Other Sectors 
 I MISS DOS!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
Qix77
User

I MISS DOS!

on Thursday, November, 13, 2003 5:21 AM

Wow.. This is a strange subject... "DOS.. being Missed?"...

Well... In some cases, I do... but I'd eat my words when real users explain the over-all "easy-ness" of directX.

It's true... Direct X has came such a long way (and so has OpenGL) but I still miss the DOS days.

It's just that I keep thinking: ---- "If it wasn't for this damn GUI take'n up all this memory and CPU usage. I could get so much more performance out of this game if I could have used old DOS." (which is not possible).

I just miss it... I don't think games could have advance as well as it did with DX or OGL. But I still miss it.

LONG LIVE THE MEMORY OF THE AMIGA COMPUTER!!!!!

AND THE COMMODORE 64!!!!!

AND THOSE OLD PUNCH-CARD MACHINES THAT WILL COME BACK AND RULE THE WORLD SO THAT WE WILL EITHER BOW DOWN TO R2-D2 OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!

kmon
User

Re: I MISS DOS!

on Thursday, November, 13, 2003 9:39 AM
Linux has a terminal, your can relive all your command line glory days with a free down load

Yes DOS was nice, and quick to get things done. But the footpring in win 9x really donsent matter..all that much.. on the faster mechines of today. On a mid or lower setup those memory requirements add up fast Besides gui's are more accesible for the average user, I mean ask a person off the street to do some basic navigation in a shell or a terminal and they would be completly lost, however take the same person and give them a mouse with pretty things to click on, they will figure it out much quicker and be more inclined to be slowly sucked to the dark side that is geekdom

The past 5 years have seen the popularization of the gui. It has evolved from a very ruidmentary nastly buggy headache, to an insecure kindof buggy nessisary evil. Things are getting better, it will be interesting to see what happens with it in the next 10 years or so.

^^ Full tower gamer ^^

KiaPurity
User

on Thursday, November, 13, 2003 10:00 AM
I hate the fact that I can't use DOS programs anymore in XP Pro.

Only way to get it to pop up is "run cmd" -_-

*chases after Bill Gates with the inverted orange traffic cone*

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Qix77
User

on Friday, November, 14, 2003 1:43 AM
KiaPurity Wrote:I hate the fact that I can't use DOS programs anymore in XP Pro.

Only way to get it to pop up is "run cmd" -_-

*chases after Bill Gates with the inverted orange traffic cone*

I agree with both Kmon, and you Kia.

GUI's are very very nice, but I still miss the old DOS days.

Before I went PC, I switched from the C64 to the Amiga. I was very pissed off in the manner that I couldn't command the computer to load a game (by input), but I just had to insert a 3.5 floppy. The reason why this sucked so bad is that I couldn't just turn on the damn thing and start programming or load one prog. before loading an app without using workbench (and I never had a HD for it).

But I love the old Amiga and had many great memories with it.

When I went PC (1991), DOS was great, but I really hated the fact that once you bought a PC you had to buy sound cards, etc.. if you wanted to get fair sound. So I went back to Amiga since it was an All-in-one machine.

But when PCs grew up a bit, I knew this was the way to go (because Commodore-Amiga went out of business and I had no other choice... and Apple wasn't do good either).

Sorry about the life story... I'm a very sad drunk... I'm an Irish program with a disk......... .......

Scary... isn't it???????????????????????????????

Compucore
User

on Friday, November, 14, 2003 12:16 PM
I miss it too as well with good old dos. I remember programming in GWBASIC when it was out for the Clone computers. on Comterm computers. (They were like the most crappy machines ever.) And the good old apple computers. with the single sided drives they have. Man the I still yearn for Dos as well. I remember using a program that you could multi-task a dos machines called Desqview from Quaterdeck I believe. One of the greatest programs to help you multi-task a machine in dos. And it was before windows 3.1 came out on the clone IBM and other computers on the IBM side.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 2:40 AM
Someone posted above that they missed playing older DOS games on Window. Miss them no more! I decided to do a little searching on the net and I found this:

DOS Box

It's a great, free, emulator for many platforms that allows you to run those old games again. I am personally excited that I can run Stunt Island again!! Woohoo!order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

KiaPurity
User

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 3:07 AM
WOO HOO!

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Qix77
User

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 3:32 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:Someone posted above that they missed playing older DOS games on Window. Miss them no more! I decided to do a little searching on the net and I found this:

DOS Box

It's a great, free, emulator for many platforms that allows you to run those old games again. I am personally excited that I can run Stunt Island again!! Woohoo!

May the good lord Jesus (or in this case, USER), bless you and become rich and have lots of moments that make you jump for joy, and drink goodly beer, and have endless kinky elbow sex, and rob banks without getting caught, and have yum yum times, and become King of England, and have 10 kinds of wild party'n.. and get your freak on... and thank Qix77 for being so awsome, and rule the world with a disk in one hand and a rod (Light Cycle thingy) in the other..

In other words.....

Thanks, Dave...

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Auric
Sector Creator

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 12:16 PM
You can also use Connectix (now Microsofts) Virtual PC

It allows you yo run ANYTHING from DOS on up. I have Virtual PCs for Dos 6.22, Windows 3.11, 95, etc.

I have a special Dos PC for just gaming (gotta love jamming on F-19 Stealth Fighter!)

where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

RCON
User

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 3:00 PM
Stunt Island was very cool, making you're own flying stunt movies. My favorite all time DOS game was ultima underworld. I could play that for days! (BTW DaveTRON is biased, didn't disney make stunt island

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 7:20 PM
I believe if you will check the Credits of Stunt Island you will see I was the Lead Tester on the game. It was my first big project after Disney Animation Studio for DOS.

Oh my god I am old! where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON

Auric
Sector Creator

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 8:15 PM
RCON Wrote:Stunt Island was very cool, making you're own flying stunt movies. My favorite all time DOS game was ultima underworld. I could play that for days! (BTW DaveTRON is biased, didn't disney make stunt island

Ultima Underworld! Now there was a game. I ran (and technically still do run) moongates.com, dedicated to all the classic Ultimas. I just haven't updated the poor site in ages.

Dave "Auric" Hernly
Sector Administrator

Compucore
User

on Saturday, November, 15, 2003 8:44 PM
Or what you can do is to have an older machine that isn't being used and download a free DOS that you can get from over here. Or other Operating systems that are free from this site here. http://www.freeos.com/download.php?PHPSESSID=f1764299499220c7374b589edd3db0ed

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Qix77
User

on Sunday, November, 16, 2003 3:03 AM
I do, however, need some extra help. Some (not all) old dos games that I'm playing is unplayable. The processing clock (or whatever) is off. The games run way too fast and needs slowing down.

I run across this a lot. Does anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks, friends.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Compucore
User

on Sunday, November, 16, 2003 2:32 PM
There was a program I remember seeing or haring about where it literally eats up the clock speed or at least uses every other clock cycle in the game that makes it more playable for some of the old dos games. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of it though. Take a look at download.com and do a search there. It should come up with something. I know for sure that it slows down the clock speed of the computer or at least make the game more playable on a faster machine.

Does anyone remember the old Dos Decatholon game or the other one that comes to mind was on the old 5.25 floppy disks called montezuma's revenge. That was a great game to play The other one that comes to mind but the name escapes me for the moment was something a maze game of some sorts that you have to jump around and pick up gold bars or something like that. and if you wanted to stop the enemy. You had to pour like acid to make a whole in the ground. and they would fall into it.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

kmon
User

on Sunday, November, 16, 2003 3:23 PM
Well i run all my dos titles from the xp's shell (not really dos more like a simlulation) This site has really helped me out: dos games

with some troubleshooting found here:
help for dos games

From that section they have a fix:

"If the game runs too fast, here's what to do:

Find the game's executable file (the file you run, usually {somename}.exe) using Windows Explorer. Right click on the file, and choose "Properties".
Click the "Program" tab. Click the "Advanced" button.
Check the "Comaptible Timer Emulation" box. Click "OK", then "Apply", then "OK" again. See if that fixes the games speed. If that doesn't fix the problem:

A utility called "Moslo" can help solve this problem. Read the FAQ on Moslo here: DOSGAMES.com FAQ #3: Moslo."

I really suggest reading more of the page, great information, but the above fixed the time emulation problem that I had. Good luck to you.

---Another thought, if you're REALLY bored and want a real copy of dos you can simple partition a section for it on your hard drive and have a dual boot system.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

^^ Full tower gamer ^^

Qix77
User

on Sunday, November, 16, 2003 9:57 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll give it a shot..

Qix77
User

on Sunday, October, 23, 2005 3:43 AM

This is a really really old thread that I just wanted to revive. Plus... DosBox is still around...

If you guys still play DOS games, I'll see if I can find some really good appz that will help more of the old games be compatible with XP...

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Nikster
User

on Sunday, October, 23, 2005 4:43 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:Someone posted above that they missed playing older DOS games on Window. Miss them no more! I decided to do a little searching on the net and I found this:

DOS Box

It's a great, free, emulator for many platforms that allows you to run those old games again. I am personally excited that I can run Stunt Island again!! Woohoo!

That program is AWESOME...I've used it to play the old Bard's Tale games that came with the new Bard's Tale game as well as some older DOS games I dug out of storage.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Nikster
User

on Sunday, October, 23, 2005 4:47 AM
Qix77 Wrote:I do, however, need some extra help. Some (not all) old dos games that I'm playing is unplayable. The processing clock (or whatever) is off. The games run way too fast and needs slowing down.

I run across this a lot. Does anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks, friends.

Sounds like you need SlowMo....

http://www.svatopluk.com/daggerfall/download/slowmo.stm

"The flippity on the google loads the Flynn to the disc battles the guy bad. Day wins. Said nuff!" - DaveTRON

Jack Thompson is to attorneys what Fred Phelps is to organized religion - Me

Page: of 3 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 I MISS DOS!