Tron 2.0: Design Characters and Levels 
 WHY!

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
necron_demon
User

WHY!

on Saturday, January, 31, 2004 3:43 PM
why did the editor for tron2.0 include the modle, texture, and bumpmap for A BANANA!?!?!?!

Somebody set up us the bomb!

harpo989
User

Re: WHY!

on Saturday, January, 31, 2004 4:06 PM
*rezzes in*

because fresh fruit is good for you.

------------
Harpo989: The original fConer. (Now with (0rr[up73d fruit flavoring!)

Riley Pizt
User

on Saturday, January, 31, 2004 6:44 PM
necron_demon Wrote:why did the editor for tron2.0 include the modle, texture, and bumpmap for A BANANA!?!?!?!
It is obviously the banana from the game "No One Lives Forever 2", but where exactly do you see that banana?

Scuzzy
User

on Saturday, January, 31, 2004 7:02 PM
And why not an orange???

Come on, you scuzzy data, be in there.

yojimbo
User

on Tuesday, February, 03, 2004 12:28 AM
Is there a banana in one of the "real world" cut scenes?
What about the popcorn?!?!

**mental note** serve "Allen's Popcorn" & "Digitized/Undigitized Oranges" at next TRON viewing party.... *** order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

shorty99
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 1:02 PM
Banana?

harpo989
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 3:10 PM
well, I finally figured out where the oranges were, but no idea about the banana...order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

------------

Darksaber7
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 8:51 PM
I don't think the banana is in the game. It was just included in the textures with the tools. Prob. a left over from NOLF.

Don't you wish your corruption was hot like me?

shorty99
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 9:33 PM
I hate leftovers!

flynn1978
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 9:35 PM
Doya think it's expired?

...could be why so many programs are corrupted in 2.0....

hmmm....

"Happy is the man of reason who can face the world in season."

flynn1978
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 9:36 PM
Hey that rec wasn't because of the bad banana, I just farted...

"Happy is the man of reason who can face the world in season."

shorty99
User

on Friday, March, 05, 2004 9:43 PM
Hahah!

yojimbo
User

on Saturday, March, 06, 2004 12:54 AM
I was playing Tron 2.0 today, and noticed that in the storage room where Allen is locked-up w/ the Tron arcade game, there is a box of oranges (a cardboard box labled with a pic of oranges).

harpo989
User

on Saturday, March, 06, 2004 1:03 AM
heh, heh! noticed that too.

farts! ha ha! usually good for a laugh.

------------

Traahn
User

on Sunday, August, 22, 2004 3:05 PM
Everyone probably knows the answer now, but I wanted to make sure to put this mystery to rest once and for all.

The banana does, indeed, come from another Monolith game called No One Lives Forever (NOLF). My understanding is that TRON 2.0 uses a greatly enhanced version of the older engine that was used for NOLF and/or NOLF2. So its no surprise that there are some leftovers in the editing tool.

In fact, a gesture that one of the IC Regular type guards used in a Tron 2.0 cinematic sequence was pretty much the exact same gesture some of the cronies (for lack of better word) used in NOLF. There were other instances where I noticed similar (or the same) animations being used, and this kind've bummed me out a little.

I wish I hadn't played NOLF2 before, because I kept being reminded of that game (a game that I wasn't impressed by) while playing Tron 2.0. The dialogue used in cinematic sequences in Tron 2.0 was sometimes reminiscent of NOLF2 at times, as well. A little too campy for me.

In the Textures tab of DEdit, navigate to the "INTERACE > MENU > SPRTEX" folder. There's a file in there called "HENCHMEN" which is a picture of three of NOLF
s henchmen. Another file is actually titled, "NOLF" and this is a 'No One Lives Forever' title screen. There are several other files from NOLF like buttons, arrows, etc. I could've swore there were also NOLF-related things when setting the properties for the AI in DEdit (attitude, patrol, etc.), but can't seem to find them now.

Oh well, the above should be enough NOLF proof regarding the banana. A banana peel was used in NOLF to make enemies slip.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Riley Pizt
User

on Sunday, August, 22, 2004 3:59 PM
Traahn Wrote:In fact, a gesture that one of the IC Regular type guards used in a Tron 2.0 cinematic sequence was pretty much the exact same gesture some of the cronies (for lack of better word) used in NOLF. There were other instances where I noticed similar (or the same) animations being used, and this kind've bummed me out a little.
The Datawraiths and the NOLF 2 ninjas share many of the same animations. I don't see that as a bad thing though as I like NOLF 2 a lot.

The dialogue used in cinematic sequences in Tron 2.0 was sometimes reminiscent of NOLF2 at times, as well. A little too campy for me.
I love the humor although it is relatively toned way down in Tron 2.0. Some of my favorite lines in NOLF 2 are where the two HARM guys discuss the merits of the artificial lava on the evil lair and where others repeatedly talk about the employment practices of criminal organizations. Truely funny stuff.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, August, 22, 2004 7:03 PM

The DataWraiths pretty much ARE the NOLF 2 Ninjas, yes indeed. Same AI behaviours, same animations. Just different character and weapon models.

There are numerous other similarties as well. Some of the wry humor from NOLF made it into . But it's a far cry from being truly silly or hysterical. In fact, I think Monolith could've gone a bit further with the humor. I wouldn't have minded. But I guess others do.

Yep, there's definitely a lot of junk left over in the .REZ files pertaining to NOLF 2. I don't know if all game developers are this sloppy, but I'd guess it's more likely that Monolith rushed to finish the game and didn't have time to clean things up better.

BTW, if you think NOLF 2 isn't so good (I thought it was, but not as good as the original NOLF), then stay away from Contract Jack. I don't know what the hell the guys at Monolith were smoking when they made it. It had its moments, but for the most part it was a mind-numbing shooter fest.

Sigh, bring back the NOLF of old, Monolith . . . stop trying to be a copycat developer. You had something special going up to the release . Then you went astray.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Riley Pizt
User

on Sunday, August, 22, 2004 8:01 PM
redrain85 Wrote:
The DataWraiths pretty much ARE the NOLF 2 Ninjas, yes indeed. Same AI behaviours, same animations. Just different character and weapon models.
Except no cartwheels. Maybe I should change that.

Traahn
User

on Friday, November, 19, 2004 2:44 AM
Ahh, I didn't realize there were even more similarities between NOLF2 and Tron 2.0. I didn't notice that the DataWraith animations were the same. Oh well, I'm sure it cut down on production costs and allowed them to focus their energies elsewhere, like BEAUTIFUL environments and the such.

It's not that big of deal to me that they borrowed some stuff from NOLF2. I'll live

As for the humor, I do appreciate some of it. But I appreciate Tron most when it's serious, deep and philosophical for some reason

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0: Design Characters and Levels 
 WHY!