Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 Other Games 
 Tron 2.0 continuity issues with new movie?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
BountyHunter
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 5:14 PM
I haven't played the game, but was thinking of picking it (and the comic series up) in light of the new movie coming out.

I was just wondering if the storyline from 2.0 and the comic series are still going to be considered in continuity with the films once Legacy comes out. Anyone know?

ShadowDragon1
User

Re: Tron 2.0 continuity issues with new movie?

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 5:18 PM
The director Joseph Kosinski has said that he doesn't consider Tron 2.0 "canon".

Which is ironic since Tron Legacy shares a bare-bones *thematic*/story elements that do show some minor simularities.

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

BountyHunter
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 5:32 PM
SO the director doesn't consider it canon, but does that really mean it isn't? If they end up not contradicting each other...

Guess I'll have to wait and see the movie. lolwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

TRON.dll
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 6:14 PM
BountyHunter Wrote:SO the director doesn't consider it canon, but does that really mean it isn't? If they end up not contradicting each other...

Guess I'll have to wait and see the movie. lol

I have seen several contradictions that I will try to remember later.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

DaveTRON
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 8:38 PM
Sad though it may be, it appears our little game is going to be left behind by Disney.

It's a shame, because I think Mercury is a worthy character to keep in the timeline.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

DaveTRON

KiaPurity
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 8:51 PM
Me too. I really like the game a lot!

It just bums me out because I thought it was a pretty solid piece in the entire Tron mythos.

Kia: Cool. I'm a infamous mythological perfect User.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 9:33 PM
Alternate universes (real world and Cyberspace Universes) Are certainaly possible.

Different models of advanced quantum computers designed and built by Encom could each have it's own version of a "cyberspace realm."

Since I view these realms as partly metaphysical on a microcosmic and nanocosmic level, and not as literal physical objects (as in one can't use a microscope and see little Program people walking around on a motherboard "physically." It's like a digital "Astral Plane" in a sense in my view. It's not visible to the naked human eye, mind or current scietific equipment. It's more elusive and invisible to being percieved (when not IN that realm) than dark energy and dark matter is.

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Compucore
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 9:41 PM
Same here you figured that the game would be a part of it in the timeline itself. And remembering when they casted mercury. You figure they would have maybe included her in it somewhere too. Or at least mentioned it in the timeline.

where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

2 Legit 2 quit

End of line

Compucore

VROOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!

To compute or not to compute that is the question at hand. Tis nobler to compile in C++ or in TASM.

VRAM
User

on Saturday, March, 13, 2010 11:51 PM
As I posted elsewhere in these forums, and although I'm aware of Mr. Kosinski's 'declaration', I've yet to find a 'major retcon' of any events that happened in the TRON 2.0 video game.

As most of you know, I've compiled every little TRON universe tidbit in my 'Completely Unofficial Tron Timeline/Chronology' and to this day, I haven't found a major deliberate changing of previously established facts in the story that will be told in TRON Legacy.

In fact, as KiaPurity and ShadowDragon have stated, there are so many 'parallels' between the video game and the sequel that one could even say that TRON Legacy 'takes' from TRON 2.0! The sequel title is but one example, let alone the 'mysterious dissapearance' of a key character, etc...

The 'minor' retcons I do have found (inside Flynn Lives ARG viral sites mainly) add or slightly alter some dates and/or minor events but doesn't remove or subtract important TRON 2.0 material.

Rest assured that most of what happened in TRON 2.0 was "real" and is part of the 'official TRON continuity'.

I guess many TRON fans doesn't quite understand 'retroactive continuity' so I may be preparing a dedicated thread where we can discuss 'canonical TRON content' and retconning.where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

You need to check out the COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL TRON TIMELINE!
Meanwhile in the real world... the controller feeds the shift clock to the VRAM's video port. Each shift clock pulse causes the VRAM to deliver the next datum, in strict address order, from the shift-register to the video port... Next frame-buffer data: Who created users?

