Actual TRON disk

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Spark
User

Actual TRON disk

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 12:31 AM
Hey people!

I'm an industial designer studying in Philadelphia. I'm always looking for a new project to get into for school. I was thinking about creating a TRON disk (with lights of course) out of plastics and LED's.

I have a deep love of the design of TRON and have already created a clock based on the style.

My question to YOU is: If I were to make a TRON disk, would you buy it from me? If enough people say they'll buy one, I'll happily create a high-quality disk (for display only!) that you could say...hang on your wall or display on your desk.

Whadduya think??

Boingo_Buzzard
User

Re: Actual TRON disk

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 12:37 AM
Spark Wrote:
My question to YOU is: If I were to make a TRON disk, would you buy it from me?

That purely depends on

A) What it ends up looking like

and

B) What it costs

Spark
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 12:38 AM
I was looking for a good picture of the Tron 2.0 disk. If any one can help me that would be great. I need a top-down view (as good as possible) in order to make a digital replica that can be used as a guide.

I thought about doing the Tron movie disk, but its design is simple and somewhat boring (you could just buy a frisbee and paint it with blue stripes). I'd rather it be complicated and worth showing off to friends/relatives/nerds.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Spark
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 12:44 AM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:
Spark Wrote:
My question to YOU is: If I were to make a TRON disk, would you buy it from me?

That purely depends on

A) What it ends up looking like

and

B) What it costs

Well, being that we're all Tron fans here -- it wouldn't really be about money. I just want to give something to the Tron community. Unfortunately constructing things isn't free on my part.

Besides, the first part is that I need the emotional support of fellow Tron lovers. If no one in the biggest Tron community on the Earth cares what I do then it's probably not worth doing, right?

I just want other people interested in this as well!

Cheers!

Prankster bit
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 5:15 AM
Spark Wrote:I was looking for a good picture of the Tron 2.0 disk. If any one can help me that would be great. I need a top-down view (as good as possible) in order to make a digital replica that can be used as a guide.

I thought about doing the Tron movie disk, but its design is simple and somewhat boring (you could just buy a frisbee and paint it with blue stripes). I'd rather it be complicated and worth showing off to friends/relatives/nerds.

i found a picture of Jet with the disc. it clearly shows the design. and [if applicable] the size relative to jet himself

http://www.tron-sector.com/gallery/show.aspx?ID=973

words of wisdom from...

PranKsTeR BiT V2.0

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 9:46 AM
Spark Wrote:
I thought about doing the Tron movie disk, but its design is simple and somewhat boring (you could just buy a frisbee and paint it with blue stripes).

True, but to be honest I probably wouldn't be all that interested in a 2.0 disc. Just my two cents, I am sure a lot of people here will be.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Spark
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 8:04 PM
True, but to be honest I probably wouldn't be all that interested in a 2.0 disc. Just my two cents, I am sure a lot of people here will be.

So you like the Tron 1.0 disk? I will start on the Tron 2.0 and if that is successful I'll look towards making a 1.0.
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Spark
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 8:24 PM
Prankster bit Wrote:
Spark Wrote:I was looking for a good picture of the Tron 2.0 disk. If any one can help me that would be great. I need a top-down view (as good as possible) in order to make a digital replica that can be used as a guide.

I thought about doing the Tron movie disk, but its design is simple and somewhat boring (you could just buy a frisbee and paint it with blue stripes). I'd rather it be complicated and worth showing off to friends/relatives/nerds.

i found a picture of Jet with the disc. it clearly shows the design. and [if applicable] the size relative to jet himself

http://www.tron-sector.com/gallery/show.aspx?ID=973
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Spark
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 8:25 PM
Sweet. That's one kickass pose.

I think the hardest part will be making it glow uniformally. Perhaps one of those circular bulbs:

http://www.buylighting.com/cart/purchase1.asp?pid=86&XPR=06690A7A0480087E088705730406690A7A0480087F088F057304&Sess=&OSt=0&CNID=01650A03670A77047F08

I could mock up the rest, make a mold, fill it with a clear resin.

There may be a better way but that's probably the cheapest.

I could make it out of clear plexi. It would be tough to duplicate all the shapes needed.

I'll think more about it.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Jademz
User

on Thursday, December, 01, 2005 10:34 PM
Ok, this page is seriously out of wack. but here goes post #2, as #1 has dissapeared.. about 1/2 the size of post one. so the instructions of my tron disk method:

plaster of paris
smooth on 2 part rubber.
smooth on 2 part plastic.
silicone spray
glow paint.
tints.
silica balls(reflective balls)
"gold leaf" (silver)
dremmel

mold the plaster into 3 parts of the disk, one part for a clear plastic, for optical luminosity to the second mold, mixed with glow paint, and silica balls. and third to make the body of the disk.

then make them perfect, and make a rubber mold. make the mold for part two open, so that silica balls may be sprayed on, and mixed into the curing plastic, or each of the plastic pieces should be sprayed.

the rest is design to make it suitable for controller, wiring harness, and lights, and laminating each layer.
this could go on forever with just implementing methods to use other materials, but I would use these.
you would be impressed to see this disk,
I'll do one if you want to see an example... IF lol

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, December, 03, 2005 12:55 AM
If you people are going to hand type the quote tags into a message, make sure to use the quote tag at the beginning and the /quote tag at the end or you will screw up the formatting of the entire section. it's not a problem with this site, it's a problem with people posting incorrectly.

DaveTRON

Jademz
User

on Saturday, December, 03, 2005 7:43 PM
ok I talked myself into creating a tron disk... dunno when I'll get it done, I just got the plastic, now to find the secret ingredients. LOLorder abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Saturday, December, 03, 2005 8:23 PM

What would be neat is a Tron 1.0 Disk that was more of a plaster kind of material. Sure you could paint a frisbee with rings, but in the movie when Ram is tossing it around, it definately was making a sound that made it feel as though it was more of a plaster kind of material, not plastic.

Then it would be nice to have the glow triggered by movement.. like a glow stick, but that would be somewhat difficult, I imagine.

Compucore
User

on Saturday, December, 03, 2005 9:21 PM
I thought that the one in the original movie of Tron sounded like it was made of ceramic than of plaster or Plastic. Not the one that they had thrown but the one that RAM was flipping around like crazy to show off his skills.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Sunday, December, 04, 2005 12:26 PM
Compucore Wrote:I thought that the one in the original movie of Tron sounded like it was made of ceramic than of plaster or Plastic. Not the one that they had thrown but the one that RAM was flipping around like crazy to show off his skills.

Yes, I think ceramic is the word I was looking for. Thanks.

DaveTRON
User

on Sunday, December, 04, 2005 12:42 PM
The one in the movie was a platic frisbee and the hands belong to Sam Schatz, the Frisbee champ.

The sound effect was added in Post Production to make it sound metallic.where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

DaveTRON

Jademz
User

on Sunday, December, 04, 2005 3:56 PM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:

What would be neat is a Tron 1.0 Disk that was more of a plaster kind of material. Sure you could paint a frisbee with rings, but in the movie when Ram is tossing it around, it definately was making a sound that made it feel as though it was more of a plaster kind of material, not plastic.

Then it would be nice to have the glow triggered by movement.. like a glow stick, but that would be somewhat difficult, I imagine.

You could make one out of plaster, called durabond. it's like concrete, but it's as hard as ceramic. the materials for light sounds and motion sensors are available on the net. I go to a store down the street called skycraft, where I can get many types of parts for making electronics, and machines.

The plastic I'm using has a higher shatter point than plastic in frisbees, but it's crystal clear, so I can use materials like FO, and tint them to look like circuitry, or use variations of the materials for the machinery look, in the tron 2.0 disk. I'm going to make one of each type..

anything's possible, hell if I had my way, I would make it anti gravity with helical blades ontop of the internal AG disk, while the helical rotates, it stabilizes the disk, the external part could rotate, but like a segway, with holes to exchange the outside air propelled by the helical(s).. ok I'm bored.. people always make my ideas.. o well.

PrinceAuron
User

on Friday, March, 31, 2006 12:49 AM
I don't know if this is still you know... here, but I'd love to see if you ever built this display disc, and I'd probably buy it from ya assuming it was relatively inexpensive :P

Jademz
User

on Friday, March, 31, 2006 10:45 PM
Sadly, I want to really bad, and, I am hearing the same interests from others. It's really something I'll have to make asap. As far as cost, the most effort goes into designing molds, and fabricating the effects into each lamination. I'd say I could spend 10 hours to make one. I may spend 150.00 to make 4 or 5 of them. but I wouldn't sell these a salesman. I'm guessing 50 bucks, off the top of my head. (wish it were less) I'll keep you updated. (making a post-it note to myself)

shadow_user
User

on Saturday, July, 22, 2006 11:06 PM
I would, but not until I have a DS. Those things are porfin' expensive, even with the MVP discount.

Mental Sector

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Status Bar 
 Actual TRON disk