TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Cleaning the guts...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
TheJediUnit
User

Cleaning the guts...

on Sunday, June, 29, 2003 1:19 PM
My Tron is all full of caked-on grit and dust. I even used a compressed-air can and the stuff didn't even budge. Is there any easier (more lasy) way to get rid of this stuff without messing with the circuit boards? Is there any magical scrubbing-bubbles stuff that is adequate to remove this stuff without leaving any conductive residue?

Do I need to get real and do it the hard way or does this stuff exist on a Radio Shack shelf somewhere?

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

TheJediUnit
User

Re: Cleaning the guts...

on Friday, July, 25, 2003 1:46 PM
Well thanks for all the advise.

*Sarcasm-O-Matic Delux 1000 explodes into a heap of smoldering shards*

Well, I chased down enough advice from here and there and compiled it together into a possible plan. I'm told "contact spray" would do the trick, in conjunction with compressed air and a lot of patience.

I'll letcha know how it works... or you could mention if you've already tried it or if I shouldn't for whatever reason.

"Having is not as pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
--Spock

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2003 12:07 AM
No need to be snide. Obviously none of us have cleaned the insides of our games. I know other than a good vacuming the caked on crapola is still in mine. [grin]

DaveTRON

Smeghead
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2003 11:04 AM
That stuff called Goof-off cleans just about anything and isnt corrosive.

- End of line -

DaveTRON
User

on Sunday, July, 27, 2003 1:19 AM
Goof Off is very dangerous on sensitive surfaces. The guts of an arcade machine are sensitive surfaces. I would recommend something milder and some scrubbing.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

Compucore
User

on Sunday, July, 27, 2003 9:48 PM
Your right Dave. I would agree with you on that. THose PCB are very finniky when it comes to be cleaned. Especially caked on dirt. I would usually go to a specialty store that is about 30 minutes away and look to see what is good for cleaning the interior of the arcade games. Or at least ask behind the counter. Since they deal with making sometimes boards and all that. ANd I'm not talking about radio shack stores either.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

curtishart
User

on Sunday, July, 27, 2003 11:36 PM
One thing to take particular note also when removing the boards to clean. Thoes ribbon cables that connect the sandwiched boards together - they get REAL fragile over time and can crack very easily, rendering the cables useless.

I've read somewhere that SCSI cables with a certain type of connector on either end is an excellent substitute, but haven't tried it myself.

Also, Bob Roberts sells these SCSI cable and ribbon kits on his site.

Lastly, and "No" this isn't BS - I've heard the BEST way to clean PCB boards is in a dishwasher. Yes, I'm not kidding.

In a nutshell (And this is just from what I remember and NOT to be used as actual instructions (There, I've said my disclaimer )):

Remove all socketed chips and set them (making sure you have some way of
knowing how to add the chips back in proper order)
Place the PCBs in the dishwasher
DO NOT add detergent
DO NOT set to heat dry
Run the washer
Once completed, pull the boards and lay somewhere where they can air dry
as quickly as possible
Resocket chips
Reinstall board

I've never done this before to my boards, but many people swear by this. I've
even read one collector who has a dishwasher in his garage hooked to a distilled
water tank JUST for the purpose of cleaning boards.
I wouldn't recommend this proceedure however, until you speak to a person who
has actually done this and might know of some steps I might have missed above.
Good luck!
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Compucore
User

on Sunday, July, 27, 2003 11:49 PM
Good point about that. I haven't done that at all. Its better to ask someone who has done it before like you said. I wonder if there is someone here who may have done this before.

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

curtishart
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 9:08 AM
I've edited my previous post in this thread with links to the google articles, FYI.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

TheJediUnit
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 10:06 AM
Dave, I was not being snide. I was just joking. Don't be so touchy. Believe me, if I meant to be snide, you'd have known it. Ain't that right, Kia? *giggle giggle*

Thanks everyone for all the additional pointers. I'll let you know how it works out. I actually planned on replacing the cables eventually with whatever equivelant I could conjure up. This may take a very, very long time, but I'm not calling this project finished until this thing at least 'appears' mint, inside and out.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

--Spock

DaveTRON
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 5:34 PM
There are varying levels of snide, yours was on the funny side sort of so I was just teasing. Did you miss the grin in my note? Perhaps the lightening up needs to happen with you too?

DaveTRON

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 7:07 PM
TheJediUnit Wroteave, I was not being snide. I was just joking. Don't be so touchy. Believe me, if I meant to be snide, you'd have known it. Ain't that right, Kia? *giggle giggle*

Thanks everyone for all the additional pointers. I'll let you know how it works out. I actually planned on replacing the cables eventually with whatever equivelant I could conjure up. This may take a very, very long time, but I'm not calling this project finished until this thing at least 'appears' mint, inside and out.

:P Hey, I was wondering what happened to you... So, you've been busy cleaning with the arcade machine? That'd be a lot of hard work... and it's important to be careful. ^^;

And remember, guys, it is really hard to detect the true emotion behind the words. Usually, emoticons for that purpose helps to clear things up. ^^order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

DaveTRON
User

on Tuesday, July, 29, 2003 1:28 AM
Ah, if only I could get them to work on my system. [smile]

DaveTRON

TheJediUnit
User

on Tuesday, July, 29, 2003 10:29 AM
DaveTRONDid you miss the grin in my note?

Uh, yes I did. I still am as a matter of fact. I don't see one. I guess your comment to Kia means you are having trouble getting them to appear. Unless you're talking about the "grin", but I associated that with later remarks in your thread, not THE remark. No matter.

Perhaps the lightening up needs to happen with you too?

Perhaps. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it due concideration.

Kia:P Hey, I was wondering what happened to you..

Yea, I've been busy. I'm not really "working" on the Tron so far. I don't wanna ruin anything in haste, dispite not having spare time for squat. Mostly, I'm trying to familiarize myself as much as I can before taking on each individual task. But that's not what I'm busy with. I'm busy with just being busy. I work a lot, but I don't let that get in the way of family time, so I just have little time to waste on myself.

I usually only post here while I'm at work. We've been busy there too so, that's why you haven't seen me.

--Spock

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Cleaning the guts...