A plea for help...

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
wwwmwww
User

A plea for help...

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 12:35 PM
Hello programs...

Allow me to be 100% serious for a moment and introduce myself. My name is Carl Hoff and up until September 9th of this year I was employed by Texas Instruments as a process engineer. I have a Ph.D. in physics which I guess was a bit of over kill for the job but I got the Ph.D. mostly to prove to myself that I could do it. It turns out its seems to be the kiss of death in the industry I ended up in. Cost cutting is killing this industry here in the states and much of the semiconductor manufacturing equipment is headed over seas. I saw it all first hand.

Now to the point of this email. I had an interview with another semiconductor manufacturer in Dallas about 4 weeks ago. It was for a processing engineering job over the same type and model of equipment I had been over at TI. Well just yesterday I got the letter telling me they weren't going to offer me the job and I'm now running out of contacts to call and leads to follow. If it were just myself that would be one thing but I come from the old school and I believe a mans job is to take care of his family and I have a wife and two boys. One 8 and one 5 who I might add both love the Armage Tron game. Anyways... things look very bleak for the prospects of finding a job in the semiconductor industry and odds are if I did find one it would be short lived as there is no way they can compete with the cost of labor over seas. I'd like to open up my search and I'm willing to talk to anyone that's willing to talk to me. Can any of you help? Do you know anyone that's hiring? I'm a very quick learner and I enjoy new challenges. I taught myself POV-Ray in about 3 weeks for example and I think most of you here have seen my Light Cycle and Tank.

If any of you think you can help or would like to see my resume PLEASE email me at hoff@wt.net. I'm currently in the Houston TX area but I'm willing to relocate to just about anywhere.

Thanks for your time...
Carl

DaveTRON
User

Re: A plea for help...

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 1:57 PM
If you want to send me a resume I can put it into the Disney System and see if anyone salutes. Can't guarantee anything, but I will be happy to try.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

DaveTRON

kmon
User

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 3:41 PM
What pay range are you looking for? I've got a few contacts in various parts of the country. If you are willing to take a paycut you can teach, there are lots of universities that are desperite for physics teachers. Also have you considered a job with the goverment, the labs are always looking for physists (especailly Ph.D.'s). Good luck with the job search.

As with Davetron I cant promise anything, but email me and I'll see what i can do.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

^^ Full tower gamer ^^

Compucore
User

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 4:50 PM
I'll take a look over here as well for you I know of a couple of places in texas that are situated there. I do not know if they are close by you though. I'll let you know through email when I ge to my terminal at home this evening after the company party that I'm going to..

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

wwwmwww
User

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 5:20 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:If you want to send me a resume I can put it into the Disney System and see if anyone salutes. Can't guarantee anything, but I will be happy to try.

I just emailed you my resume. Thanks for the offer to try and help.

Kind regards,
Carl

wwwmwww
User

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 5:28 PM
kmon Wrote:What pay range are you looking for? .

Well I'd like to be able to support my family in what ever area I end up in. In some areas the cost of living is quite a bit higher then others so that is certainly a factor but I'm certainly willing to take a paycut.

kmon Wrote:
I've got a few contacts in various parts of the country.

I'm all ears.

kmon Wrote:
If you are willing to take a paycut you can teach, there are lots of universities that are desperite for physics teachers. Also have you considered a job with the goverment, the labs are always looking for physists (especailly Ph.D.'s). Good luck with the job search.

As with Davetron I cant promise anything, but email me and I'll see what i can do.

Thanks so much for the offer to help. You said email you so I'm about to send you my resume. Yes, I'd love to work for the government but so far most of the jobs I've inquired about want people with 5 to 10 years of experience that I don't have. And yes, I'm also looking into teaching at the high school or university level but that's proving to be slow going too.

Thanks,
Carl

wwwmwww
User

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 7:17 PM
I hope you had a nice time at the party. Please don't worry about the place having to be close to me. I'm certainly willing to move. The only thing that brought me to Texas in the first place was this job at Texas Instruments. Outside of my wife and boys my nearest family is about 800 miles away and if I have to move my boys are at an age where I don't think it would be too hard on them.

Thanks for the offer to help...
Carl

Compucore Wrote:I'll take a look over here as well for you I know of a couple of places in texas that are situated there. I do not know if they are close by you though. I'll let you know through email when I ge to my terminal at home this evening after the company party that I'm going to..

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, December, 09, 2003 7:53 PM
Hey Carl - really sorry to hear about your situation.

I might also be able to hook you up at the company I work for too. You sound waaaaay overqualified, but that's not a bad thing where I work. It may not get you paid too much more, but we don't frown on education.

If you'd be interested in an entry-level position working for a stable and growing small company, doing some mind-numbing boring work, AND move to the western New York area, where it's cold and snowy this time a year, let me know. As boring as the work is, we all keep each other entertained though. I is a good place to work.

Unfortunately, you'd be starting at an entry-level pay - about $10.00/hour. BUT after two months of employment, you'd be offered a FULL medical coverage plan covered by the company.

Honestly, I'd hope for better for you than this. But I'd be more than happy to give you information as to who to e-mail your resume to if you'd like (it would be my boss). I'm the Imaging Production Manager and can put in a good word for you too

It would be cool to have another real TRON fan around the office

I wish you luck with your job search.

BTW - VERY cool TRON imagery you posted previously - great job! Have you worked on any animations, true to the original look of TRON? I'd be very interested in seeing them if you have!

wwwmwww
User

on Wednesday, December, 10, 2003 2:18 PM
TheReelTodd Wrote:Hey Carl - really sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes... me too.

TheReelTodd Wrote:I might also be able to hook you up at the company I work for too. You sound waaaaay overqualified, but that's not a bad thing where I work. It may not get you paid too much more, but we don't frown on education.

I'm certainly willing to talk.

TheReelTodd Wrote:If you'd be interested in an entry-level position working for a stable and growing small company, doing some mind-numbing boring work, AND move to the western New York area, where it's cold and snowy this time a year, let me know. As boring as the work is, we all keep each other entertained though.

Well I moved to Texas from Lansing Michigan so I'm use to the cold. I bet my oldest would love to see snow again. Off the top of my head I'm not sure my youngest boy has ever seen snow. And I have some relatives up in New York... something I don't have here in Texas.

TheReelTodd Wrote:I is a good place to work.

That is certainly a big plus. Just what does this company do may I ask?

TheReelTodd Wrote:Unfortunately, you'd be starting at an entry-level pay - about $10.00/hour. BUT after two months of employment, you'd be offered a FULL medical coverage plan covered by the company.

Ouch... That's about the starting pay for an operator without a High School education at TI and I believe the clost of living is higher up there then it is here. Still I'd strongly consider it if you guys are doing anything I'd find interesting and there were possibilities to move up. If I jump out of the semiconductor industry I was prepared to more or less start over.

TheReelTodd Wrote:Honestly, I'd hope for better for you than this. But I'd be more than happy to give you information as to who to e-mail your resume to if you'd like (it would be my boss). I'm the Imaging Production Manager and can put in a good word for you too

I'm hoping for better too but right now I'm just looking for anyone that will let me get my foot in the door. If there is any room for upward mobility I don't think it should take me long to build myself back up to a level I'd be happy with.

TheReelTodd Wrote:It would be cool to have another real TRON fan around the office

I wish you luck with your job search.

BTW - VERY cool TRON imagery you posted previously - great job! Have you worked on any animations, true to the original look of TRON? I'd be very interested in seeing them if you have!

Thanks... for the offer to help and the compliment on the images. I haven't made any animations yet as I'm still tweeking the models themselves and there are several still images I want to make yet but I hope to get to the point of making some short animations. My guess it that it could easily take me a month just to animate a few seconds so it will be a little while yet.

Thanks again,
Carl
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Sectors 
 A plea for help...