Film Production 
 Interesting take on the idea

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
GreenAdder
User

on Thursday, January, 27, 2005 1:54 PM
Each frame of film was made as a cel, with light shining through specific areas... I've got an interesting idea on how to replicate this effect more faithfully.

This will involve what little I know of Blender. I haven't actually done this myself, so I don't know how practical it would be. While I know much of Blender's capabilities, its convoluted interface has always stymied me when it comes to creating anything impressive with it.

Here's the basic idea. Make a plane and point the camera directly at it, so that it takes up the entire field of vision. Use the actual video (or maybe just one frame of the video) as the texture. You've basically just created a movie screen.

Now comes the hard part. Begin removing all of the parts that light is supposed to shine through. Something tells me that an enormous amount of curves is necessary for this. I could be way off course on this for all I know. Perhaps you could just color in the areas of the frame ahead of time in Photoshop / Gimp and just tell Blender that specific color is transparent.

Now that you've got that taken care of, set up a colored light behind the video and shine it through.

Basically you've just created a virtual lightbox.

If anybody wants to try this out and tell me how it goes, I'd love to see the results.

More data to follow.

GreenAdder
User

Re: Interesting take on the idea

on Saturday, January, 29, 2005 12:15 PM
EDIT:

Okay, here's what I did:

First, I took the original image that I wanted to "tronify" (keep in mind these are TGAs in Blender. I just made them JPGs for the web).

Then I made a mask image. Everything black in this image is what will allow light to shine through.

I put the image onto a plane with "shadeless" turned on so that I didn't need to put lamps in front of it. I positioned a lamp directly behind it.

Unfortunately, because I'm still not exactly a wizard with Blender, that's as far as I got. The end result is rather dissapointing.

Obviously the light is getting through. I set the "world" up to be pure black (0,0,0) and the lamp up to be pure green (0,1.00,0). Seeing as the transparent parts of the plane turn out green, that's a good sign.

What I need to do now is figure out some manner of making the light more visible, either by adding "mist" (which hasn't worked for me yet, or something else.

If anybody has any ideas on getting this to work, I'd love to hear them. This has become somewhat of a quest for me since I came up with the idea. I've made it "...this far."order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

More data to follow.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Film Production