General Discussion 
 Midnight Show at Nuart Theatre, Santa Monica, CA

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, January, 10, 2004 6:14 AM
So I just got home, it's 3:00 AM, from a showing of TRON at the NuArt Theatre in Santa Monica CA. Richard Taylor and my friend Jeff Hartmann joined me for the Midnight showing of the film.

When we arrived at the theatre it was mobbed. We waited in line for tickets for about 10 to 15 minutes and then went around the side of the building to stand in a line of well over 300 people. The MC of the event said that this was the 11th largest crowd ever for one of their Midnight shows.

We got inside and settled into some seats that are not meant to hold people as large as me. I am in pain as you read, and will be for days.

We watched some trailers for upcoming films at the Nuart, I may need to go back for Switchblade Sisters, and then the movie started.

The bad was that it was a poor quality 35mm print. The black backgrounds were maroon. Richard was not pleased with the quality. It's really too bad that it couldn't have been a better print, but then again,I bet it's hard to get ahold of a decent print these days.

Having last seen the movie on a theatre screen in 1982, it was still a thrill for me to see it on a big screen again. This is still my favorite movie of all time, and even more so after tonight. The flaws did not detract from the experieince for me.

The audience found a great deal of humor in the film in places I have not ever considered humorous. It was fun to hear them react in ways that I am certain the Production team did not intend.

Lines like 'They haven't built a circuit that can hold you' elicited loud giggles, but it was all in fun, and I didn't sense it was mockery. I think it was truly bourne of guilty pleasure at seeing a favorite film on that big screen again.

If anyone else from TRON Sector was there tonight, please post and let us know your impressions of the event.

If anyone from the Nuart is reading this, please get in touch with me and maybe we can work on a better print for a future showing of the film. Thanks for showing it though, you made my year, and we are only 9 days in!

DaveTRON

tronprogram
Sector Admin

Re: Midnight Show at Nuart Theatre, Santa Monica, CA

on Saturday, January, 10, 2004 8:03 AM
Dave, I wish someone in the UK would show TRON in the cinema once in a blue moon. I think it's been shown twice in 2 years in a cinema in the UK. But glad to hear it went ok,(shame about the print quality).

Get me into the US please, somebody!!!!!! I miss out on all this stuff. I wanna be where the action is abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"Like the man said, there's no problems, only solutions"-Kevin Flynn, prior to his entry into the electronic world- 1982

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion