TRON: LEGACY 
 TRON: Legacy - going to ruin a legacy?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
matthew180
User

on Monday, August, 24, 2009 10:12 PM
Everyone seems to be all excited about the new lightcycle trailer, but am I the only one who does not really like it?

Yes, *technically* it is very well done, but looks like it dripped off of a MAC desktop combined with some sort of dark plot. I'm so sick of "glassy" and "lickable" looking graphics I could puke. TRON, like the original Star Wars (episode IV), pushed the limit of special effects of the day to help tell a story. Today is seems that special effects *are* the story, and it is getting old. I think TRON and Star Wars are timeless and so good because they could not make the stuff perfect. There is a certain sense of realism about them that is lost in today's hyped-up special effect sensationalized crap.

They seem to have the "Lucas Syndrome" of doing it just because they can.

The computer graphics in TRON don't need to get any better, they were great back then and we're still trying to get *our* lightcycles to look as good as the movie. In the movie, the computer graphics *are* computer graphics - they are supposed to look unrealistic.

Also, computers are digital, hard ones and zeros, not smooth and organic. The whole smashing into each other on the lightcycles, turning the jet-wall on and off, is totally contrary to what makes a lightcycle a lightcycle. And the landscape... Sure it looks nice, but it is not a TRON landscape. I mean, come on, streets and lamp posts... in a computer world...

If the trailer is any indication of what the rest of the movie is going to be like, IMHO they are going to ruin the TRON legacy.

Just my two cents.

Matthew

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

Compucore
User

Re: TRON: Legacy - going to ruin a legacy?

on Monday, August, 24, 2009 10:33 PM
Consider this if you go back before tron. Computers were considered to be use for crunching numbers for the military, banks, and so on and so forth. And that was way before PC's and Macs were consider a typical appliance for the home. Most of those computers were using vacuum tubes and weighing in several tonnes. And several stories in a building consuming more wattage that I would hate to imagine compared to today's typical laptop or workstation.

Even today's high performance computing coming from manufactures like Cray's CX1 http://www.cray.com/Products/CX1.aspx are more powerful than those of years gone by for doing animation for tron.

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

TRON.dll
User

on Monday, August, 24, 2009 10:42 PM
I agree with matthew180. It really does seem like the plot for the new movie is rather shallow and poorly thought out (son looks for father. That's never been done), and that they're pushing special effects and the franchise itself as the main draw.

Oh god...

I just nearly explained Star Wars: Episode 1..

Jokes aside, I really wish that the new movie focused more on the metaphors of being inside a computer like the first movie, rather than just showing us how the computer world has evolved.

Will it kill the TRON franchise? Probably not. Will it be better than the original? probably not. Will it be a good movie? I think Kosinski is a pretty competent director. But will it blend? That is the question.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 1:20 AM
That trailer was only a proof of concept test footage trailer. I think it looked awesome and pretty kick ass.

But it's still only an early version of how things *could* look in the movie and is *not* and actual scene from the movie itself.

The digital world is in my view a microcosmic dimension that is virtually metaphysical, it's shaped by it's connection with, the thoughts, and perceptions the Users (as expressed/suggested in the graphic novel "Tron: Ghost in the Machine".)

27 years have passed, technology has advanced or been upgraded, and those who have interacted with that Digital World have learned more, or have grown older and usually wiser, and that's had an influence upon it, so it has evovled.
I don't think it would remain stangnant, static or unchanging.

There is going to be more to the story of Tron Legacy than just "a son's search for his father" just as Tron was about more than "a hacker searches for evidence that the games he created got plagerized."

I think it's still way way too early to jump on the "it will be an awful movie" speculation train just yet.
Steve Lisberger is very involved so I have confidence that he'll work with Konsinki closely and make sure the movie is pretty good.

Now if Lisberger all of sudden breaks off his invovlement then I'd worry.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 1:25 AM
I think the trailer looks great, slick graphics and all. It's a bit early to pass judgment on how well the plot will be executed. It's one thing to know the plot of a movie; quite another to see how it gets layed out. I could make a plot for a movie be, "The nice son of an angry man is the only hope for a world" and it sounds lame, but it could be Star Wars.

