Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 Other Games 
 Change FOV for TRON 2 to display on my invention?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments: FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
Daddyo
User

Re: Change FOV for TRON 2 to display on my invention?

on Sunday, May, 11, 2008 3:00 AM
I would think you would need something that would brighten the image as you move toward the outer edges, since the light there has to spread over more area. Do you notice it's darker there?on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

FlexibleFront
User

on Sunday, May, 11, 2008 9:20 AM
David1 Wrote:Regardless, it seems a logical thing to do would be have a specific video driver for the video card?

After all, the video driver is a lot of what you work with for most games and given the pixel location distortion, a good video driver would take the image and know how to distort the image appropriately so that when projected it would appear correct.

Especially since the video card isn't just working with pixels but rather plastering bitmaps over triangles.

Almost like a simple "Video Processing" effect...

Anyway, I don't really know the answer and I might be suggesting something stupid.... But the thought did come to mind -

Nice work you've done too - I've seen something like this at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney... They actually made a complete documentary like this with a special camera and it does feel a lot more like you're there.

David.
A specifik jDome mode in the graphics drivers would be really nice!
You are correct - no one can patent a domed screen - the patent lies in the foldability - it will fold away in one piece to no bigger than a desk table in size 160x80x10cm (65x30x5 inches)

Well - the jDome took off today 20000+ views on youtube! - thank you all for your interest!

I also got a donation today - five dollars! That kind of sum in numbers will definatly launch this thing and hopefully make game developers make options for the jDome in their games.

I'd like to reply to more posts here, but I have work to do on the site. I honestly didn't expect that many views so soon. Please check the jdome site - it might answer some of your questions - hope to get a FAQ up soon too.

order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

David1
User

on Sunday, May, 11, 2008 10:13 AM
Yes, even if the dome itself isn't patentable, the mehcanims to make, install, setup etc may be.

Creating a geometry altering algorythm might also be patentable - at least in the US.

You could also do this at the "raster" level - by building a real-time application that takes a snapshot of the screen, separates each pixel, then applies a custom distortion mask to it to create corrections for geometry and finally anti-aliases it.

A good algorythm could take a standard resolution of, say, 1024 x 768 and blow it up to something a high resolution projector can handle (eg, 1920 x 1080) and then adjust the resolution for geometry in projection so that the centre contains more detail than the fringes and so when projected it all looks normal.

That could be an alternate way to do it - something like FRAPS does... Except re-encoding it with altered geometry.

I recall a similar technology on Youtube ( or maybe it was slashdot.org ) that could project from any angle onto a screen and adjust the geometry of the picture so it looked normal.. Like a super-keystone correction algorythm. Even worked on curved surfaces if I remember correctly and it self-adjusted automatically. It used a camera with a projector to self-calibrate.

I remember they would put a white model car down and it would use the projector to overlay paint bitmaps on it no matter the angle it was on...

Anyway, a useful market for your application, in sample quantities, might be game marketting companies who do tech shows... They are always looking for a useful gimmick to draw in the crowds to their booth so that they can peddle their wares... Something like you did would be very useful for that, and would showcase your tech while making you some sales.

Even an incomplete/imperfect technology is useful simply because it's different.

David1

Who hacked my .sig?

Jademz
User

Re: Change FOV for TRON 2 to display on my inventi

on Friday, May, 16, 2008 9:34 PM
ok, I'll just add about using laser lenses hypothetically:

You get a contract, and your screen does the job fine. a coopted virtual 3D machine where your effects are infront of you in the form of 3D laser light, a muzzle flash, air and ground FX.
Take for example military technology, the F-35 has a helmet that beams laser light into your retina. A similar system with more dynamic range could work in your globe like projection, possibly for every day gamers. Just a thought.

TRON.dll
User

on Friday, May, 16, 2008 11:02 PM
In theory, that if jDome becomes really popular, and developers start optimizing games for it, it seems like jDome could even expand to consoles, too. I can see it now: Super Mario whatever for the next Nintendo system:

Main Menu
-Options
--Screen Settings
---Widescreen, standard, or jDome?

hehe, that'd be awesome.

Gizmondo estimates a price somewhere between $100-$150, true? If so, I think it'll really take off. Being able to play a game in jDome's pseudo-VR environment at an affordable price would be awesome, and it definitely is a more affordable version of Namco's prototype arcade cabinet that was similar to jDome.

The difference between jDome and this prototype was that the prototype projected the image through fisheye lens, rather than with jDome's method.

Sounds really cool, and at an affordable price, I think you're on the game grid to success.

I was wondering though, how would a game like Defcon run with jDome? Defcon is essentially 2-D, and I was wondering how a game like that or Super Mario Brothers or the like would run with jDome. Would changing the FOV be neccesary for such games?

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

FlexibleFront
User

on Thursday, June, 05, 2008 3:41 PM
Others seem to like the jDome too...

Check out the first public test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQfpsIQLuE
where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

TRON.dll
User

on Thursday, June, 05, 2008 4:14 PM
Nice video!

I'm still wondering, though, would any source code modification be required for games that are played from a two-dimensional perspective - such as the one I provided a link to? Here's a screenshot:

The game is not played from a three-dimensional perspective, rather it's played as if you are looking at a big animated map of the world. If you've ever seen the movie Wargames with Matthew Broderick, then you can tell it's like the big map screen of the world in NORAD.

FlexibleFront wrote (regarding NAMCO's beta Starblade game)Well, do you know why it was cancelled after public testing?

Although NAMCO never officially specified why it was dropped, I'm assuming that it was because of the high cost of the cabinet. The original Starblade game had that problem, too. The seat would vibrate whenever you were hit, and strobe lights would blind you. Whenever you hit an enemy, a red LED light would light up on the flight yoke on the cabinet (which was used for aiming and shooting). But because of all of these features, the cabinet was very expensive and heavy, a problem I assume was a leading factor in the failure of Namco's prototype. I sincerley hope that jDome doesn't face the same problems.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

FlexibleFront
User

on Thursday, June, 05, 2008 4:43 PM
TRON.dll Wrote:Nice video!

I'm still wondering, though, would any source code modification be required for games that are played from a two-dimensional perspective - such as the one I provided a link to? Here's a screenshot:

Thank you!

About the 2d game - think of it this way - if you played a boardgame - would it give you something extra if the board was shaped like dome?
The jDome is an Immersion System. It is meant to give you feeling of being "there" - in the game, ie I think it works best with some sort of 3D-representation.
However - imagine this - if your 2d game image of the entire world was displayed on a 3d sphere, which you could spin around and not zoom into and then turn the jDome around 180-degrees... - now we are talking!where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Jademz
User

on Thursday, June, 05, 2008 6:55 PM
FlexibleFront, that looks awesome, I noticed while playing battlefield 2 how people were able to see around corners simply because they had widescreen, and thus capable of seeing and shooting around someone viewing the game in 4:3. This makes your invention very exciting for gameplay, simply because most people don't even know their capability in such an environment, 180 degrees. very fun.

I have one question. Could you make optical illusions using multilayers of fiber and gas/fog, or special lenses inside the materials to enhance it? (such as a second projection method intermittently enhancing FOV 3D).

I'm just wondering if that thing is HiDef, and if you could make it HD?(mostly)

FlexibleFront
User

on Tuesday, June, 10, 2008 3:40 AM
Jademz Wrote:FlexibleFront, that looks awesome, I noticed while playing battlefield 2 how people were able to see around corners simply because they had widescreen, and thus capable of seeing and shooting around someone viewing the game in 4:3. This makes your invention very exciting for gameplay, simply because most people don't even know their capability in such an environment, 180 degrees. very fun.

I have one question. Could you make optical illusions using multilayers of fiber and gas/fog, or special lenses inside the materials to enhance it? (such as a second projection method intermittently enhancing FOV 3D).

I'm just wondering if that thing is HiDef, and if you could make it HD?(mostly)

Thank you!

It is in HD, the fog/gas thing sounds cool and I'll consider it as a addon - if this thing gets off the ground! :-)
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

FlexibleFront
User

on Saturday, July, 26, 2008 3:10 AM
Hi there - long time no see!

Really cool news about the TR2N movie!

Please check out the World Premiere of jDome on Dreamhack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlJ1-RNKmVw
ASUS will sponsor the jDome-project with hardware!

FirstPrevious Page: of 2 Pages
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Games 
 Change FOV for TRON 2 to display on my invention?