TRON: LEGACY 
 Personal opinion: Doesn't look good :(

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
digit
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 11:41 AM
Hate to rain on the parade, but it doesn't look good based on the test footage. Why are there clouds (cloud computing?) Jeff Bridges is too old. Since when can light cycles bang into each other? Why aren't the guys glowing? The scenery does not look very "computery" at all. Looks like a regular human city. I'll need to see "more", but it doesn't look like I will be bothering with this.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

ShadowDragon1
User

Re: Personal opinion: Doesn't look good :(

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 2:39 PM
1) There were a few scenes of faint energy clouds in the original movie and were a bit more prominent in the PC game Tron 2.0.

2) The existance of "clouds" in the digital world is like the existance of what appeared to be "water" in the first TRON, it's just energy, like free electrons, ions, quarks; it's not directly related to anything computing per se.

The Digital Cyber space realm is from my perspective is partially metaphysical, in part made up of abstract constructs within a digital medium, not to be taken completely as literal. It's a microcosmic dimension but it's also intrinsically (to a degree) surrealistic in nature.

3) THe VFX test footage is a very early "proof of concept", it is by no means the final VFX and is not a scene from the actual movie and is *not* accurately representative of the movie once it's production is finished which it won't be finished for another 14 months.

4) It's 28 yrs since the first Tron, according to what one can gather about the back story is that Flynn been trapped in the Digital Cyber World for 20 yrs. So of course he's going to look older. It's possible K.Flynn won't have a beard in the actual movie.

Here's is early test footage from "Where the Wild Things Are"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z46Yym346QA
and here is what the movie looks like in one of the official trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhfywi5Y8TM
As you can see in the first video, VFX and costumes look very very rough. In the official trailers, the finsihed film VFX and Max's costume looks excellent.

It's way way to early to write off Tron Legacy.
How about wait until the finished film is out before just dismissing it hm?order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Flynn316
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 3:09 PM
That's right. It's your personal opinion not everybody else who is excited for this movie.where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

This town is full of live ones!!

ShadowDragon1
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 3:56 PM
I and many others are very glad Steve Lisberger is involved and that Jeff Bridges is back as an older, wiser and more "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Kevin Flynn.

Many like myself that love the first movie and really enjoyed the PC game Tron 2.0 have waited 28 years for a new Tron film. If Steve Lisberger was not involved at all, and if Jeff wasn't in Tron Legacy, then I'd be far far more worried, and very apprehensive about the new movie.

I am gratefull to higher powers that Michael Bay or Uwe boll isn't making the new Tron movie and that this isn't some hap hazard low-budget direct to DVD sequel.

The OP has his opinion and it's fine to have one's own opinion.
Pardon me on this; but, I must say the OP's opinion is one that really lacks in having an solid basis in good information or a good understanding on the background info on the early concept footage and on the actual production of the new movie. abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Jademz
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 5:04 PM
digit Wrote:Hate to rain on the parade, but it doesn't look good based on the test footage.

I've been criticizing that since I saw it, I don't see the digital FX on anything, just glowlines.

And, I'm going to accept that maybe it's going to look like that, but way better according to what ShadowDragon stated in the forums, Joseph Kosinski said that he doesn't like people watching the test footage. The film looks better than the test.

Sorry, maybe you haven't been reading up in here, it's an honest mistake.

Why are there clouds (cloud computing?) Jeff Bridges is too old. Since when can light cycles bang into each other? Why aren't the guys glowing? The scenery does not look very "computery" at all. Looks like a regular human city. I'll need to see "more", but it doesn't look like I will be bothering with this.

It's ok to be skeptical, but you're preaching to the choir. I'm sure this is going to be a huge movie. Just wait for a real trailer to come out, and come back here and give your opinion.

Most of us are probably getting really impatient, but I'm happy that I can imagine the grid has evolved, and so on. Computers are much more intelligent today. So perhaps time will tell.

digit
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 7:30 PM
Flynn316 Wrote:That's right. It's your personal opinion not everybody else who is excited for this movie.

Hey, more power to yas. I'm not recommending others should avoid just because I do. It's just a simple fact that I avoid most rehashes (ie. dukes of hazard, miami vice, etc.)

It just looks to me like Flynn in Gotham city, or maybe underworld: tron. There's not a lot history here for them to grasp, just one previous movie. It would be nice if they followed some of the "reality" rules that the original movie laid down.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

ShadowDragon1
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 8:06 PM
Tron Legacy is a sequel by the way and not a re-hash.

( The following sumation is based on audio clips of Kevin Flynn on the Flynn Lives website, several interviews with original Tron director & writer Steve Lisberger, interviews with TL directer Jospeph Konsinki and Sean Bailey, the TL panel at San Diego Comic Con 2009 and the Tron & Tron Legacy presentation at the D23 Expo)

The digital cyber realm within the Encom system (possibly upgraded) has been isolated from the world wide internet, and has been set up as Flynn's experiment.

Think of these isolated Programs, as a sort of a form of life. like microbes in a petri dish, over the course of 20 yrs what happens within the pentri dish?
Growth, adaptation, i.e. evolution. Just as a Cold and Flu viruses that grow, adapt, i.e "evolve."
This is what has happened in the isolated Encom System, growth, adaptation ; evolution of a sort.

Sorry, that system is not going to be stuck in time and be unchanging or looking exactly the same for 20 yrs.

Especially not with Flynn's presense subtley influensing (either directly or inadvertantly) a consciencous human mind exsisting in that world.. so there was probably some influence on the development of that digital society. (perhaps a kind of inadvertent "Promethius" figure)

These little digital beings of energy have grown, adapted and evolved. (kind of like like microbes in a isolated petri dish)
They've developed there own society/civilization. This is *not* "Tron UnderWorld" or "Tron Gotham City" or some such non-sense.

It's far far to early to dismiss Tron Legacy as being "awful" or "unwatchable". since very little has been shown or reveled about it (what has been shown is very early concept work btw. Joe Konsinki even has said what being done now blows away that early concept footage).

So I think it would be better to wait until the movie is finished in my opinion before judging it.order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

digit
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 10:51 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote:Tron Legacy is a sequel by the way and not a re-hash.

In the way of the storyline maybe it is, but anytime a move is released some 20+ years later it is generally regarded as a rehash. Having said that, a rehash is not doomed to be bad just because it is a rehash. I tend to avoid them just because they almost always fail to recapture the flavor of the ancestor.

Sorry, that system is not going to be stuck in time and be unchanging or looking exactly the same for 20 yrs.

I really don't expect it to be the same, but every "world" has laws of reality that do not change. Light cycles do not bang into each other. Nor would there be any reason for them to do so since it would be just as dangerous to the banger as the bangee. I see this as typically hollywood BS, turning what should be light cycle racing into the obligatory "high speed car chase" that every other modern movie has.

It's far far to early to dismiss Tron Legacy as being "awful" or "unwatchable". since very little has been shown or reveled about it (what has been shown is very early concept work btw. Joe Konsinki even has said what being done now blows away that early concept footage).

So I think it would be better to wait until the movie is finished in my opinion before judging it.

I agree with that, and I'm keeping an open mind about it. But it's not a good sign when a 60 second clip is finding multiple ways to irk me. Multiply that by 2 hours and it could get ugly. I'm not a big movie person as it is. There's little chance of me ever seeing it if it doesn't seem to me to be very well done.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

Cyberwolven
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 11:31 PM
digit Wrote:Hate to rain on the parade, but it doesn't look good based on the test footage. Why are there clouds (cloud computing?) Jeff Bridges is too old. Since when can light cycles bang into each other? Why aren't the guys glowing? The scenery does not look very "computery" at all. Looks like a regular human city. I'll need to see "more", but it doesn't look like I will be bothering with this.

*Every question in your concerns can be answered (such as Lightcycles not going only in 90 degrees. They had plenty degrees of freedom in the first movie), but here's a general all-around answer.*

Ha!:P Well, try not to take concept tests serious. These tests are really meant for, well, testing purposes. Don't forget this same thing happened when they were barely getting started with the original Tron movie. They needed some kind of test footage to see if they could possibly have the resources and ability to make a movie. After they built this very early concept of the movie, they took it to Disney to show it to them and see if they would possibly be interested in funding the studio's creation of the movie.

When Disney watched that test footage, it turned out they hated it and were reluctant to help the small studio make a movie. Luckily after a little more time and work they were able to convince Disney to help fund the movie and make the vfx milestone we know today.
order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

I'm cold and calculating. Don't press my buttons.

digit
User

on Friday, October, 02, 2009 11:49 PM
Jademz Wrote:
digit Wrote:Hate to rain on the parade, but it doesn't look good based on the test footage.

I've been criticizing that since I saw it, I don't see the digital FX on anything, just glowlines.

And, I'm going to accept that maybe it's going to look like that, but way better according to what ShadowDragon stated in the forums, Joseph Kosinski said that he doesn't like people watching the test footage. The film looks better than the test.

I'm not particularly concerned about the special effects. A movie or TV show can be great without them, and indeed too much special effects could give the feel that you are watching something other a tron-based movie.

I think the outfits that they are wearing are a bit disappointing (black?), but that's a secondary concern. My biggest concern is always character credibility. It isn't, for example, believable to have a 70 year-old Indiana Jones acting just like he did when he was a 30 year-old I.J. Same goes for Jeff Bridges, Sylvester Stallone, or anybody else. Now, maybe JB won't play an "action" role in the film, but if he does that might kill the movie right then and there.

Sorry, maybe you haven't been reading up in here, it's an honest mistake.

No, I'm not what you would consider to be a regular. I check in every once in a blue moon just to see what news is coming out about the film. This is a great site with a friendly crowd to hang with.

Why are there clouds (cloud computing?) Jeff Bridges is too old. Since when can light cycles bang into each other? Why aren't the guys glowing? The scenery does not look very "computery" at all. Looks like a regular human city. I'll need to see "more", but it doesn't look like I will be bothering with this.

It's ok to be skeptical, but you're preaching to the choir. I'm sure this is going to be a huge movie. Just wait for a real trailer to come out, and come back here and give your opinion.

I'm hoping this is good. Everything nowadays is low quality rehashes like the A-team and whatnot. There's virtually no new concepts. I guess that doesn't bother the youth because they weren't around when smash-hit concepts like star wars and tron exploded onto the scene. I think I would rather have a new concept fail than a "bad" tron or star trek movie. In fact, I'm sure of it.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

Traahn
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 1:31 AM
I think it'd be cool to go this route some day, though -- in another Tron sequel or remake.

Just because our real world looks different after 20 years and computers are incredibly faster after 20 years, I don't feel the Tron universe necessarily needs to morph or evolve. It's not an "If A (our world evolves) then B (the computer world needs to evolve)" situation. The decision to evolve the computer world is an artistic one. Yes, it makes sense 'in the reality we know' that the computer world should evolve. Yes, it'll be cool to see what Kosinski does with it, and yes it was cool in the test reel.

I'm just saying it's mostly an artistic decision to make the computer world evolve. Theoretically speaking, I could make my own Tron Legacy movie and keep the visuals the same as the original , yet have it be 20 years later in the real world -- and have it make sense that the computer world doesn't look any different than it did 20 years earlier.

PS: Digit, sorry to hear you're not really interested or impressed by the test reel. Hopefully the movie will exceed your expectations and be good; so much so that you dig it.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

ShadowDragon1
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 2:58 AM
As much as I love original movie. I would be far less interested, unimpressed, and have little enthusiasm about watching a new Tron movie that had visuals that were exactly the same as the original Tron movie, having the static constraints of the original movie.

To me it would be kind of boring, sort of stiff, and stangnant looking to me. Like looking at a relic.
Yeah, it may be a very nice looking relic, just as a hand made abbaccus may look very nice and fuction well as means for doing addition and subtraction math, but it's not a gaming PC.

While that specific visual look of Tron fits the original Tron.. IMO it doesn't quite "fit" nowadays.

While I do love the visual style of the original Tron and Tron 2.0.
IMO it's not exactly quite as visually impressive or stunning in current context of today's top sci-fi films.

I know Tron purists would like things to stay the same and not change, it's just doesn't quite fit IMO...

My only wish is that the concept/FX artist incorperate some circuitry pattern prints on to the characters.
That's the main thing I'd like to see.
Everything else to me makes rational and relative sense in terms of visuals, the cosmology of Tron/Tron Legacy Universe, and it's back story.

digit
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 12:01 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote: As much as I love original movie. I would be far less interested, unimpressed, and have little enthusiasm about watching a new Tron movie that had visuals that were exactly the same as the original Tron movie, having the static constraints of the original movie.

To me it would be kind of boring, sort of stiff, and stangnant looking to me. Like looking at a relic.
Yeah, it may be a very nice looking relic, just as a hand made abbaccus may look very nice and fuction well as means for doing addition and subtraction math, but it's not a gaming PC.

While that specific visual look of Tron fits the original Tron.. IMO it doesn't quite "fit" nowadays.

IMO it's not exactly quite as visually impressive or stunning in current context of today's top sci-fi films.

I know Tron purists would like things to stay the same and not change, it's just doesn't quite fit IMO...

My only wish is that the concept/FX artist incorperate some circuitry pattern prints on to the characters.
Everything else to me makes rational and relative sense in terms of visuals, the cosmology of Tron/Tron Legacy Universe, and it's back story.

I am concerned that they are going to turn this into something other than a TRON movie. This would not be an unprecedented move; they may be taking notes from the recent Star Trek movie, which was reportedly trying hard to be untrek-like and did generate a ton of revenue. If that happens, I think we will all be very disappointed. TRON was more than just an action-thriller.

I actually didn't see star trek; I've become rather disinterested in Trek as of late. I've been more interested in various "other" classic sci-fi franchises (godizilla, battlestar galactica, V, etc.) abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

ShadowDragon1
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 1:10 PM
With Steve Lisberger the writer and director of the original TRON as Producer on Tron Legacy, he's impressing his guidance and wisdom to Joseph Kosinski and Sean Bailey.

Everything that I've gone over based which is based on what has been hinted at, aluded to, or touched upon by Lisberger, Joe and Sean, seem to imply to me that Tron Legacy is very much a TRON movie and is more than just an action-triller.

How many action thrillers deal with Homer-esque themes, aspects of ancient Greek lore, touches upon subjects such as self-aware A.I. life forms and how they could grow, adapt i.e. "evolve"?
Tron Legacy appears to me that it touches upon all of those in-part. Not many if any "action thrillers" touch upon those subjects.

This is not going to be some haphazard thing.
and FYI J.J. Abrams Star Trek was actually pretty good IMO. Many avid, long time sci-fi fans liked it, some here at Tron Sector even really liked it if I remember correctly.
Sure, some things were a bit over-the-top. But it wasn't a bad movie at all IMO. abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

digit
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 2:40 PM
ShadowDragon1 Wrote: As much as I love original movie. I would be far less interested, unimpressed, and have little enthusiasm about watching a new Tron movie that had visuals that were exactly the same as the original Tron movie, having the static constraints of the original movie.

I might have to prowl around and see if the old automan episodes are being sold. Now that was a dude with some serious circuitry patterns abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

TRON.dll
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 3:40 PM

I personally think it would be really cool to have a digital world flashback where they actually constrain themselves to the same technology they used when they made the original film. It would look pretty awesome on your resume to say that you produced a scene in a recent movie on 28 year old technology.

Lies. I play Crysis on my abacus all the time. That thing is beastly.

It's the visual style that really defines the franchise, though. Make it too realistic, and it just becomes more of the same. This is the issue I have with a lot of movies that have recently come out. They are all very similar. If it's a CGI movie, it's almost always cartoony. If it's live action, it's almost always a romantic comedy or emotional film. You get the idea. How many movies out there look like TRON? There really aren't too many, which gives TRON's art style a feeling of originality.

I really don't think they should stray too far from the defined visual style of TRON. It just wouldn't look right.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Cyberwolven
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 5:15 PM
Hey, no dissing Star Trek. :[ *Has family member that's Star Trek Fan since the original series* the last time I remember the resent Star Trek movie is absolutely fantastic. :[

This footage is so old it doesn't even compare to the real deal. It’s testing material, it’s meant for the studios have something to temporally work with in the earliest stages of preproduction. Technically we shouldn’t (emphasis on shouldn’t)even be allowed to look at any of this due to the fact the movie far from being finished( ! ).

It's like watching a four year old test footage of Toy Story before it even comes out and assuming the movie is going to consist of blocky unfinished models, storyboards, character designs, and filler music.

Like I said earlier, when Disney first saw that test footage for the first Tron movie they hated it, but that wasn’t a legit excuse for them to assume the movie was going to be bad.

*needs caffeine*
where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

digit
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 5:30 PM
Cyberwolven Wrote:Hey, no dissing Star Trek. :[ *Has family member that's Star Trek Fan since the original series* the last time I remember the resent Star Trek movie is absolutely fantastic. :[

Well, I like Star Trek for some 30 years and never said the movie wasn't good. It's just that it was apparently aiming at a different type of viewer than the typical long-time trekkie. And it did connect with said group. Most of the negative viewpoints I have seen on it were from long-time trek fans (as opposed to casual movie goers.) I don't know if that means I wouldn't like it or not. Doesn't really matter just because I'm kind of trekked out right now and have been for quite a while.

REQUEST STATUS REPORT
ON MISSING DATA

ShadowDragon1
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 9:37 PM
I am fairly confident that Tron Legacy's story and visual look will be pretty kick ass overall once it's released.

Cyberwolven
User

on Saturday, October, 03, 2009 11:15 PM
digit Wrote:
Well, I like Star Trek for some 30 years and never said the movie wasn't good. It's just that it was apparently aiming at a different type of viewer than the typical long-time trekkie. And it did connect with said group. Most of the negative viewpoints I have seen on it were from long-time trek fans (as opposed to casual movie goers.) I don't know if that means I wouldn't like it or not. Doesn't really matter just because I'm kind of trekked out right now and have been for quite a while.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm glad I'm only one that likes Star Trek. Feel free to join in some of the other conversations on Tron Sector if you get time.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY