What do you do outside of TRON-SECTOR?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 10:47 AM
What do you do in the real world?

I'm new to the sector and I was wondering what my fellow TRON fans do outside the digital world?

I'm the imaging production manager at a small company in upstate New York. We basically take printed documentation and turn it in to customized referencing systems distributed via the net for our customers. It's mostly construction and maintenance equipment parts referencing and service information.

The job is demanding and I have work about a zillion hours a week but so does everyone on the management team. It's a great crew though - we all get along really well and it's not uncommon for an all out rubber band war to break out from time to time.

In my off-work time, I like to experiment with visual FX and work on creative video projects. Some of my creative work can be seen on my site www.TheReelTodd.com. There is a hint of TRON present in some of my work.

There is a new video project I've been trying to get off the ground... actually, it's not so new, I've been trying to get it off the ground for almost a year now, but this project is really the reason I ended up at TRON-SECTOR... but more about that later.

So if you don't mind me asking - what do you do for a living? Other than TRON related things (which is the obvious) what do you do in your free time?
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Darksaber7
User

Re: What do you do outside of TRON-SECTOR?

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 12:23 PM
I am a sheet metal worker ( the guys who make and install duct work for heating and air conditioning). Not the most exciting line of work, by far, but it's where I ended up. Due to this wonderful economy, and lack of new construction, I've been off for about a year, and will just be starting back monday. That's why I've been able to be so active on these boards of late...

My off work time consists of messing around on my PC and the net. Recently, I've been messing around with Dedit and was making progress, but I won't have the time to commit to it for a while. My boss, um, I mean wife won't let me spend my little free time playing on my PC while she takes care of the kids.

Yeah. Pretty much I'm a boreing guy in the real world...

Don't you wish your corruption was hot like me?

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 6:10 PM
Hey Darksaber7 - sorry to hear you've been off of work for a wile. Glad you're starting back soon The economy is slowly starting to pick up.

You know, I've been fortunate enough that the company I work for is not dependent on a good economy to thrive. Since we're in the business of saving companies with large fleets of vehicles millions of dollars in service costs, poor economic conditions really makes no difference. In fact, over the past year, the company has grown and we've picked up some great new workers who were recently laid-off from other companies. The work we do can be mind-numbingly boring, but we keep each other going with a lot of jokes and pranks.

BTW - my wife frowns on me spending too much time on the computer too, but she knows that my camera and computer are the paint and canvas this artist LOVES to work with.

Compucore
User

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 8:02 PM
Me I was a self taught computer technician. Dealing with computer installations, repairs, updating of anything and everything you can think of what goes on iside of the computer you know. While hanging around through some places that were looking for an extra hand of getting computer ready. And of course learning like a mad man of what operating systems and regular software that are being used for the typical end users. So you can imagine going from a Dos command line all the way up to todays windows XP and all of the tings that goe on in the latest os.

Now I've gone back to school and gone through a 1 year intensive course into computer programming. Of Visual C++, VB 6.0, Oracle 8i/9i, Cobol. Where I am doing right now for my apprenticeship at the company. I'm using Delphi which is basically an updated version of Turbo Pascal or Pascal on the Vax VMS. I've already learnt some other older programming languages like Pascal, turbo Pascal, Turbo C++, Dbase III+. So I'm right now doing my apprenticewship as a programmer at a company and I'm eventually going to be working in their tech support.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

kmon
User

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 8:26 PM
I'm a geek

Actually I'm a student caught between, physics, medicine, or computer science..atleast I've narrow it down I grew up around computers and have a genuie passion for electronics. I actually have a large collection of hobbies. I like fast and loud things so; old cars (my daily driver is an opel gt), bikes, rockets, jet engines (working on a homemade one now), a few other misc things grab most of my free time away from school. I also love the outdoors so skiing, rock climbing, etc I have a good time with. I like to have projects to work on. By that I mean something homemade the subscribes to the loud and fast philosopy. I've built home made rockets, even made a rocket go kart. As I said above the current challenege is a homemade jet engine out of an old turbo charger. The turbo charger(s) should get here next week, then I just need to my fuel pump, oil pump, and injector. I'll keep everyone posted if interested....I'm pretty excited about it. Think i should have it built over x-mas break (I hope).

TheReelTodd: Good job with the videos! I love video work and do editing work on the side...helps buy parts for my projects

^^ Full tower gamer ^^

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 9:10 PM
I am the head of QA/Testing/Archives for Buena Vista Games. TRON 2.0 is the dream project of my career to date.

I am also a collector of TRON memorabilia. I have a pretty big collection of items, both physical and digital. If I can ever be of assistance, let me know.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

Trace
User

on Saturday, November, 29, 2003 10:54 PM
Well, for work, I'm an adminstrative assistant. But my off-time is spent on creative writing, acting, directing (hey, it's what my Masters degree is in, dagnabbit!). I live in Central Washington, i.e. God's Country, by a river between the mountains and the desert. Good for creative inspiration!

However, enough of Miss Nice Program...

TheReelTodd Wrote:There is a new video project I've been trying to get off the ground... actually, it's not so new, I've been trying to get it off the ground for almost a year now, but this project is really the reason I ended up at TRON-SECTOR... but more about that later.

Oh. I don't think so.

Trace throws her disk at Todd's head. It whizzes by, buzzing his ear.

Now. You can finish that little teaser of a comment, or the next time I throw my disk, it'll do more than give you a close shave. Got that, program?

foilism
User

on Sunday, November, 30, 2003 7:56 AM
I'm a full time student, I study history, music, product design and maths [ack, algebra]. And a part time tron-sector leech. I live in sunny east England and its cold right now.

In my spare time I do a lot of animation and 3d modelling, I'm currently pursuing cartoon/animation careers and courses. And I'm looking forward to Christmas!!

Speeder
User

on Sunday, November, 30, 2003 10:30 AM
I go to the same school as Foil. I study Math, Physics, Chemistry and Music.

Outside of school I play the Violin and Bassoon.

When i'm older I want to become a pilot!!!order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Rincewind thought about this and then, with an air of finality, started to take off his last sock.
"No half-bricks," he said to no-one in particular. "Have to use sand?"
"You're going to attack them with a sockful of sand?"
"No, I'm going to run away from them. The sockful of sand is for when they follow.

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Sunday, November, 30, 2003 2:31 PM
Trace throws her disk at Todd's head. It whizzes by, buzzing his ear.

Now. You can finish that little teaser of a comment, or the next time I throw my disk, it'll do more than give you a close shave. Got that, program?

Wow - nice shot, Trace...

But it will take more than an empty threat to make me talk!

takes a moment to read some of Traces other posts

Ooooh... I see...

Well...

Yeah, the project...

Didn't mean for that to be a teaser or anything. I tend to ramble on sometimes and I can easily get off track.

I'm enjoying learning about what the other programs do outside TRON-SECTOR here. I'll post about the project in a new thread specifically devoted to...

Well, I just can't say right now Seriously - I'll post more detail on that soon.

stands on guard in preparation for Trace's speeding disc

Compucore - sounds like you've got a lot going on right now! I never made it past BASIC (the old, 80's original BASIC) myself... well, that and some general VB manipulation and macro scripting.

kmon - "I'm a geek " - yeah, aren't we all Glad you dig my videos I actually do professional work on the side too. I've done it on and off since the early 90's. Good way to earn some extra $$

DaveTRON - So you actually got to work on a TRON project - the BIG 2.0 game that the net is buzzing about. I haven't played it yet, but I've read a LOT of excellent reviews on it. Is that game only going to be available for the PC or will it be ported to any console systems in the future? BTW - sounds like you've got a VERY cool job!

foilism - So you do 3D modeling? Ever experimented with any TRON animation - true to the original look and feel of TRON? I'd love to see it if you have! TRON made me want to get in to 3D animation, but I never did - the tools were not easily accessible when I was in school

Speeder - Science and music - excellent. And a future pilot? Good luck with it!

Trace
User

on Monday, December, 01, 2003 4:06 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:I'm enjoying learning about what the other programs do outside TRON-SECTOR here. I'll post about the project in a new thread specifically devoted to...

Well, I just can't say right now Seriously - I'll post more detail on that soon.

stands on guard in preparation for Trace's speeding disc

Oh, stand down. *puts away her disk* It wasn't an empty threat, as you found out...but programs are much more fun to play with if they're not derezzed. Besides, you're movies are fun and I want to see more of them.
abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, December, 01, 2003 7:55 PM
stands down, wipes forehead

Trace Wrote:
Besides, you're movies are fun and I want to see more of them.

Thanks for your kind words

Unfortunately of the handful of projects I tried to put out this year, only one made it through to completion (Just Turn Around) It's not easy being a shoestring budget producer AND having to work full time (and then some).

But I worked on some cool visual FX demos for upcoming projects... and started another SWTM video... which I kind of put on hold while continued experimenting on other visual FX for another (hopefully) upcoming project.

KiaPurity
User

on Monday, December, 01, 2003 7:58 PM
I'm a college student (fourth year, actually.)

I'm an artist as well and I have my own webcomic about Commodore 64. :B (I've done a full Tronified comic strip once! )

I also like to design websites, so my own website is a work in progress. The layouts change every year. ^^;

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

Trace
User

on Monday, December, 01, 2003 10:46 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:But I worked on some cool visual FX demos for upcoming projects...

Whoa! That's a jaw-dropper!

KiaPurity
User

on Tuesday, December, 02, 2003 12:17 AM
This may seem odd. I have quicktime 6.4 but yet I can't view some of your movies which require quicktime 5 or higher.

Might be my computer. *kicks it* Still, those videos were awesome!

DaveTRON
User

on Tuesday, December, 02, 2003 12:23 AM
I didn't want to say anything, but some of the videos asked to install some add-on called On2 on my system and I said no and didn't watch.

I didn't want to seem critical, but I too have Quicktime 6.0 and frankly I am not crazy about pages that say they are compatible and then ask to install more.

What's the scoop? Your older videos work great, but the newest stuff asks to install add-ins.

DaveTRON

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 02, 2003 4:07 AM
DaveTRON Wrote:
I didn't want to say anything, but some of the videos asked to install some add-on called On2 on my system and I said no and didn't watch.

You know, I'm afraid a lot of people do the same (choose not to install On2 codec).

My newer videos have been encoded in a very efficient video compression called On2 - unfortunately it is not standard with QuickTime – you have to play a video that uses it and be prompted to download it. It's much better than the coveted Sorenson or MPEG4 compression in my opinion. That's all it is though - just another QuickTime codec.

Trace Wrote:
Whoa! That's a jaw-dropper!

He he he - mission accomplished, I'd say - thanks!

KiaPurity - I briefly checked out some of your stuff the other day - pretty cool and very creative! I still have my C64! I think it still works, though it's been in storage for years now.

KiaPurity
User

on Tuesday, December, 02, 2003 2:58 PM
Ehehe. Thanks! order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

foilism
User

on Wednesday, December, 03, 2003 3:10 AM
TheReelTodd Wrote:
foilism - So you do 3D modeling? Ever experimented with any TRON animation - true to the original look and feel of TRON? I'd love to see it if you have! TRON made me want to get in to 3D animation, but I never did - the tools were not easily accessible when I was in school

I made a reco once, my first model actually, pretty basic stuff. But I've been working on a tron 2d animation project for about 3 months now, its in the completion stages.

Great to see you take interest in everyone todd.
abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, December, 03, 2003 7:47 PM
foilism Wrote:
I made a reco once, my first model actually, pretty basic stuff. But I've been working on a tron 2d animation project for about 3 months now, its in the completion stages.

Great to see you take interest in everyone todd.

Was the recognizer a still or animation? I've seen various renderings of TRON vehicles, but no animation sequences. Stills or animations - do you have yours posted anywhere on the net?

Looking forward to your 2D TRON animation!

And yeah - there are some interesting people around here - digging it.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors