TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 sound problem

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
bologacz
User

sound problem

on Wednesday, September, 27, 2006 6:39 AM
Hello, I am new to this site and was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I have with my recently bought tron arcade machine. Everything works except the sound, none at all, I ran the diagnostics on the machine and it comes up "sound board A9 A6". Any ideas what on what this problem is would be greatly appreciated. This is my first, and greatest, arcade game so please help me fix my baby.

Thanks!

matthew180
User

Re: sound problem

on Friday, September, 29, 2006 12:37 PM
Well, it seems the diagnostics are telling you what the problem is. A9 and A6 are most likely ROMs (have not looked at a real TRON coin-op in a long time). At least you know it is the sound board, which is where one would expect to start since that's the only problem.

Helping you fix this problem depends on a couple of things. First, how technical you are (or are willing to become). Second, how willing you are to learn, research, and get dirty. If you don't know anything about electronics, you need to educate yourself a little first, or get a friend who does know some electronics and ideally some digital electronics knowledge.

Also, you absolutely cannot fix a coin-op without a service manual and schematics, so you will need to get your hands on a real or electronic version.

If any ROMs are bad, you will need a EPROM eraser and programmer (two different items), or find someone who has them. I have both and have posted before that I am willing to program EPROMs for anyone on the board, you just pay for shipping both ways. A decent entry level programmer will set you back about $200 or so, which is why most hobbiest don't have them.

You will need a multimeter and logic probe, both of which can be bought at Radio Shack, but personally I prefer a higher end meter (Fluke). If you are really serious about servicing the unit, eventually you will also need an oscilliscope or logic analyzer.

If I get some time, I'll see if I can dig up what A9 and A6 are on the sound board, but you need to try yourself as well.

If all this is beyond what you are wanting or willing to do, you will have to pay to have the game serviced. But keep in mind that these games are 20+ years old and they will only fail more as time goes on. Learning to service them is almost a requirement of ownership, unless you have more money than time and pay someone else to fix it.

Matthew
order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

bologacz
User

on Saturday, September, 30, 2006 11:39 AM
Thanks Matthew, I have the manual and would like to fix the boards I have but in the mean time I have found a set of good boards and was hoping to be able to swap out the bad boards with good ones or is this not as simple as it sounds?

again thanks for the reply!where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

matthew180
User

on Saturday, September, 30, 2006 5:13 PM
If you have a known good set of boards, absolutely swap them out. That is one of the easiest ways to troubleshoot and at least isolate a faulty board. Just make sure you have the same part numbers, then swap each board one at a time and make sure the game works after each swap. One word of caution in doing this, if a power problem caused a board to fail, you might ruin your new board if the problem still exists. Kind of like finding a blown fuse; something caused that fuse to blow and just replacing the fuse usually does not do any good until you correct the problem.

I'd start with the sound board and see if that fixes your problem. If it does, there is no reason to swap anything else, just put the other boards in a safe place until they are needed (or test them as a set right now to ensure they are good, then put them away.)

Once you know the faulty board, you can begin troubleshooting to the component level. The first thing to check is that the ROMs are valid (if the board has ROMs). Also, the diagnostics were reporting what looked like specific chips, so I'd start with those locations.

Matthew

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

ddawgith
User

on Saturday, October, 27, 2007 2:19 AM
I recently found a guy that will swap out boards for $109 plus shipping. eldoradogames.com

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 sound problem