I have concerns over the amount of realism, too... and do kind've wish deep-down it looked more like the original Tron's style (with some imperfections and room left for imagination)... but at the same time, I'm a sucker for the beauty shown in the test reel. I find myself torn between two worlds.

If it's any consolation, we've only seen the concept reel and concept art, so there's a chance (albeit small) they won't go quite so slick and real everywhere.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to think of the 'realistic' stuff we're seeing, but then again, the original Tron had sunsets, motorcycle-looking things, tanks, frisbees, a hi-li (sp?) game, a Mickey Mouse head in one of the scenes, prison cells, a solar sailer, program emotions, etc.on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 1:41 AM
I have a tough time believing that just because the computer world has evolved, it has evolved in a way that makes it look like our reality. There are other creative ways to evolve the Tron world without mirroring our real world reality.

I think Lisberger comments in the Tron movie commentary that he feels something is lost with how present day computers are striving to make things look more and more realistic. The original Tron looks the way it does and gives the computer world a unique, other worldly look because computers couldn't mirror reality as well. Now that computers can mirror our reality well, I'm afraid that Tron Legacy's creativity will suffer a little as artists try to mirror our reality rather than invent creative solutions for a computer world.

It's easy to draw a realistic looking tree in the computer world and "Tron-ize" it by giving it circuit pattern glow effects. Quite another thing to invent a blocky, pixilated "blob" with circuit patterns to somehow represent what 'might be' construed as a tree. In the former, the viewer needs no imagination; it's spelled out for them and it looks pretty much like we see every day. In the latter, the viewer gets to use their imagination more and they might feel more like they're in a computer world.

We can "Tron-ize" anything by adding glow lines. I feel the key should be to invent computer world things and Tron-ize those; not simply Tron-ize everything we see in our reality.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 2:02 AM
I don't mind that things look a little more realistic. I do think that Kosinski and Lisberger will have things look like a mix of surrealistic aspects with some realistic aspects.

I don't think things will look completely realistic though.

Abstracts and surrealism are great, I like such things too, but if things look too surreal it may push away some audiences.

When I refer to "evolved" I'm refering to it in a relative way, in more metaphysical way, and not so much in the way of "evolved to be real" per se, but more that the thoughts, percpetions and interactions of a User influenceing that world to develop in the way it has developed and grown.

IF Flynn or another User (such as Sam) mind perceives a little bit more realism, that's going to be expressed by the Digital world and all that inhabit it.

Technological level of computer hardware and software gotten more advanced and/or upgraded so that's an major factor, the next major factor is the thoughts & perceptions of the User(s) within that world shaping things as well. where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 7:08 AM
I've never taken the computer world to ge looking "as perceived by the users." Instead, I've taken it to be as it exists if a user were to visit it and view it first-hand.abortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Tron 3.0
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 8:23 AM
sorry matthew, but you can't base your opinion solely on a test trailer. I hope that that your complaints on this film won't lead to another retarded Indiana Jones 4-type backlash with all the internet trolls and wannabe "true fans" screaming about how Disney "ruined their childhoods". I'll never hear the end of the undeserved Indy 4 bitching and I DON'T WANT TRON LEGACY SUFFERING THE SAME FATE DUE TO UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

"You won, ok? IT'S JUST A GAME!!!"

"...not anymore..."

THE GAME HAS CHANGED

Tron Legacy- In Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3-D December 17, 2010!!!!!!!!

PSN: halo101

isMetaClass
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 9:10 AM
Traahn Wrote:the original Tron had sunsets, motorcycle-looking things, tanks, frisbees, a hi-li (sp?) game, a Mickey Mouse head in one of the scenes, prison cells, a solar sailer, program emotions, etc.

and Pac-Man. it has Pac-Man.

order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Legion Of The Disney-raised, proud member

achilles
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 10:05 AM
hope they've tricked up a new ENCOM chopper. if not, massive fail.

tron_man_63304
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 10:23 AM
matthew180 Wrote:

The computer graphics in TRON don't need to get any better, they were great back then and we're still trying to get *our* lightcycles to look as good as the movie. In the movie, the computer graphics *are* computer graphics - they are supposed to look unrealistic.

Also, computers are digital, hard ones and zeros, not smooth and organic. The whole smashing into each other on the lightcycles, turning the jet-wall on and off, is totally contrary to what makes a lightcycle a lightcycle. And the landscape... Sure it looks nice, but it is not a TRON landscape. I mean, come on, streets and lamp posts... in a computer world...

not to argu but in the movie the tail on the LCs werent always on remember wen they left the grid

and computers are 1s and 0s but they form more complex programing

altho the lamp posts only over complicate things tron world shuold be moore like the original world

Back by Unpopular Demand.

Traahn
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 11:41 AM
isMetaClass Wrote:

and Pac-Man. it has Pac-Man.

Yes, but I didn't mention because it doesn't seem quite the same as the other stuff.

PS: Hopefully the MCP didn't appropriate him...
order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

matthew180
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 1:22 PM
Tron 3.0 Wrote:sorry matthew, but you can't base your opinion solely on a test trailer. I hope that that your complaints on this film won't lead to another retarded Indiana Jones 4-type backlash with all the internet trolls and wannabe "true fans" screaming about how Disney "ruined their childhoods". I'll never hear the end of the undeserved Indy 4 bitching and I DON'T WANT TRON LEGACY SUFFERING THE SAME FATE DUE TO UNGRATEFUL PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

I certainly can base an opinion on what I see. In case you missed it, I said *IF* in my post:

"If the trailer is any indication of what the rest of the movie is going to be like, IMHO they are going to ruin the TRON legacy."

And I hardly think my post here is going to cause any kind of "backlash" of the movie. You and about 10 other people in the world are the only ones reading it anyway. If the movie gets backlash then it is because of what the movie *is*, not what I or anyone else says. If you let those people ruin your enjoyment of a movie then that is your problem. Just because someone says a movie is crap, you don't have to agree and it does not change the movie one ounce. Who gives a crap what other people say about IJ4... if you like it, then that's great.

My point is that, based on what I see in the trailer, they are banking on GC and have little to no ties to the original. If that's the way they want it, then great, I hope they pull it off - I'd like nothing more than to put another TRON movie in my collection.

By the way, I'm glad you have determined that I am ungrateful based on a single post and expressing an opinion...

Matthew

How are you going to control the universe if you can't answer a few unsolvable problems?

matthew180
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 1:32 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:
Technological level of computer hardware and software gotten more advanced and/or upgraded so that's an major factor, the next major factor is the thoughts & perceptions of the User(s) within that world shaping things as well.

The problem is, actually, computers are just the same as they were when they were first invented in silicon. The only difference we have today is speed and density. Aside from that, they *work* exactly the same. A CPU still fetches, decodes, executes, and stores instruction and data in the same way. CD and DVD devices work exactly the same as they always have, hard drives are still a spinning disc of magnetic material. So from the perspective of a software program or insides of a computer, very little has actually changed, other than things getting more crowded.

The way a computer works has nothing to do with how we, as humans, live or use them - and based on the trailer I saw it seems like they are missing the point.

Matthew

ShadowDragon1
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 4:52 PM
I think Konsinski and Lisberger are not missing any point.

There's a metaphysical aspect involved that extends beyond just the technology.

Software is more complex, and yes hardware is faster and processes more instructions and data.

Both of those I consider a step up the techological evolutionary later.

In one of Flynn's recorded messages at the Flynn's lives website ( listen to all of them in this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4yW3fOrIV0 )quantum physics and Quantum computing and evolution of life from somewhere unexpected is hinted at.

If the Encom server was transfered/re-built/upgraded to a Quantum Computer, then I'd consider that another step up on the technological-evolutionary ladder.

I'm pretty sure Lisberger (the original creator & Director of Tron) will work closely with Kosinski so that Tron Legacy is a good movie with a good storyline.

Again. There's far to little shown or revealed about the movie to jump on the negativity wagon just yet. order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Jademz
User

on Tuesday, August, 25, 2009 6:58 PM
matthew180 Wrote:The problem is, actually, computers are just the same as they were when they were first invented in silicon. The only difference we have today is speed and density. Aside from that, they *work* exactly the same. A CPU still fetches, decodes, executes, and stores instruction and data in the same way. CD and DVD devices work exactly the same as they always have, hard drives are still a spinning disc of magnetic material. So from the perspective of a software program or insides of a computer, very little has actually changed, other than things getting more crowded.

The plot in Tron shows us the symbiotic relation with the beauty of the aesthetically simulated digital world, the ability for mankind to see their mistakes, and the art in making a thought from electronic mediums.

There's plenty to say about how integrated and mechanized futuretech is right now. It's completely evolved for Tron to drop in and say, "You think that's why they work the way they do?" It's up to you to get the motives in the way they want to show you, I'm sure it's going to look all 3D and fast, I would like it to match my expectations of the digital world I read here: http://203.13.16.1/tron/
The same plot played in today's art is a the very thing us fans have always wanted to see.

The game had a big influence on me, because my imagination ran wild thinking of how it might be, maybe this movie will add to that, hopefully a similar game will come out.

The way a computer works has nothing to do with how we, as humans, live or use them - and based on the trailer I saw it seems like they are missing the point.

Yes. that's the point where "it's not just a game". It's just a story that will be exciting for us to watch and create energy from how much computers think for us, how to establish a identity with something that is supposed to contain a living organisms synaptic responses and every tissue operating better inside than outside. There's alot of science involved, it's not just about your game rig.
order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Cueball
User

on Wednesday, August, 26, 2009 7:07 AM
Here are my 2 cents:

One of the biggest problems is the huge gap between when the movies were made.
Technology advanced too much in the meantime to give everything the 'old' look.
The same applies for me for the soundtrack. I really love the music from Wendy Carlos,
because it was ahead of its time when TRON came into the cinemas.
As much as i would love to hear a new soundtrack made by her, the music
has to be as new as the rest of the movie,
So i'm very curious what the new score from Daft Punk will be like.
I think it would have been different if the sequel was made just a few years after TRON.
Dont get me wrong, i love the atmosphere of 'TRON',
but i dont know if it would fit nowadays. Maybe a bit of a mix.
Since computers are so much more advanced now, the architecture inside should reflect that.
Not that i like everything (like the bridge), but so far i like the VFX test.
Well, we will see when the first real trailer is out,
in the meantime i'm looking forward for a TRON Blu-ray!

ShadowDragon1
User

on Wednesday, August, 26, 2009 3:26 PM
What I really like is that the concept artist Daniel Simon *seems to me* to be in part, very inspired by Syd Mead and I think that is reflective of his concept art for Tron Legacy.

There's seems to some Syd Mead-ish elements and many elements from alot of Syd's original Tron concept art that seems to have been incoperated into Tron Legacy's concept designs.

I'm confident that the movie will looks visually awesome and overall be a pretty good film due to all who's involved.

This is not some Uwe Boll shlock cash-in movie being spewed out now.

I think Lisberger will maintain great influence over things.

I also think that a person's expectations should be kept to resonable and more pragmatic levels, and not amplified into "if they don't make the movie exactly as I want and expect it to be; then I will declare it's crap."

I'd rather not wallow in purist standards, and inflated and unresonable wants and expectations. I think it'd be hard to enjoy any movie if I did that. where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

xalener
User

on Thursday, August, 27, 2009 12:14 AM
Traahn Wrote:I have a tough time believing that just because the computer world has evolved, it has evolved in a way that makes it look like our reality. There are other creative ways to evolve the Tron world without mirroring our real world reality.

It's not at all that far fetched when you think about the fact that the catalyst for the evolution is a REAL human being.

Also, like I said before.

Why are we all complaining about what Tron 1 was SUPPOSED to look like? The only reason why it doesn't look like this is because of the tech constraints at the time.

Alan: I was paged last night. Came from your dad's arcade
sam: So?
Alan: the number's been disconnected for 20 years!
Sam: THEN WHO WAS PAGER

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY