Tron 2.0 netcode?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
M0b1u5
User

Tron 2.0 netcode?

on Thursday, July, 24, 2003 8:07 PM
OK, so I'm a netcode freak - sue me!

Can someone explain the netcode architecture here please? Is it pure Client Server mode? i.e. the server decides all issues, and what appears on your screen means (essentially) dick?

I ask, because I'm pretty upset that many servers have a maximum allowable ping time of 170ms!! WTF is up with that? Hell, from New zealand, I can't ping ANY USA servers at less than 200ms, and I am *QUITE* used to playing other lag-affected games at 250ms+.

Having a max-ping-time enabled is, err, well, LAME!

Is there any code-path option to play it Peer to Peer, such that the client decides when you die? I.e. if I see a gap, and make the gap on my screen, I make it - rather than missing the gap coz some LPB dirtbag made it 120ms earlier!

I think understanding the netcode is IMPERATIVE for successful online combat. It's ALWAYS been the golden rule, that those who know the rules generally win the game! Doesn't matter what sport, or game is involved either! It could be Quake 3 or The Americas Cup, you still need to know the rules.

So, someone step up to the plate here!

Oh, I'm probably going to create a website for Tron2.0 and it'll be called TRON20HELP, and I'll be needing a free host for this site. I have another HELP web site for Descent 3, called, funnily enough, D3Help at http://planetdescent.com/d3help which has had about a million page views now...

Does Tron-Sector host sites like this? I'd be wanting to be hosted by a reputable domain? I notice there's no "Planet Tron" by gamespy yet - anyone know if there *will* be one?where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

----------------------------------------------
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

Scuzzy
User

Re: Tron 2.0 netcode?

on Thursday, July, 24, 2003 8:45 PM
Maybe you should IM DaveTRON?

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

M0b1u5
User

on Thursday, July, 24, 2003 9:20 PM
Do you live here Scuzzy?

Yeah, I saw DaveTRON's posts elsewhere, and was impressed such a high-falootin' personage was hanging out here. However, this is the sort of question that needs answering by the coders, rather than a marketing person - who always sends you straight to www.tron20.net where there are no answers to this one... HEH!

See you on the game grid!on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Smeghead
User

on Thursday, July, 24, 2003 9:45 PM
Sounds like the kind of guy that runs around in Diablo with infinite energy and god weapons because hes hacked thje code.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

- End of line -

Scuzzy
User

on Thursday, July, 24, 2003 10:40 PM
M0b1u5 Wroteo you live here Scuzzy?

Yes, yes I do live here.

DaveTRON
User

on Thursday, July, 24, 2003 11:08 PM
I am NOT a Marketing person, I am the head of QA and Testing. The problem here is there are things I cannot say at this time. Your question will be answered soon though.

DaveTRON

M0b1u5
User

on Friday, July, 25, 2003 1:13 AM
Cool, DaveTRON. Sorry about the marketing barb.

Geez, I've only made two topics here and been accused of being a cheater in both. :P

I am not now, and never have been a hacker of ANYTHING. I am seriously AGAINST cheating in games. I think my efforts to help Descent 3 newbies speaks for itself.

Do not misinterpret my request for details regarding the netcode ( lag-engine? :P), because it's not my intention to flout the rules, but to UNDERSTAND them.

A good understanding of the Netcode of an online, real-time game, like TRON 2.0 is essential to be successful. Especially if lagged!order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2003 12:03 AM
I mean that only from the perspective of not being able to market to anyone the way our Marketing team does. I like Marketing people, so I was NOT insulted. [grin]

DaveTRON

Scuzzy
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2003 12:47 AM
Yeah, the Marketing people are Beautiful. At least they were where I worked. where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

M0b1u5
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2003 5:10 AM
Well, I had a bit of a play in Disc Tournament, at around 300ms -- no closer servers as yet! DOH! It seems to me that "lag engine" is a better description for Tron2.0 than "netcode". NOOOOOOOOO!

It seems to me like the netcode is "Permissible Client Server", but I most sincerely hope I'm wrong, because the PCS model absolutely stinks for anyone over 150ms!

At 300ms, there's a HUGE delay between when I click FIRE, and when the disc appears. That indicates PCS to me! On top of this, the disc doesn't even appear on my screen until it's travelled quite some distance, further reinforcing the PCS guess: 1 x ping time after hitting the fire key, the shot appears, but it appears much closer than it should, because it only got fired 1/2 a ping time ago. *sigh*

Man, I really hope there's a pure Client/Server option for online play, because PCS just cripples HPBs something shocking. It's the worst possible choice (IMO) for an online game. The only advantages I can think of for a PCS model is that it makes cheating harder - but let's face it: no netcode will stop cheats!

I really really don't want to believe the netcoders of Tron2.0 went the laziest route possible: i.e. handing the game to the LPBs and shouting a loud "screw you" to dial-uppers and broadband connects 30,000 klicks from a server.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Inode
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2003 10:48 AM
M0b1u5 Wrote:It seems to me that "lag engine" is a better description for Tron2.0 than "netcode".

Chances are you are wrong about Tron 2.0's network code. Try connecting to a server that has fairly good system specs, as I had one evening about two weeks ago, and watch your 300 millisecond ping behave as if it were 50. In my case my average ping to one server was 250 milliseconds (at 56K) but because it was hosted on a dual T1 and was on a 2.4 gig system with loads of RAM, it felt like I was playing locally. It was ultra-responsive. More responsive than anything I've experienced before.

--
Inode 2.0
Future Control Industries
Toronto, Canada

M0b1u5
User

on Monday, July, 28, 2003 12:34 AM
I truly hope you are right!

I'm getting my ISP to host a couple of Tron2.0 Servers when the game comes out here in New Zealand.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0 
 Tron 2.0 netcode?