Other Games 
 Intv 2nd Edition

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Sketch
Sector Admin

Intv 2nd Edition

on Thursday, August, 17, 2006 11:00 PM
Found this today. An Intellivision 2nd Edition plug and play controller. I'm sure everyone here will be interested in this.

Take a closer look at what's included. No your eyes are not playing tricks.

The controller has 10 games. in all there's super-enhanced Astrosmash 2, Beach Volleyball, Crown of Kings, Deadly Discs, Frog Bog, Long Drive Golf, Maze Shoot, super-enhanced Space Armada 2, Space Gunner, and Tennis. I'm mailny going to talk about Deadly Discs.

Selection screen:

They've taken all references to Tron from the game it seems just to be able to released it. Understandable. It's simply Deadly Discs now.

Here you can see they took the circuit pattern out above the playing field and changed the border to a dark blue, even though what's shown on the box is closer to the original Tron Deadly Discs look. The three squares are your health. You only have one life, which really stinks. Derezz once and it's gameover. However, when hit, you don't slow down like the original.

They've added a pause feature.

The recognizer has been changed and shrunk to a "Battle Drone" to eliminate the Tron reference.

Game Over!

The sound has been replaced with newer different sounds unlike the old buzzes and derezz sound from the old game. The Battle Drone, sadly, doesn’t make a sound when entering and leaving the play field, unlike the recognizer of the old game. Game play wise, it still plays nicely. Sure there are changes, but the gameplay is still there. It is easier to move the character around the playing field compared to the old disc control on the Intv touch pad, though the touch pad allows you to run in one direction and shoot in another at the same time, here you can't. The game character fires in the direction your moving. Blocking is different. Push block, you stay in block, press it again to unblock. The controller is very easy to handle, fits your hands, and has a solid button control and feel.

I'm keeping this for Deadly Discs, even though I own and play the original on my Intv II. Even though it's different cause of the changes I get more into it the more I play. This controller is worth looking into. I have to say some care has actually been put forth in this system compared to the first Intv plug and play controllers, which where very poor ports in my opinion.

EDIT:

Slight correction. The original Deadly Dics only had one life as well, so there was no change there. My bad.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue_bezel/

Hikaru.EXE
User

Re: Intv 2nd Edition

on Thursday, August, 17, 2006 11:06 PM
Woh. That's pretty awesome.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, August, 17, 2006 11:11 PM

That looks pretty cool. Seems like a nice, inexpensive way to get a taste of playing the Deadly Discs game. Too bad it's not a completely faithful port, but I know they did it so they wouldn't have to pay for the right to use the Tron name again.

I don't have an Intellivision, but I've played the game in emulation. Both on the PC and the GP2X. It's a fun and addictive game.

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Boingo_Buzzard
User

on Friday, August, 18, 2006 11:02 AM

I wonder what the politics were behind them not being able to faithfully port the Tron version to it. Disney being a buttmunch?

DaveTRON
User

on Friday, August, 18, 2006 11:46 AM
Boingo_Buzzard Wrote:

I wonder what the politics were behind them not being able to faithfully port the Tron version to it. Disney being a buttmunch?

Disney has been being Buttmunches about TRON since the day before Day 1.

DaveTRON

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Games 
 Intv 2nd Edition