Other Sectors 
 Terminator 3:Fall Of A Great Movie Series

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
Trace
User

Re: Terminator 3:Fall Of A Great Movie Series

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 5:37 PM
MutoidMan Wrote:Oh yeah a simple ball-and-socket vertebtae system... I almost fell out of my chair laughing at your explanation, Mr. Terminator engineer. Another one you can't easily explain away.

Hey. No need to get nasty Mutoid. It's called fantasy. We're allowed to imagine anything we want. And guess what...nobody is right or wrong here. When it comes to movies, everyone's allowed their own opinion. Remember, there are many people who thought Tron was trash, and I myself could rip apart Tron's script pretty effectively pointing out all the weaknesses. But I won't because I love it. Give Fusion room to love T3. There's no need to tear him down.

FusionAddict
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 5:40 PM
How trite. T3 is supposed to be a sequel, not a remake. There's a difference between paying tribute to a movie and remaking many of the scenes.
How about the duplicate dialogue in T1 and T2? "Come with me if you want to live" anyone?

It's called masking a poor script with a blur of action, and hoping the audience is too stupid to notice.
It's a SUMMER ACTION MOVIE. What were you expecting?

Uh, why would John Connor ask the Terminator if he remembered the events in T2 if Connor was RIGHT THERE WHEN THE T-800 LOWERED HIMSELF INTO THE MOLTEN STEEL? In T2 John knew that his mother faced the exact same model before he was born. How? Sarah flipped out at the mere sight of the Terminator. If the new Terminator didn't look identical to the previous Terminator, how would she know what he is? That was a big hint I'd say! John knew that the other Terminator was destroyed before he was born. He could see that the other Terminator's remaining parts were exactly the same as his Terminator's parts. He knew that there was more than one Terminator. He even said "Cool, my own Terminator!" like someone might say "Cool, my own PC!" In T3, he could see the current Terminator was identical to his old Terminator, which he knew was identical to his mother's Terminator. How could Connor even begin to think it was the same Terminator? Why would he ask such a stupid question as "What, do you come off some assembly line?" Of course they come off of an assembly line, they're identical machines!
They say it right there in the movie. EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT. He never experienced the terror of being chased down and almost killed by this particular model. Sarah DID. Besides, it was always assumed that infiltrator models WOULDN'T be necessarily identical, because they are meant to blend in. A bunch of twin bodybuilders running around wouldn't be very subtle. Plus, it's never said in the first two movies that John knows what the Terminator unit that went after his mom LOOKED like. Perhaps he really didn't know all in that series looked identical. Or perhaps you're just reading WAY TOO MUCH INTO THIS.

Time paradoxes are a staple of time travel films and it was never something that people questioned, so it was never a problem that needed solving.
Paradoxes are a FUNDAMENTAL flaw in time travel theory. This is why Judgment Day happens. The future can be altered slightly, but not completely changed. It's all an endless loop. "Never something people questioned?" Which box of Cracker Jacks did you get your degree in quantum physics from?

It was great; a very tense and thrilling scene. Your point?
Cameron's use of a handheld camera during this scene makes the entire picture shake violently, completely contrasting with the smoothless transition of the rest of the movie. Not to mention the obvious undercranking in some sequences.

Again, it was great. Your point?
Arnold's drop into the riverbed is such an obvious wire stunt that I LAUGHED when I saw it at the age of 12. As if the entire bike is going to land on two wheels at 70 MPH, bounce once, then land on two wheels again, steady as a rock?

Oh yeah a simple ball-and-socket vertebtae system... I almost fell out of my chair laughing at your explanation, Mr. Terminator engineer. Another one you can't easily explain away.
A) If you can offer a better explanation, I'd like to hear it.
B) I don't like your abusive tone here.
C) Actually, that was quite easy.

Even The Terminator, originator of the Tech Noir genre, darkest of the 3 films, has a few funny moments. T2 had more and they worked well as a part of the emotional roller coaster that is T2. I think T3 didn't have many and those that it had didn't work as well because the writer & director didn't understand what made T2 successful.
Funny, I don't know anyone who laughed all that much more at Terminator 2 ovorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

The Clu abides, man...

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 8:02 PM
FusionAddict Wrote:
How trite. T3 is supposed to be a sequel, not a remake. There's a difference between paying tribute to a movie and remaking many of the scenes.
How about the duplicate dialogue in T1 and T2? "Come with me if you want to live" anyone?

Duplicate dialog is a nod to the previous movie. Entire duplicate scenes (e.g. the bar where he gets his clothes) are remaking. Not the same.

It's called masking a poor script with a blur of action, and hoping the audience is too stupid to notice.
It's a SUMMER ACTION MOVIE. What were you expecting?

Something at least as good as the first two movies, which it is nowhere near.

Uh, why would John Connor ask the Terminator if he remembered the events in T2 if Connor was RIGHT THERE WHEN THE T-800 LOWERED HIMSELF INTO THE MOLTEN STEEL? In T2 John knew that his mother faced the exact same model before he was born. How? Sarah flipped out at the mere sight of the Terminator. If the new Terminator didn't look identical to the previous Terminator, how would she know what he is? That was a big hint I'd say! John knew that the other Terminator was destroyed before he was born. He could see that the other Terminator's remaining parts were exactly the same as his Terminator's parts. He knew that there was more than one Terminator. He even said "Cool, my own Terminator!" like someone might say "Cool, my own PC!" In T3, he could see the current Terminator was identical to his old Terminator, which he knew was identical to his mother's Terminator. How could Connor even begin to think it was the same Terminator? Why would he ask such a stupid question as "What, do you come off some assembly line?" Of course they come off of an assembly line, they're identical machines!
They say it right there in the movie. EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT. He never experienced the terror of being chased down and almost killed by this particular model. Sarah DID. Besides, it was always assumed that infiltrator models WOULDN'T be necessarily identical, because they are meant to blend in. A bunch of twin bodybuilders running around wouldn't be very subtle. Plus, it's never said in the first two movies that John knows what the Terminator unit that went after his mom LOOKED like. Perhaps he really didn't know all in that series looked identical. Or perhaps you're just reading WAY TOO MUCH INTO THIS.

Reading way to much into it? Look, the three T-800 infiltrator models that have been featured ARE identical, so how do you make the assumption that they aren't all identical? And it's obvious that Sarah Connor recognizes Arnold as a Terminator. John sees his mother's reaction to the Terminator. He realizes that she recognizes him as a Terminator. Therefore, both Terminators looked the same. John calms Sarah down and assures her that they are safe. What's so hard about that?

And emotional attachment? You buy that? John Connor asks the Terminator about stuff that happened in T2 - when he KNOWS it isn't the same cyborg - because of emotional attachment? Right. John Connor was killed by the third Terminator due to emotional attachment? Come on! Connor reprogramed the second Terminator and sent him to protect his younger self! Why would he get all mushy over an infiltrator unit? He knows what they are! How did it get through to him when he knows what they look like? It makes no sense at all. Like the leader of the human resistance, the man who smashed Skynet, is going to make a mistake like that? Ridiculous.

Time paradoxes are a staple of time travel films and it was never something that people questioned, so it was never a problem that needed solving.
Paradoxes are a FUNDAMENTAL flaw in time travel theory. This is why Judgment Day happens. The future can be altered slightly, but not completely changed. It's all an endless loop. "Never something people questioned?" Which bon line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 8:08 PM
Trace Wrote:
MutoidMan Wrote:Oh yeah a simple ball-and-socket vertebtae system... I almost fell out of my chair laughing at your explanation, Mr. Terminator engineer. Another one you can't easily explain away.

Hey. No need to get nasty Mutoid. It's called fantasy. We're allowed to imagine anything we want. And guess what...nobody is right or wrong here. When it comes to movies, everyone's allowed their own opinion. Remember, there are many people who thought Tron was trash, and I myself could rip apart Tron's script pretty effectively pointing out all the weaknesses. But I won't because I love it. Give Fusion room to love T3. There's no need to tear him down.

Hey, I didn't do anything but respond to his picking apart of my post in a way I didn't like. He has the right to do that, but I have the right to not like it.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

KiaPurity
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 8:20 PM
Yes, but granted, you two are very tense about this movie.

*grabs a fan and tries to ward off the incoming flames :P*where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

MutoidMan
User

on Wednesday, July, 16, 2003 8:38 PM
KiaPurity Wrote:Yes, but granted, you two are very tense about this movie.

*grabs a fan and tries to ward off the incoming flames :P*

It's very simple Kia; I really like the first two Terminator films. The third film disappointed me very much. I'm not going to extend my suspension of disbelief to the point where I'll think anything is good just because I want it to be. For example, I like Star Trek movies, but Nemesis was criminally bad. I like all of the other movies in that series. Granted, some of them are borderline bad movies but none of them can touch Nemesis's badness. In the same vein, just because it's a Terminator film that doesn't mean it's any good, and that goes for any movie franchise. If they make a TRON 2.0 movie and I think it's bad, I'll say so.

Trace
User

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 11:37 AM
Granted, Mutoid. But that doesn't change the fact that you're not particularly right or wrong. Obviously, the film didn't live up to your expectations, but that doesn't mean it didn't live up to others' expectations.

You and Fusion both have the right to your opinions on the movie, but I'm sorry. Name calling and personal insults (this goes for both of you) just isn't welcome here.

Especially over something as ridiculous as a movie. But hey, if you guys enjoy duking it out, duke it out.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 2:35 PM
I was amused that the thread had become a lighthearted string of pirate-speak posts and was more than happy to leave it that way, having already vented my feelings about T3.

He obviously felt that my opinion is so wrong that it wasn't enough to express his opinion, but he has an obligation to show me how wrong I am.

If he had simply said "I thought T3 was great, here's why..." and listed his reasons for liking it as I listed my reasons for disliking it, maybe we could've gotten into a good dialogue about it. However, he didn't so we won't.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Trace
User

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 2:55 PM
Arrrrr...what ye be sayin'? Why I'd like ta keel haul the lot o' ye!

Notices grid bugs still running from MutoidMan.

Errr...on second thought, I'll jest be runnin' along there, matey. Got ta...er...swab the decks! Arrrr! I love to swab the decks!

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 4:31 PM
Avast there, mateys!

Swab the deck! Raise the mizzenmast! Ready the cannons! Sharpen yer broadswords 'till ye kin split a hair! We set sail ta find plunder an' booty! An' pity the scurvy grid bug that gits in our way!

Arrrgh! Arrrgh!

()

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 7:25 PM
*Stumbles into the room holding a class of rum*

Oh! What do ya do with a drunken sailer, what do ya do with a drunken sailer, what do ya do with a drunken sailer Earlie in da mornin?

Hmmm. Well. I'm still going to watch T3. The main reason for me... the T-800 endoskeleton robot. I LOVE it's design. That reason alone is enough to make me watch it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

MutoidMan
User

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 9:03 PM
Oh yeah the T-800 design is pure Cameron genius!

Hale-XF11
User

on Thursday, July, 17, 2003 9:30 PM
omigosh, I just saw a new commercial for T3 and one of Ah-nulds lines goes like this (i think he's speaking to a clerk):

"talk to the hand"

*slaps forehead*
...please tell me he didn't just say that.

-------------------------------------+megalith music+-------------------------------------

PyoChan
User

on Friday, July, 18, 2003 1:13 PM
Hale-XF11 Wrotemigosh, I just saw a new commercial for T3 and one of Ah-nulds lines goes like this (i think he's speaking to a clerk):

"talk to the hand"

*slaps forehead*
...please tell me he didn't just say that.

Unfortunately, my friend, he did. It makes a bit more sense if you actually see the movie (no spoilers for those who haven't yet seen it), because you'll know where he picks up the line. And it's funnier where and how he acquires that line, but I thought that it worked only that one time.

"As long as we stay off the top floor, Dillinger will never know we've been in here."

IMAGinES
User

My Thoughts on the Film

on Monday, July, 21, 2003 6:28 AM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/imagines/articles/mvt3rotm.htmlorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Fortune Favour You,

IMAGinES

FusionAddict
User

on Monday, July, 21, 2003 10:50 AM
Q, me Vitamin 'C' deficient bad people...Q!

The Clu abides, man...

Trace
User

on Monday, July, 21, 2003 11:34 AM
Yeah, the "talk to the hand" line fell a bit flat for me.

Scuzzy
User

on Tuesday, July, 22, 2003 11:28 AM
Sketch Wrote:*Stumbles into the room holding a class of rum*

Oh! What do ya do with a drunken sailer, what do ya do with a drunken sailer, what do ya do with a drunken sailer Earlie in da mornin?

Oh...no...

*has flashbacks when he was in the Navy*

Eep!!!

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

Syntax
User

on Sunday, August, 17, 2003 3:09 AM
Weeee... a T3 thread! I might as well start off by saying that I liked T3 a lot - after seeing T3 twice on opening day and then going home and watching T2, I'm seriously not sure which one I liked more. As an aside, I'm a hardcore Terminator nut - people on other messageboards have quickly found out that if it's Terminator-related, I can respond to it. How many other people in the world do you know of that own every Terminator comic ever printed (from all 5 companies which have held the license, dating back to 1986)? order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

----------------------------
Syntax

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, August, 17, 2003 3:57 AM

Hey, Syntax! Good to hear from you again.

OMG . . . I can't believe I missed this T3 thread. I'm a big Terminator fan, as well as fan (of course).

MutoidMan makes some good points. But unlike him, I can forgive some of the boneheaded mistakes and dialogue in T3. This is a film that could have been absolutely great, but is dragged down to become an inferior film to the first two, unfortunately.

If it had been a little longer, had more backstory, and the writers had done their homework a little better (or stopped messing with established facts), it would have been equal or even superior. HOWEVER . . . it is still a good film, in its own way. Certainly one hell of an action spectacle, to be sure. I consider it to be a decent sequel.

As for Mutie's (hope you don't mind the contraction ) beefs with the films, here's what I think.

Most of the movie was more a poor rip-off of T2 than a true sequel.
That could be argued, but it has some scenes and story ideas that I feel makes it very original. The whole fatalistic notion that John can't escape his future, and the ending of the film (not a happy one), is something I can appreciate as being new and fresh.

There was too much senseless, frantic action and not enough story and exposition.
Of course, it's all eye-candy. But while you call it senseless, I call it a wild action ride. I agree there should have been more story, though. Particularly backstory, like I said earlier.

The writer and director seem to have forgotten much of what happened in The Terminator and Terminator 2; in other words the continuity is shot.
I disagree. Again, there is a lack of backstory. Just how can Skynet still be around? It isn't explained. But if you can get past some of these things, they stayed pretty faithful to what came before.

The T-X came off as inferior to the T-1000.
That's what I thought at first, too. But if you look at the T-X from a different perspective . . . it wasn't meant to be revolutionary. It was designed to get the job done. The T-1000 is an expensive Terminator to produce (time, energy, complexity). While the end product is great, it costs too much to make. And it's still vulnerable to attack, in fact a little too vulnerable. The end of T2 showed the T-1000's weakness. So Skynet has gone back to a more practical design. That's the way I see it. Fancier doesn't necessarily mean better.

What was with that crappy camerawork?
Why the obviously poor wire-work when the T-X jumped on the hearse?
Don't make me point out the many flaws in T2. Every film has its mistakes, or poorly executed work.

How the heck did the T-800 reattach its head? That was such a stupid, impossible gimic.
Okay, I agree with you there. I hated that scene, too.

Why only a couple of lighthearted moments?
You kidding? I though it had *too many* lighthearted moments. Speaking of which . . .

Where were Arnold's cool one-liners???
There were one-liners, all right. Too many. But you're right, they weren't cool. But once again, I'm willing to forgive. A couple of them were good, but the rest made me cringe.

I'll watch The Terminator and T2 (and TRON) on DVD over and over, but I won't purchase T3 because it killed the franchise.
The box office take doesn't agree with your conclusion. T3 didn't do so well in North America (though half-decent), but Internationally it's blowing away the competition. T4 is almost a certainty, and for a lot of people T3 didn't "kill" the franchise. They loved it.

Uh, why would John Connor ask the Terminator if he remembered the events in T2 if Connor was RIGHT THERE WHEN THE T-800 LOWERED HIMSELF INTO THE MOLTEN STEEL?
I didn't like this part, either. I came up with my own theory, to justify and excuse the scene, though. It might be reaching a bit, but it works for me.

And a simple rocket launcher couldn't have

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

FirstPrevious Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Terminator 3:Fall Of A Great Movie Series