BountyHunter
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 11:52 AM
So..um...how exactly do you work that timeline thingy? lol

Traahn
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 2:40 PM
I was trying to avoid saying my theory on something in particular, but here goes... possible spoiler:

SPOILER... Mouse Over To Read:
You know how there's a Flynn Lives group, where they talk about Flynn sightings? Well, I theorize that Flynn is possibly fading in and out of the world we know here, by way of a quantum physics. He currently lives on a quantum plane of some sort.

I think the sightings are real, but because Flynn is at a quantum level, it's only for a brief moment. He is gone just as quickly as he arrived; or his appearance in our realm is surreal enough that people are sure they spotted him, but can't quite prove it or get evidence of it.

His brief and periodic appearances are enough to convince people he is still alive.

That's my thought anyways. Guess we'll have to see what happens in Tron: Evolution or Tron Legacy to find out.

I was already a bit sad to find out TL was probably going the quantum computing route, since I wanted to make my own Tron story along these routes long before TL was announced. Since that cat is out of the bag, I figure I'll give my Flynn theory... since it's based on quantum.

I'm getting out of here right now, and you guys are invited. -----^

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 4:11 PM

I kind of understand that the writers on the sequel don't want to be shackled by the stories that came before. But as long as previous story ideas don't conflict adversely with what you want to write: why not at least try to make what you're writing, fit with previous continuity?

Now, we haven't seen the film yet. So we can't honestly state with certainty how much of the film's story conflicts with Tron 2.0.

But at least one thing seems clear at this point. The film is ignoring the fact that digitization technology was lost for at least a decade, and Alan rediscovered it through Ma3a. According to what we've seen from the film, Flynn digitized himself back into the computer only a few years later.

It would have been simple to reconcile the film with the game's story. Just delay Flynn returning into the computer world for a few years. Then the whole "Alan rediscovers digitization" storyline could have been left intact. But no, they had to go and abandon that. I thought the whole story of what Alan (and Jet) had done in the meantime during all these years, was a good one.

It could also explain why Flynn didn't immediately go back into the computer . . . it's because he couldn't.

As much as everyone sneers at George Lucas these days, I'll give him one thing. He's tried his best to keep the Star Wars expanded universe and continuity from becoming a mess. He has people constantly checking new stories against existing continuity, to try and make sure everything falls in place. (Of course, then Lucas had to go and retroactively mess with his own continuity in the prequels. )

And even though I'm pretty sure Lurkinghorror also wasn't too happy about being burdened with making his story fit with an earlier one: I appreciated the fact that the Tron comic respected the established continuity of Tron 2.0.

I wish Disney would take more care with the Tron universe than they currently seem to. But who knows, maybe that's slowly going to change.

P.S. Again, I don't know why this isn't posted in the Tron 2.0 section?

abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

Traahn
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 5:00 PM
I'll admit, I don't remember the Tron 2.0 story very well. I remember it being good, but I always considered it its own standalone separate story based on the movie, but not one that I wanted to become Tron canon in terms of future movies and stories. I enjoyed it, but remember wishing it were different.

I can't remember what happened to Flynn in Tron 2.0... but I remember always being bummed that he wasn't in it and I think was only referenced in emails. And was bummed that Alan's character seemed a bit naive and flighty, and that he didn't think highly of Flynn; even though Flynn, Laura and Alan were friends at the end of the film and Flynn surely had nice stories to tell of being inside the computer (assuming he remembered the experience). In Tron 2.0's intro, Alan tells Jet he doesn't want him to become like Flynn... pretty much disrespecting and dismissing the fact that Flynn invented some of the most popular games of the time, went into a computer world where he helped destroy the MCP, and then became head (or near head) of Encom. How is that such a bad role-model?

I would've wanted to see Laura come back to life in the real world in Tron 2.0. I felt the story was trying to say, or could've been construed to say, that she got beamed into the computer world and became Ma3a (Jet's "mama"). I wanted her to get rescued out of the computer at the end, so she could re-unite with Alan and Jet so they could be a happy family.

I like TL going the route of Flynn having a secret lab, and getting beamed into the computer and his son coming to help. I wonder who Flynn's wife or significant other is, who he had Sam with, or if that will be explained? I like that Alan seems to respect Flynn now.

I loved Tron 2.0, and the story was good and entertaining. Just not 100% what I was looking for in a sequel; so I like that it's a one-off story. I'm hoping TL's story is one I more gladly embrace as canon; which future games, comics, films, books and TV shows can leverage to have their side sagas, like Star Wars.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

VRAM
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 7:49 PM
TronFAQ Wrote:

P.S. Again, I don't know why this isn't posted in the Tron 2.0 section?

OFF-TOPIC: My suggestion here TronFAQ is that there shouldn't exist anymore a general 'TRON 2.0' section and another 'less important' one called Games:Other but a 'general' forum for all things related to TRON games and video games, wheather it's PC, console, handheld, etc. and under that one should go TRON 2.0, of course...

By the way, what's happening with the General Discussion forum??? I'm getting errors since yesterday and I can't access my Completely Unofficial TRON Universe Chronology!!!

Traahn Wrote:

I loved Tron 2.0, and the story was good and entertaining. Just not 100% what I was looking for in a sequel; so I like that it's a one-off story. I'm hoping TL's story is one I more gladly embrace as canon; which future games, comics, films, books and TV shows can leverage to have their side sagas, like Star Wars.

TRON 2.0's NOT a direct TRON sequel but in fact one of those side sagas you wish existed... the 'side saga' of one person named Jethro Eugene Bradley... I'm sorry it wasn't the most awesome TRON story told in a TRON-related video game for you. IT WAS TO ME.
on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Meanwhile in the real world... the controller feeds the shift clock to the VRAM's video port. Each shift clock pulse causes the VRAM to deliver the next datum, in strict address order, from the shift-register to the video port... Next frame-buffer data: Who created users?

Traahn
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 8:24 PM
Well, not entirely true -- from the old, pre-Tron Legacy Disney marketing perspective.

I remember Tron 2.0 was being treated as the film's sequel. (Probably because they figured the thought of ever doing a new Tron film was next to nil.). I remember various write-ups and previews/reviews saying it was being treated as the film's sequel, and even http://buenavistagames.go.com/product/tronPC.html still markets it this way. It might not be as clear here as it was talked about 7-8 years ago, but I feel it's pretty close here:

Tron is the present-day video game sequel to the 1982 cult film classic that was a landmark of computerized graphical ingenuity. TRON® 2.0, is a story-driven, first-person action game that propels the player into an alternate universe inside a computer. As Jet Bradley (son of the original films hero Alan Bradley) you will combat digital opponents using guns, rods, grenades, missiles, and the iconic TRON disc. Combining the best of the genre with a truly innovative look and breakthrough game play, TRON® 2.0 delivers an adventure unlike any other. It takes PC gaming to a new level with intense action, intense and deadly battles, and high-speed light cycle races.

I'm not the only one who remembers Tron 2.0 being called the sequel, as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_2.0 touts it that way, as well:
Tron 2.0 is a first person shooter computer game developed by Monolith Productions. It is a sequel to the 1982 motion picture Tron.

Nobody would've rightfully treated it as a side saga until Tron Legacy info came out, because everyone was TOLD it was the sequel. Thus, my mild concerns while playing the game. IM glaD it wAS the BEST for yoU. As a game and a side saga, I'm totally okay with the story being told as it was. Being treated as the original film's sequel, however, where we were basically being told this new game would become canon, I had some concerns and moments of, "Well, that's a bummer Alan doesn't have a spine and holds resentment against Flynn, etc."

Try not to take too much offense that I enjoyed the story 2% less than you... it's not that big of deal. If I like Tron Legacy 2% more than you, I won't be upset enough about it to toss CAPS LOCK at you when you mention a few critiques that I disagree with.

I prefer the way Alan is being presented in the Tron Legacy trailer where he seems to have more of a spine, and his voice and demeanor commands a little more respect.

VRAM
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 8:44 PM
Yeah, technically speaking, it's a sequel... What I meant is that it's not a direct TRON sequel storywise.

For example...

Traahn Wrote:...

I can't remember what happened to Flynn in Tron 2.0... but I remember always being bummed that he wasn't in it and I think was only referenced in emails. And was bummed that Alan's character seemed a bit naive and flighty, and that he didn't think highly of Flynn; even though Flynn, Laura and Alan were friends at the end of the film and Flynn surely had nice stories to tell of being inside the computer (assuming he remembered the experience). In Tron 2.0's intro, Alan tells Jet he doesn't want him to become like Flynn... pretty much disrespecting and dismissing the fact that Flynn invented some of the most popular games of the time, went into a computer world where he helped destroy the MCP, and then became head (or near head) of Encom. How is that such a bad role-model?

Here you express you kinda missed your beloved 'key' TRON characters and longed they had seen some 'action' again (by the way, it's not 'Laura' but 'Lora'), but that's precisely what I loved about TRON 2.0!!! The TRON universe finally got expanded!!! New 'key' characters were introduced!!! And shocking and unexpected things happened during all those years like Flynn resigning from ENCOM or Lora's accidental death!!! No happy endings but lots of real life events in it!!!

Traahn
User

on Sunday, March, 14, 2010 8:55 PM
I still don't think Lora died, but that's just me. I think she's just stuck in the computer as Ma3a. (Which is maybe not too dissimilar of how Flynn is stuck in the computer in Tron Legacy and nobody knows where he went. Did Tron 2.0 ever explain how she died, or is she just curiously, "gone"?) I wonder if the original writer(s) of Tron 2.0 had planned for her to come back.

Storywise, how is it not a direct sequel?

Thanks for the spelling. I knew Laura didn't look right; can't believe it escaped me for a moment.abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

Green Tank Commander
User

on Tuesday, March, 30, 2010 11:28 AM
Traahn Wrote:I still don't think Lora died, but that's just me. I think she's just stuck in the computer as Ma3a. (Which is maybe not too dissimilar of how Flynn is stuck in the computer in Tron Legacy and nobody knows where he went. Did Tron 2.0 ever explain how she died, or is she just curiously, "gone"?) I wonder if the original writer(s) of Tron 2.0 had planned for her to come back.

It's been awhile since I read the Tron "Ghost in the Machine" series but wasn't there some reference to Lora being Ma3a? Maybe I'm just imaging that, and I'm remembering that Flynn was mentioned in the e-mails in , wasn't he missing? maybe he was in the digital world that whole time.

-------------------------------------------------------
"Range 9. Mark, 45. 48 degrees...Hold it...Hold it. FIRE!"

Flynn should never have written all those tank programs.

on Tuesday, September, 28, 2010 4:20 PM
Hasn't it been established that...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

A
H
E
A
D

(heh...didn't know how to do the spoiler black-out section)

the digital world that Kevin Flynn is trapped in is one of his own making? If so, we could assume that it's his own personal server, separate from the digital world we saw in the original TRON or TRON 2.0.

Also, the fate of Kevin Flynn, as I recall, was left rather vague in TRON 2.0. It was established that he stepped down from his position at ENCOM, but after that, not much more is known. Certainly the dates could be fudged enough to make the events of TRON 2.0 fit with TRON Legacy, and the look and feel of Flynn's digital world could be as different as it appears to be while Encom's original server could look the way it looked in TRON 2.0.

I would say the only major discrepancy that would need to be dealt with is the status of Lora Bradley. I don't believe we'll be seeing her in TRON Legacy or even hear about her from Alan, but even the idea of Ma3a being bonded with Lora's DNA could be fudged around enough so it wouldn't be an obstacle to making TRON 2.0 canon.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Tuesday, September, 28, 2010 8:34 PM
Um have you been following the Flynn Lives alternate reality game/viral marketing?

Lora was at the Encom Press Conference event....
here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI2Q0_MECIsabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 Other Games