Other Games 
 System Shock 2 Tutorial = Tron-Like

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Traahn
User

on Saturday, August, 14, 2004 7:11 PM
I remember playing System Shock 2 a few years ago (before Tron 2.0 was announced and when I was still grasping for anything Tron-related that I could find) and the Training levels seemed very Tron-like to me. There was an electric blue grid pattern to the walls, and other luminescent colors. Seeing that at the time really made my day. I seem to remember Quake 2 having a Tron-like area, too. Ahhh, I'm glad those days are over where I'd get to see a glimpse here and there of the Tron world. Now I can just plug Tron 2.0 in and play an entire game in the Tron universe!!! where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Fretnoize
User

Re: System Shock 2 Tutorial = Tron-Like

on Sunday, August, 15, 2004 2:42 AM
The training levels were pretty cool as far as being tron like. How far into the game did you make it?where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Traahn
User

on Sunday, August, 15, 2004 2:22 PM
I've never beaten the game...

I've tried installing it a few different times over the years with the intentions of beating it, but I guess I get a little bored with it for some reason. I just installed it again a month or two ago... but I have no clue how much game is left.

I'll load it up here in a sec and see where I'm at.

EDIT: Okay, it's not that I get bored with it... I think I mainly just get frustrated with it because it can be quite a difficult game! I'm in the Engineering A area, going down a hallway through a series of doors. I pretty much got stuck here because I didn't have enough (or the right) supplies to keep me alive. Turrets at the end of the tunnel keep killing me. However, after just trying it a few times again, I think I can make it through now. I think this is approximately the area where I threw in the towel and had given up a few years ago, too.

How far have you gotten? Am I at the end of the game, or is there still a lot left?

in the past years' attempts, I didn't really think too much about which character stat upgrades I wanted to get. But that's really not a good way to play it. You really have to know what you want your character to be capable of doing and really make wise decisions. Otherwise, you may have no hope in beating the game. I'm doing the best (stat and equipment wise) than I've ever done before. if I could just knock out the camera and turret at the end of this dang Engineering hallway, I might be set!!

EDIT: Okay, just got past that turret/camera, and now I just saw a brief cutscene where I was flown (almost dreamlike) around in an organic tunnel. Creepy voices were talking to me, I think they were trying to convince me to "join them." I remember seeing this cutscene a couple years ago, so I've been this far before. Don't think I've been much further though. Now I'm in Engineering B.

EDIT: Now I'm in a Cargo area. For sure, this general area is where I got before. I hated the Cargo area and gave up. I may have to do that again ;o)

Fretnoize
User

on Tuesday, August, 17, 2004 5:10 PM
Nah, don't give up... keep at it. Wow, It's been a long time since I played the game, but I think I remember the cargo area being one of the more difficult places. You still have a bit of a ways to go though, I think. I played through it a bunch of times, but I worked on it, so thats to be expected... What kind of character are you playing?

IsoLine
User

on Tuesday, August, 17, 2004 7:20 PM
Fretnoize Wrote:Nah, don't give up... keep at it. Wow, It's been a long time since I played the game, but I think I remember the cargo area being one of the more difficult places. You still have a bit of a ways to go though, I think. I played through it a bunch of times, but I worked on it, so thats to be expected... What kind of character are you playing?

Cargo area....definately. That and some of the levels on the sister ship...I can't remember the name but the smaller vessel attached to the Von Braun are pretty hellacious. Great game btw probably the best non-Unreal shooter for its time. I think I liked SysShock2 more than Half Life and all its iterations combined. What type of character did you play as Traahn? I was the typical Marine grunt, but as I got further I started to up my PSI skills.

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

Traahn
User

on Sunday, August, 22, 2004 6:26 PM
I'm playing as a Marine guy. I want to have good handgun/shotgun weapon capabilities (and repair) abilities since these weapons are found more often.

I've tried Psi in the past, but I was too slow with it and it seems like you get drained of your energy quickly or something. It was more trouble than it was worth for me.

It's pretty tough, though, since there aren't a lot of places to "upgrade" your skillset at. I'm still trying to acquire some basic skillsets so I can somewhat function in the world. For example, I'm only Level 1 or 2 on most things -- Hacking, Weapons, Repair, etc. I haven't really had the chance yet to build up the Marine-like stats very much yet. But now I know (unlike when I've played in the past) not to waste my time getting any Psi if I'm going Marine.

I haven't played the game in a couple weeks because I kinda lost interest again because of that cumbersome cargo area. Cargo B, I think it is.

Tekki
User

on Monday, September, 05, 2005 12:55 AM
**accessing Tron-Sector I/O grid**

My User has played System Shock 2 over and over and over again (but never multiplayer, nobody around). If ya need any help w/the game, lemme know.

As a side tip, he offers this URL for a mod that upgrades the polycount of the human-type Many & the cyber-nannies: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

Enjoy!

Traahn
User

on Monday, September, 05, 2005 1:36 AM
Hey Tekki - Thanks for the info. Welcome to Tron-Sector, by the way How did you find this old thread?? LOL.

You know, I think I stopped playing System Shock 2 shortly after that last post. Not sure why, but I just lose interest in it. It's a shame because I'm sure it's just a minor hurdle I need to get past before the game opens up into more curious sights and sounds.

I believe Looking Glass Studios made that game. I just re-installed Thief 2: The Metal Age (a game by LGS) yesterday. I love that game! I just played the first level again and I'm still amazed by the experience. I was about to start the 2nd level, but thought I'd drop by the Sector here first.

Did you ever play Thief 2? It's not a First Person Shooter, per se. They instead like to call it a "First Person Sneaker" because it is all about patience, sneaking around in the shadows and stealing loot. It has a huge cult following with fans having made several great fan-made missions over the years.

Tekki
User

on Monday, September, 05, 2005 2:42 AM
Traahn Wrote:How did you find this old thread?? LOL.

LOL, just trolling through like my User directs!

I believe Looking Glass Studios made that game.

Indeed they did, LGS was a shining star that burned out too fast. The Thief series was a great addition to the "FP*" genre, and its influence can be seen in many games today.

Did you ever play Thief 2?

nope, haven't done that one, but I played Thief. Only part of that one I didn't like was the undead...kinda detracted from the game a bit, else was very very cool!

If anyone feels froggy sometime, we should start a SS2 multiplayer thread and do some co-op w/Teamspeak...game should be a lot better, especially if somebody acts as a 'guide'.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Monday, September, 05, 2005 9:38 PM

System Shock 2 is one of the best games I've ever played. Other than Tron 2.0, that is.

In fact, Tron 2.0 reminds me of SS2 and Deus Ex. (The first one, not the crappy Deus Ex: Invisible War sequel.) And supposedly Tron 2.0 is also supposed to have similarties to Marathon, which I heard was a great series of games for the Mac.

But the scary thing is that, supposedly Halo is a successor to Marathon. And Halo and Tron have to be about the farthest apart that two games can be!

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, September, 06, 2005 11:20 PM
If you liked Thief, you should try Thief 2. I think there is less undead in Thief 2. If you get T2, be sure to patch it to v1.18 before playing. Thief 3 didn't do the Thief series a whole lot of justice, imo.

Tekki
User

on Friday, September, 09, 2005 12:45 AM
Traahn Wrote:Thief 3 didn't do the Thief series a whole lot of justice, imo.
I've head that from a lot of players, I think that LGS had gone under by that time, leaving the publisher to find another dev group to crank out the last game in their license agreement. Hence, Thief 3 kinda tanked. I could be wrong.

My roommate's actually got Thief 2 it turns out, so I'll install it when I get home and check it out. Too bad it's not a Linux edition, but oh well.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Friday, September, 09, 2005 11:39 AM

Thief 3 wasn't done by Looking Glass Studios. Like you said Tekki, they had gone out of business by that time. So the game was done by different people at Eidos.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Friday, September, 09, 2005 7:07 PM
Ion Storm did Thief 3, under direction (or whatever) by Eidos. I think they had a couple people from the early Thief days on-board, but someone sure screwed the game up! LOL

Having to do a simultaneous launch for the XBOX is what screwed them up the most, I think. They basically made the same game to be used for the XBOX and PC. Therefore, levels had to be smaller, load zones needed to be used, the user interface and graphics had to be more conducive to consoles and televesion sets, etc., etc. The list really does go on. It was a decent game, but there were just some major changes that were for the worse rather than for the better.

Glad to hear you already had access to Thief 2! If it's a standard version, update to v1.18 before playing. If it's the 'Platinum' edition, then v1.0a is the version you'll see in the readme file, and that's already at the latest version (don't install patch).

Cutscenes are known to be problematic on XP. You should see cutscenes before the start of most every level. As well, you should see the AVI "Mission Complete" movie upon the completion of each level. And you should see opening cinematics. If you ever don't see these, then you need to get the codecs squared away, or modify a CFG file of some sort. See this thread for details: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031
On that page, I read this:
Can I run Thief on Linux?
Apparently, using the latest version of winex, you can. This thread reports that it works: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70456.

EDIT: And don't forget to (a) turn the lights off when you play, (b) bump the gamma down so the shadows are dark, and (c) use headphones where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

Fretnoize
User

on Tuesday, April, 18, 2006 8:49 AM
Tekki Wrote:
Did you ever play Thief 2?

nope, haven't done that one, but I played Thief. Only part of that one I didn't like was the undead...kinda detracted from the game a bit, else was very very cool!

Actually the zombies were one of my favorite parts of that game! I got my start in the industry at Looking Glass as a tester on Thief. We had played the game more times and anyone ever should, so naturally all got really good at it, and dispatching the guards was just way too easy. The zombies seemed to have better listening, actually I think it was the stone walkways and such, but they were a little more challenging, but more than that, I used to love to get like 8 or 9 of them following me, get them clustered together and let a holy water arrow fly. Zombie bits everywhere.

Sorry for reviving an old thread... i blame insomnia

Traahn
User

on Saturday, April, 29, 2006 1:43 PM
Very lucky, Fretnoize, to be able to be a tester on the original Thief! That's awesome. Did you follow the Thief series at all? Wondering if you liked Thief 2 and 3? I really liked Thief 2; but Thief 3 didn't do a lot for me. It was alright, but the replayability aspect of it is really poor, imo.

EDIT: LOL, I just re-read your earlier post, Fretnoize, and realized you actually "worked' (worked!) *on* SS2! Sweet! What'd you do on it? Playtesting, or something more involved?

You still have a bit of a ways to go though, I think. I played through it a bunch of times, but I worked on it, so thats to be expected...

Fretnoize
User

on Saturday, May, 27, 2006 3:38 PM
EDIT: LOL, I just re-read your earlier post, Fretnoize, and realized you actually "worked' (worked!) *on* SS2! Sweet! What'd you do on it? Playtesting, or something more involved?

Mostly testing, but I got a chance to do some design/sound tasks too. After that I fully transitioned to design.

Traahn
User

on Monday, May, 29, 2006 9:52 PM
Right on! That's really cool. Ever heard of a mod being worked on called 'The Dark Mod'? It's an attempt to pay hommage to Thief 1 and 2, because many fans of Thief 1 & 2 were let down by Thief 3. The Dark Mod aims to provide a toolset for fans to make their own Thief 1/2 style missions using the Doom 3 engine. Thus, it takes the graphics to a new level; hopefully retains similar gameplay; and hopefully keeps the community active with creating new fan missions for a long time to come.

Obviously Doom 3 isn't anything like Thief. So the AI is being completely re-programmed/enhanced; the art/textures are being re-done; as are many things. Thief 1/2 set the bar very high. They hope to make a similar gameplay experience. Take a look at the screenshots gallery: http://www.thedarkmod.com
abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Fretnoize
User

on Tuesday, May, 30, 2006 7:50 AM
Hey that looks pretty cool... I didn't look too close, but it doesn't look like they're having zombies... yeah I know no one else liked them... i thought it gave the game a cool pacing...

funny thing, I actually installed system shock 2 last week and got it working on my computer (that can be hard to do). I played through the first training area, it's been so long since I played it. Long enough to be removed from it to the point where I can experience it as a player... we'll see. Most games when you work on them, i guess, kinda lose something when you're seeing the magic from behind the scenes... Not that they're not fun, but just that you don't get that fresh experience as a new player, in a way. Although Tron 2.0 was a little different, since I got to play the PC version and enjoy it as a player before I jumped in to working on the xbox version. hey i babble too much when it's way past bed time...

Traahn
User

on Thursday, June, 01, 2006 2:28 AM
I think there'll eventually be zombies and haunts. There are some undead so far. If there's no 'zombies,' per se, then Thief fans will inevitably add them themselves when they start making missions with the dark mod toolset.

Here's a haunt I'm talking about that's already in it:

Other creatures will be worked on, too.

Glad to hear you fired up SS2. It is a different feeling when playing games and you know, generally speaking, how the levels were made, etc. It becomes more of an analysis than an enjoyment sometimes. Then, other times you can appreciate how much work goes into gamesabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Games