TRON: LEGACY 
 Tron 2.0, Machinima and other thoughts.

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
CB2001
User

on Friday, July, 21, 2006 5:04 PM
First of all, let me say "Greetings, Programs." I remember growing up watching the original "Tron", and the first time my family rented it from one of the video stores in my home town of Madison, Florida. And even after all these years, "Tron" still holds a place as one of my favorite childhood memories (including me remember watching "Knight Rider").

I recently finished playing "Tron 2.0" for the PC after I found it at Office Max for $7. And I must say, I was impressed with not just the game play, but with the story as well.

I myself have started to get into the whole concept of machinima (so far, I've experimented in machinima by using the video game "Need for Speed: High Stakes" and am currently planning and plotting out a potential machinima comic book fan fiction series set in the universe of the new "Battlestar Galactica" TV series on Sci-Fi). I've notice a few people here talking about using "Tron 2.0" to make machinima and I know how that there is a lack of programs to be useful in aiding in making such a machinima or in making mods (seeing that the game is a Disney related program, since when has the Disney company released a game that was a film tie-in that was capable of being modded?). Anyways, after doing some thinking, there are a couple of answers I can come up with.

1. Another program that uses the same engine: A while ago, there was a machinima maker who created a short film that was meant to be the start of a possible series called "Just A Game". The short was made with the use of "Tribes: Vengeance", which does not come with a editor. However, due to the huge fan-based for that game, a user who also owned a copy of "Unreal Tournament 2004", managed to edit and convert UnrealEditor (a program that is capable of both making maps and cut-scenes) over into a program called "Tribes Editor". And seeing that both games use the same engine, the conversion of the editor allowed the user who made "Just a Game" to make the "in-game" scenes. If the game engine for "Tron 2.0" has been used for another game (one that allows the use of the mods), then a conversion of the editor program from that game to "Tron 2.0" may be possible. However, seeing that I know nothing about programming, I cannot say for sure that the above is correct or 100% possible or plausable.

2. Another game with mods: Who said that using "Tron 2.0" HAD to be necessary for making "Tron" machinima? There are various users who have made "Tron"-inspired items, like this Tron-like glowing game character here: http://unrealtournament2004.filefront.com/file/Frost;65740

A lot of games allow for cut-scene creation, including the above mentioned "Unreal Tournament 2004", to which the two disk release of the game includes a bunch of tutorials on how to create cut-scenes within the editor. Though I know fans want to use "Tron 2.0" because of the in-game models already existing, using another game with mods, models and levels inspired by "Tron" with a game engine that allows mods would be a better way to go. Head over to Machinima.com , they've got many of examples of various game engines being used to make Machinima.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what does the machinima have to do with a Tron movie discussion? Well, TBH, I think that if there is to be another "Tron" movie, that the should just be a remake of the story for the game. Instead of the normal CG backgrounds featured in the original, they could just use some of the in-game cut scenes for the "in computer" sequences (the only footage they'd have to reshoot is the real world parts and shoot it on normal film, so that they can establish the feel of both reality and establish the artificial feel of inside the computer worlds). I posted this suggestion over at the IMDb, but one user replied saying "That would look crappy." I still don't believe so. By using a gaming engine for the "in-computer" world, it would cut down on cost and time to create those sequences (in com

Traahn
User

Re: Tron 2.0, Machinima and other thoughts.

on Friday, July, 21, 2006 6:07 PM
Welcome to Tron-Sector! I don't have much to say, other than:

* I agree we here shouldn't feel restricted to using the Tron 2.0 game editor to create more Tron video games or campaigns. A mod using Doom 3's engine, or whatever, I'm sure is highly possible; given the right amount of time, effort and resources. Unfortunately, it'd probably be hard to find a base of people large enough, talented enough and with enough drive to carry such a project through to completion as it would be strictly volunteer; and it's not like the Tron fan-base is huge like Star Wars. Many mods fail because of the devotion needed. It sounds good at first, but then the idea loses steam as it becomes clear how much work is needed without getting paid for it.

* As for a movie remake or sequel (in film), I would want the same style of computer graphics that was used in the original, coupled with live actors; just as the original movie was. I wouldn't want the actors being CG (I could just play Kingdom Hearts 2, or look at the intro to the Tron DVD if I wanted that), and I don't necessarily need a new Tron movie 'taken to the next level.' That leaves a lot of room for artistic interpretation that I'm afraid wouldn't be done in a manner very true to the original. And using in-game backdops doesn't sound very exciting to me...

Regardless, welcome to the world of Tron-Sector!

order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

CB2001
User

on Friday, July, 21, 2006 7:25 PM
Thank you Traahn for the welcome and you comments.

Like I said, I have an odd point of view on things. "I'm weird like that." - One of the Programs in the Progress Bar, "Tron 2.0".

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Friday, July, 21, 2006 10:32 PM
Greetings, CB2001 and welcome to TRON-Sector!

Machinima? To be honest, I had to look up that term. Ahh - animation and storytelling via gaming engines. Yes, I'm familiar with that. I just didn't know the terminology so well.

So TRON machinima? Sounds interesting. I'd like to see some demo work on this, if you have any. I imagine TRON machinima would look similar to the cut scenes in TRON 2.0. I thought they did pretty good with the imagery, look, style, and animation in TRON 2.0.

A couple of threads you may want to hit are:

What's with your name?

And...

Don't forget to PING in every time you have yourself Another dose of TRON

I think you'll enjoy your time here at The Sector

Traahn
User

on Saturday, July, 22, 2006 1:13 AM
My bad. I also didn't know what machinima until TheReelTodd mentioned that. I had seen Red vs. Blue before, but didn't know it was called that. It's not something I find particularly interesting, but I'm sure brilliant things could be done w/ regards to Tron machinima given the right talents and voice acting.

I just watched part of Machinima called "Hardly Workin'" (from machinima.com) and it suffers from the same thing that Red vs. Blue suffers from: the environment is too static, and I get bored with that; and I can't help but envision a couple people sitting at their computer speaking into a microphone to do the voiceover work for the video...which ruins the immersion for me.

Not sure if all machinima suffers the same affliction, but those are my thoughts on it on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

CB2001
User

on Saturday, July, 22, 2006 4:13 AM
TheReelTodd- Thank you for the welcoming and I also hope to enjoy my time here at the Sector.

First of all, I realize there is some confusion. I didn't mean that I had any demo work in relation to "Trom"-type machinima (I'm still practically a Freshman in this field, having one done two seperate shorts with two different games). I apologize for the confusion and to defuse any hopes that fans may have had to seeing any "Tron" related machinima work from me. Understanding machinima is one of the things I tend to know (seeing that I'm looking to becoming a director, paying attention to all sorts of technology and techniques is always important).

Like I said, I've done experimentation with machinima by using "Need for Speed: High Stakes" and have done an adaptation of the Queen Mab speech from "Romeo and Juliet". I was pointing out some of the information above because I noticed that there were a few posters that had talked about trying to make mods for "Tron 2.0" and that out of that few there were users who talked about using the game to create cut scenes for machinima. Hence the reason for some of the information I presented.

Also, as I stated, I had thought about a fan film remake for the "Tron 2.0" game (with it being part machinima), but I always have thoughts about what could work as a film (be it short or feature-length) and whatnot. So, that was just another thought in the long list I've got. And that opinion still stands for any official "Tron" sequel made (if Disney ever stopped bothering with movies based on theme park attractions and got back to telling stories not inspired by their own parks rides).

Using other game engines (as stated before, Unreal Tournament 2004 is a rather good one) and searching for fan-made content, one could create a cut scene that could be transformed into footage (by using a program like Fraps) for a "Tron" machinima fan film just as possible as waiting to find another game that uses the same gaming engine as "Tron 2.0" and seeing if that game allows for mods (and the possibility of converting an editor over for the "Tron 2.0" game).

And what game engine needed isn't really necessary (I came across a freeware program called "Battle of Yavin", which is a 3D space flight simulator of the battle scene from "Star Wars", to which another user made a "Tron" mod for, with blue Recognizers against red ones in the computer space of Tron). All the resources are out there on a technical standpoint. And, if its an engine that someone knows how to use, anyone can find it and use it. When I did the experiment machinima short film called "An American Roadrunner in England" (that's right, featuring the Roadrunner from the Looney Tunes cartoon in a not so funny experimental short, which can be found on Machinima.com. If you've got a good connection, you can stream it), I used Fraps to capture replay footage from multiple replays of a level in the game, while using a user-made "Road Runner" character-based vehicle I had come across quite by accident.

Traahn- It's understandable about what you mean by the "static" environment. Many of machinima makers often have to use what they have due to lack of some content or the use of system ("Red vs. Blue" started off using "Halo" on the X-Box. But as the series progressed, they began to also use the PC port of the game along with the X-Box). Seeing that I do not know how flexable the modding ability for the X-Box version of the game or for any version of "Halo" for that matter, I cannot make any comments about customizing environments. Most of the makers of machinima who use "Halo" or "Halo 2" don't seem to have problems with the enivironments (they use them to their full potential). Other games, like "The Sims 2", which I've got, give a more free-range ability in creating environments, characters and custom content. However, like what would be necessary for making in-game cutscenes using UT2

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Monday, July, 24, 2006 7:47 PM
CB2001 Wrote:TheReelTodd- Thank you for the welcoming and I also hope to enjoy my time here at the Sector.

First of all, I realize there is some confusion. I didn't mean that I had any demo work in relation to "Trom"-type machinima (I'm still practically a Freshman in this field, having one done two seperate shorts with two different games). I apologize for the confusion and to defuse any hopes that fans may have had to seeing any "Tron" related machinima work from me. Understanding machinima is one of the things I tend to know (seeing that I'm looking to becoming a director, paying attention to all sorts of technology and techniques is always important).

No machinima TRON demo?

How DARE you show your face around here!

He he. Just kidding.

That's find. I thought you may have been working on some rough TRON machinima things since you seemed interested in that concept.

It is a relatively cheap method of producing cinema - especially if you don't have a budget to work with.

Well, if you eventually work on some TRON related mochinima, please let us know.

If you have other non-TRON mochinima you'd like to show off, feel free to do that as well in Other Sectors. We all enjoy sharing our non-TRON creative interests here as well. TRON-Sector has a way of attracting creative minded, talented folks. It is very common for people to be showing off their artwork there. The best part is NO TROLLS! All you'll get is meaningful and insightful feedback on your work.

CB2001
User

on Monday, July, 24, 2006 11:19 PM
Well, I sure will. Seeing that I've used "The Sims 2" and "Need for Speed: High Stakes", those are two engines I'm used to (recently, I purchased "Sim City 4" to aid in using "The Sims 2" for use in my current machinima comic book fan fiction series in development that is set within the new "Battlestar Galactica" universe).

I came across a circuitboard floor design that a user made over at ModTheSims2.com, in which they said they were inspired by "Tron". Unfortunately, that was a while ago and the user has taken it down. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a few "Tron" related walls and floors.

BTW, I noticed in the download section that there is a "Sims 2" "Tron" inspired character (by Kamui.EXE I think it said), but I realized that the download isn't working (it's not a big deal, I was just interested in how the Sim looked).

TBH, I have considered on making a Jet Sim for the game (but it'd be how he looks before he gets pulled into the computer), but I've got plenty of Sims on my list, as well as a lot of short story ideas I want to explore, the machinima comic book fan fiction series (previously mentioned) and the fact that I'm also moving from one apartment complex into another (the people who own the apartment building I currently reside in are getting everyone out when the lease is up, tear it down and then put up a parking lot). A lot to do, you know?

But anyway, I will post any "Tron" related machinima material if I ever get around to doing any. where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

TheReelTodd
Sector Admin

on Tuesday, July, 25, 2006 7:12 PM
CB2001 Wrote:BTW, I noticed in the download section that there is a "Sims 2" "Tron" inspired character (by Kamui.EXE I think it said), but I realized that the download isn't working (it's not a big deal, I was just interested in how the Sim looked).

Yeah, sorry about that.

There are MANY broken file links (or corrupt files) in the file archives here unfortunately. I'm not sure if it is a matter of doing some reprogramming on the site, or if the files are simply corrupt and useless now.

TRON-Sector is functional for the most part, but needs some major attention. Auric, the web master and owner of this site, is a very busy guy these days, so a lot of things slide as a result. Bummer.

CB2001
User

on Wednesday, July, 26, 2006 2:30 AM
I understand what it means to be busy and unable to update a website. I myself I have one that I haven't undated in a while (actually, I'm still planning to a redesign of my site, but have been so busy with a lot of things to even think about a redesign).order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY