Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Can anyone please verify (PCB eprom missing?)

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
MatTRON
User

on Thursday, May, 26, 2005 8:13 AM
Hello all,

First of all thanks for the great initiative of this site!

I'm hoping one of the fellow arcade owners of the Tron upright
can shine his / her light on my PCB board.

I just recently aquired it, knowing it had sound problems.
Being there is no sound whatsoever. The game is working
perfectly though, and the overall condition of the arcade is
very good.

According to the previous owner it now and then made sound in demo mode which I find hard to believe as apparently it doesn't make sound in demo mode?

I've examined the board (being completely new to PCB's in general) and noticed the slot named 'cp43' is empty.
You can view an image here (large!):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mattice/tron/pcb2.jpg

Is this supposed to have an eprom inthere?
And if so where would one buy one of these?

Thank you for any clues!

Matt

dctron
User

Re: Can anyone please verify (PCB eprom missing?)

on Thursday, May, 26, 2005 11:32 AM
It's supposed to be empty.
I believe there is a separate board for sound.

Some internet research might help as others have had sound problems and have offered solutions.

The manual might be of help also.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Tron WR 14,007,645

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Thursday, May, 26, 2005 7:58 PM
Greetings, MatTRON!

Welcome to TRON-Sector.

I don't know anything about the arcade machines or how to restore them, but hopefully you'll find the answers to what you need. There are at least one or two TRON-Sector members who own vintage, functional TRON arcade machines.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Compucore
User

on Thursday, May, 26, 2005 8:55 PM
I also have found th manuals for them as well over here. But now vintag machine to go along with it. But I am planning to see at another place to see if there is one loaclly to get one that is still in fairly good shape.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Compucore
User

on Thursday, May, 26, 2005 11:08 PM
When you mentioned that it made sounds now and then. Do you mean when you actually play it? Or when it is in demo mode? if it plays now and then and you have th music and sound effects it could be that there might be a loose wire or the sound board on the unit could be flakey. I would have to take a look into the PDF of the game that I have here. I have both PDF for Tron and Disc of tron. So I just need to know which one of the two you have there. To see if the Sound board is a seperate PCB or if it is part of the main board. Where the main board has the CPU on it.

MatTRON Wrote:Hello all,

First of all thanks for the great initiative of this site!

I'm hoping one of the fellow arcade owners of the Tron upright
can shine his / her light on my PCB board.

I just recently aquired it, knowing it had sound problems.
Being there is no sound whatsoever. The game is working
perfectly though, and the overall condition of the arcade is
very good.

According to the previous owner it now and then made sound in demo mode which I find hard to believe as apparently it doesn't make sound in demo mode?

I've examined the board (being completely new to PCB's in general) and noticed the slot named 'cp43' is empty.
You can view an image here (large!):

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mattice/tron/pcb2.jpg

Is this supposed to have an eprom inthere?
And if so where would one buy one of these?

Thank you for any clues!

Matt

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

MatTRON
User

on Friday, May, 27, 2005 6:11 AM
Thanks for all the information!

Now knowing the eprom slot should be empty I did some research (I have aquired the Tron machine just 3 days ago!) and this morning I decided to be brave and take the PCB board out. (This is a TRON v1.0 machine, the blacklight one)

I disconnected all the cables and seperated the 3 circuitboards.
Looking at the middle board I found, to my horror, someone had soldered a wire from the corner of an eprom right onto the circuitboard!!!

I think they did this because the slot itself wasn't good, or the pin of the eprom was broken off. I did not dare to pull the eprom so I'm not sure.

I did however fiddle with the wire a bit, put it all back and ...

tadaaaa... SOUND!

Sweet sweet music... I must say my gaming skills have improved seriously with the sound as both the tank game and
the gridbugs game help you with sounds. (Whenever you're fired at you'll hear it and whenever the timer expires the sound changes)

This is one awesome game, especially WITH sound
Even my girlfriend thinks its cool, we have it up in the living room, blacklights and all :-)

Matt

Compucore
User

on Friday, May, 27, 2005 7:36 PM
Another possible reason they did it this way as well I should know some what over here on some computer motherboards and some other related things that are not PCB related to the arcade game but on the computer side for workstations and all that. There maybe a hairline crack in one of the layers where the trace goes from that pin out to where it is solder to the other end. I don't know how many layers the Tron1.0 PCB board is. But I have seen this kind of thing on many PCB. But it also corrects th problem temporary. I know its a horror to see that happen to a classical game or to a home worksation. .

But at least we know that it works and iyou'll hav many hours of fun with the true arcade machine like that.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade