TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Video issues

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
mhd1283
User

Video issues

on Wednesday, September, 06, 2006 11:16 AM
I recently picked up a Tron cabinet along with a few other games from a private collector. When I turn Tron on the screen is solid white, then after a short time it starts changing from white to blue to red. While this is happening I don't get any sound.

Any ideas?

matthew180
User

Re: Video issues

on Thursday, September, 07, 2006 9:35 PM
This really does not sound like a screen problem, since you can see something at all would indicate the screen is working fine.

First thing I would check is the power supply reset circuit. The power supply has a circuit that will do a clean reset of the system if the input voltage falls below a certain voltage. This makes sure the game resets to a known state in the event of a brown-out and the like. Since these games are old, the reset circuit has been known to fail over time and keep the game in constant reset, etc..

You will also want to replace the lithium battery with a new one (or a modern replacement that can be recharged), and ideally remove the entire battery from the power supply and mount it in the cabinet someplace where it won't cause damage *when* it leaks.

You didn't mention how handy you are at electronics, so some of this you might need to get help with. Also, you should get the service manual so you know what you're doing while poking around.

Matthew
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

mhd1283
User

on Sunday, September, 10, 2006 11:06 PM
Well, before reading this reply I was looking around for anything damage I could see (physical) inside the cabinet. I pushed in then pulled out what I believe is the service switch on the interior side of the cabinet about half way up. Now I have nothing at all. The game doesn't even power up.I tested the service switch and I am getting 120 to the switch and the switch appears to be good (tested it). I tested the voltage going through each side of the switch while it was in, out and left in the middle.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

matthew180
User

on Monday, September, 11, 2006 1:33 PM
That is called an *interlock* switch. It is on while being pushed in and held (which would be done by the back panel when in place), or when specifically pulled out for operating the machine without the back panel (usually for service.)

I would start with the power supply board. Test the incoming and outgoing voltages, which will tell you very quickly where the problem is.

Pushing and pulling that switch is no different that flipping the main power switch, or unplugging and repluggin the power cord, etc.. But, there may be more than one of those switches, so make sure you didn't miss one. With the back panel off, they will have to be pulled out.

Matthew

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

mhd1283
User

on Monday, September, 11, 2006 5:42 PM
Yeah, the switch I was referring to ios not the one that is pushed in by having the back panel on it is further up the side wall and positioned in such a way that the back panel can't effect it (button vertical). I wll test the power supply, but if the power supply was bad how could the switch I am referring to be getting 120 to it?

matthew180
User

on Tuesday, September, 12, 2006 2:30 AM
Well, the 120VAC is going to run through the interlocks before making it to the power supply board. The big black thing in the bottom, along with some large capacitors are not the power supply. The power supply is the circuit board mounted on the side (I think) that has the large black heat-sink on it. Power for the lights, coin doors, monitor, etc. will *not* come from the power supply board, and all those should work even if the game does not.

If you don't get any lights, and the monitor does not fire up (a crackle/hum sound when you turn on the machine), then your problem is going to be that stuff in the very bottom. Electronically it is not difficult, but it is the RAW 120/220VAC and can hurt you, so know what you are doing. Start checking for fuses and such, but I don't remember right off, its been a while since I looked at a real cabinet. You are going to want to get the service manual (I don't work on a coin-op without one.)

Matthew
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

mhd1283
User

on Tuesday, September, 12, 2006 2:28 PM
I will have to do some more checking. I tested all the fuses in the bottom of the cabinet already, but I will have to go back and take a closer look at the bottom of the cab.

mhd1283
User

on Monday, October, 02, 2006 4:43 PM
So, I had some time recently to do some more digging in my Tron cabinet. After a short amount of time I realized that the complete power failure was due to too many cooks in the kitchen. I had pushed one interlock switch in and a buddy of mine another. Once I realized that power was restored. I then after some debate cut the infamous purple wire on the power supply.

TADA! She fired up and wsa working like a charm. Then it rebooted after about 15 minutes. Now I am not stuck with a white screen anymore I am getting a reboot sporadically. SOmetimes it will play for a few minutes sometimes a few seconds, but usually never longer than 10 min.

I know now (after seeing it boot up a number of times) that the machine must have been stuck in constant reboot. Before as I stated the screen was just solid white. I see that same solid white screen ina sequence of others whne it reboots everytime.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

matthew180
User

on Monday, October, 02, 2006 8:12 PM
"Cut" the purple wire? Sure wish you would have just removed it from the connector going to the power supply (keeping a classic game in as original condition is part of owing one). Keep in mind that the protection circuit is there for a reason, and disabling that signal is kind of like sticking a penny in the fuse box. Allowing the game to come out of reset did not fix the problem, and lifting the purple wire should only be used for troubleshooting.

So you know the game works and the problem seems to be with the power supply.

You need to verify the voltages. If the game was in reset then is sounds like the power supply was aging and probably needs a cap kit at the very least, followed by a power supply adjustment. Keep in mind that the adjustment has to be made with a load (i.e. the game boards connected and powered on), and you can blow everything up if you're not careful. Also make sure and replace the battery on the power supply with a suitable replacement (must be recharagable.)

Matthew

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 Video issues