Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Tron Original Cab Upright - Monitor Issues - Help?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Halcyon
User

on Friday, September, 01, 2006 1:06 PM
I currently have a Tron in the original upright cabinet that I am about to begin restoring. I have enjoyed playing the game over the past couple of months whenever I have time, and I recently had to move it about 10 feet across my garage to make room for some other stuff. After doing this, the game will power up completely (I can insert credits, hear the sounds, play the game, and all of the associated lights function fine) but there is no picture on the screen. If I have all of the lights out in my garage when I power the game on, I can see that the monitor is glowing like it has power, but no picture. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can try to resolve the problem, or what it is for sure? I would greatly appreciate any help!

matthew180
User

Re: Tron Original Cab Upright - Monitor Issues - H

on Saturday, September, 02, 2006 9:17 PM
Do you hear the high-pitch wine of the high voltage circuit (all CRT's, i.e. monitors and TV's make this noise, it's just the way they work)? Does the screen make a that static crackle sound when you power it on or off? If not, I'd say your flyback transformer went out, or the high-voltage power transistor. A failure of either is unfortunate since they are hard to get replacements for, and difficult, not to mention very dangerous, to replace.

But, before you go buying anything, make sure a cable did not come loose. After 20+ years, connectors are very prone to being dirty and not making good connections any longer. Reseat all connectors you feel comfortable working with. If you don't know much about electronics, then get help from a friend who does, otherwise STAY AWAY from the monitor! The high voltage is totally in the open in coin-ops and it will reach out and bite you.

If you determine for sure that it is a monitor problem, you can buy new and refurb units for a few hundred last I checked. Might be worth it if the CRT has any bad screen burn, since that is not something you can fix. At the very least you are going to want to do a cap-kit on the monitor as part of your restoration.

Matthew

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade