Other Sectors 
 Techie Question

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Tron Fanatic
User

Techie Question

on Tuesday, November, 25, 2003 11:09 AM
Ok I know I've done this before without a hitch but I can't seem to remember how to do it now.

I just redid my system - switching from Win2k to WinME (because 2k won't support my $1000 piece of video capture hardware and there's NO way I'm buying an updated one).

The problem is I had 3 drives on that computer, drive C handled the windows system and the other two contain all my games, music, videos, etc. So I install ME on drive C, leaving the other two alone, but now Windoes can't see the other two drives. Bios sees them and so does Device Manager (but no drive letters have been assigned and I can't seem to assign them manually), but I can't access them. My first guess was some kind of incompatibility with partitioning in 2K, but even non-file managing programs like scandisk can't see it either. How do I get windows to see them?where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

'>

MutoidMan
User

Re: Techie Question

on Tuesday, November, 25, 2003 11:17 AM
Are all three drives FAT32 or is only the C drive FAT32 and the other two drives are NTFS? Win9x/Me cannot read NTFS.

"We are, after all, not God." - Cmdr. J. J. Adams
"C is for cookie. That's good enough for me." - Cookie Monster
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man." - Huey Lewis & the News

Most recent PC game collection update: 04/12/2012. Check it out!

kmon
User

on Tuesday, November, 25, 2003 3:49 PM
Honestly I would avoid Windows ME like the plague. Pick up a copy of XP Professional and save yourself HOURS upon HOURS of frustration. My first guess would be what MutoidMan pointed out. The system drive is in either FAT32 or FAT16 which was most likely converted from NTFS (from your win 2k box) during the ME install. It left the other two drives untouched (so still in NTFS). And again as MutoidMan said Win ME cannont read NTFS. I dont know of a way to nondestructivley (without deleting data) convert a drive between fileformat . If this isint a concern simple reformat your other two drives to FAT32. If possible I would pick up a copy of XP pro, reformat your system drive with NTFS, then install XP. You should be able to see the two drives. Good luck to you.

^^ Full tower gamer ^^

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, November, 25, 2003 8:48 PM
Not that I know of either of reading it backwards from ntfs to fat 32 or fat16. THe only alternative that I can suggest is to use Fdisk. Which deals in managing the partitions on the hard drive. And knock out the NTFS. and repartition those tow others in the respective sizes. The fdisk program will only see the ntfs as a non fat partition in option 4 I believe in the the program. Once deleted you an easily recreate them. and then do a regular format on them afterwards either through the dos prompt or through the windows manager within windows to get them back up and running.

I know it may sound really complicated for a newbie to do it this way. But sometime you may have no choice in the matter. Email me the at my hotmail or yahoo account and I'll give you a detail listing on how to do it. I have an old windows 95 machine and I know where to look for things to help you get through it.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Tron Fanatic
User

on Wednesday, November, 26, 2003 12:26 PM
I reinstalled Win2k. I'd have no problem with reformatting all the disks but I don't have a huge device to backup all my work too, so I was trying to keep them on the secondary drives and just reinstall windows on the primary. This has worked numerous times in the past and I had never a problem with it before.

I'll have to find someplace I can offload the data to and then transfer it back after I've switched OS's. Thanks for the help though. I had no idea that 2k partitioned the disks differently that no earlier version could read. I would've been pulling my hair out for quite a while, and there doesn't seem to be anything documented anywhere that discusses this problem. Guess the rest of the world just has enough money to backup their stuff the normal way and has never encountered this. *shrugs* lolabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

'>

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, November, 26, 2003 1:00 PM
Well with Windows NT, Windows 2000 pro(And the server lines), And windows XP both home and professional. They are based on the windows nt kernel and the formatting done with windows nt and about that are based on the nt kernel worked in that way because the NTFS has a security feature in it that windows 95 all the way to windows ME doesn't have based on the fat 32 way of reading the file allocation table on it. That is the only difference between the two. Just so know the difference if you didn't know ahead of time.

I nearly forgot to add this into it as well. You don't always need a large storage device to keep your back up on. Todays cdr/cdrw burners are just as fine as having like what here on my system over here. A 12/24 gig seagate SCSI 2 tape back up. Fine with the cd burners you'll go through some more cd's than with a tape. But they do the same job. Its just another format really. And its also preference as well. Not everyone can afford a tape back up either so. I'm lucky to have gotten one for some work that I did for a company down in the states. and they gave me that in exchange for the work I did for them.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 Techie Question