not supposed to be doing that, and even more especially if it's relocking stuff it has nothing to do with.

Another thing, any PC system's manufacturer all recommend it's system software to be reinstalled no less than annually even if it seems to be running FINE. It debugs and is the best preventative maintenance there is... to say nothing about when there really IS an obvious problem.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

--Spock

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, April, 16, 2003 3:04 AM
I can't do anything to it mainly because it's not mine. It's the school's property. x_xwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

TheJediUnit
User

on Wednesday, April, 16, 2003 9:22 AM
Augh! Well, then I'd say don't be mad at Macintosh or that computer. It's not their fault. It's your school's staff's inability to maintain basic computer care.

--Spock

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, April, 16, 2003 9:45 AM
Give me a nextstation, sun microsystem workstation, or my good old trusty computer. I'll be a happy camper. I just don't like the macs if they are not well maintained personally.

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors