Game Grid 
 Thinking Of A New Game

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
DaveTRON
User

Thinking Of A New Game

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 12:13 AM

I need a few new digicons from Sketch, but I think we can do something cool here!

DaveTRON

DaveTRON
User

Re: Thinking Of A New Game

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 3:49 AM
Knowing how busy Sketch is, I decided to do my own artwork.

Using a screen cap of a light cycle from the arcade game I created a series of 32 x 32 blocks that can be used to form a map. See the example below.

By editing an email and using these blocks, one could have a pretty good lightcycle arena in a message.

I think this could be a lot of fun. It's turn based, and the rules adhere to the basics of lightcycles.

I was thinking of these for rules.

1. Each game has an Editor Referee. This person starts a match and it is the first message in the thread. The ER takes the commands given by each player and changes the first message to indicate the moves selected.
2. A player enters commands in the form of the color of their bike and the move they want to make. BLUE-LEFT would mean the ER changes the tiles to show the blue bike turning left.
3. You can TURBO your move to go two spaces by saying BLUE-LEFT-TURBO which will move you two spaces to the left. (I am working on a chart of moves)
4. Each player must enter a move before the ER makes the changes to the grid by entering a message in the thread. All commands are to be public unless a PM based game is agreed to. Once both commands are in, edits are made and turns progress in this fashion until someone crashes.

I think there are some kinks to work out, and I need to get the tiles upl on the site, but I wanted to know what you all think? Good idea or bad? If one was ambitious, multiple players could play. I figure 2 player matches are a good starting point, but if it catches on we could do bigger games.

It's also pretty damn easy to design maps so we could have a series of standard maps to play from. I am also thinking of having a 64x64 size tile set as my example looks kind of tiny. Any suggestions?

DaveTRON

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 9:43 AM

Hey Dave... I think that sounds like a great idea and fun! I'd certainly play.

The only thing is, the great thing about Light Cycles is that it's the moment of surprise that usually is the main strategy. Like, basically turning in front of someone at the last second. When this is turned based, the element of surprise is kinda lost.

I was wondering if perhaps this can be played somewhat like UNO in that you are given a set of "cards" you can play. Like....... one to force the opposite player to reverse direction. Or force a move on another player. Or Make the opposite player's trail dissapear. You know? Something like a pre-set number of "gotchas" that can be used at any time to keep the element of surprise there.

DaveTRON
User

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 10:28 AM
Yeah, it's kind of hard to do that.

I was thinking that if the game was played via PM the players could guess which direction the other player was going to go and that would give them a sequence of points that would increase the likelihood of winning.

The closer they are on their guesses, the safer they are, but if they guess wrong they come closer to crashing because the negative points cause one of their moves to modify in a way they didn't choose.

Any suggestions on that system?order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 12:05 PM
DaveTRON Wrote:I was thinking that if the game was played via PM

I'm sorry.... what's PM exactly?

Corruption
User

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 12:30 PM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:
DaveTRON Wrote:I was thinking that if the game was played via PM
I'm sorry.... what's PM exactly?

Personal Messages -- top right corner of the page click on the word "view"

Interesting game.. I think it could work.

Sketch
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 1:19 PM
Yeah been little busy at the moment working on a present for the forum members. Need to ask Auric some things concerning this gift.

I tinkered with a lightcycle game grid icon idea like this a while back, but never really got far with it cause of other projects, and the idea I had got a little too complex. I kept thinking of it only being played like posting regular icons, which is what became complicated. The idea of the forum ER is great idea that would solve alot of the problem areas I ran into thinking about the icons being displayed via every member post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Compucore
User

on Wednesday, December, 29, 2004 1:45 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me so far. I like the idea of what you have presented there. Kind of reminds me of some of those third party games of years gone by of the old BBS games that I used to play on a few bbs systems. Where its located on a booard some where else. I do realize that its not the exact same thing. But the idea is good. If we can wht not create it in something more universal like in html or java based where it can be more or less good for everyone there. But thats just the programmer in me over here. Where we can include that for everyone there. What do you think Dave??
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Kamui
User

on Monday, January, 03, 2005 2:49 PM
Idea:

I can keep track of this on TU if you'd like. I'll set up a section just for it. ^^

~kamui.EXEabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

===========================
What should I put here today?
http://mediamaniacgeek.blogspot.com/
TALES OF A MEDIA GEEK

spiritquest
User

on Sunday, February, 20, 2005 11:32 AM
I like the concept of this game, and would be keen to take part.

I used to play RPG's via post where you played gangs in control of land, you would have to send off your plans and moves for the area you were in, and would get updates by post on how you were doing.

Similar strategies, maybe you could run something like instinct points, where they could be used to closely miss a quickturn, if so many are allocated during one game then that would even the balance.

Maybe a quota of special moves coukd be based on a pool of reaction points, to handle quick manouvres. I think the difficulty will be in how to handle head on encounters.

If collision is imminent with a given move, there has to be some kind of "reaction" option available (only at a cost) though. Question is how does your lightcycle respond to reaction movement, maybe some random event or more selective event at the cost of more points. ?

Ket

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Game Grid 
 Thinking Of A New Game