Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Nice Article: Can Someone Explain How Tron Was Worse Than Avatar?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
jonwes
User

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 8:08 PM
I thought this article was pretty on-the-nose, though I quite liked Avatar too.

Can Someone Explain How Tron Was Worse Than Avatar? - Best Week Everwhere to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Discuss it on tron-sector.com here.

bitmap74
User

RE: Nice Article: Can Someone Explain How Tron Was Worse Than Avatar?

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 8:30 PM
Avatar was a success because of James Cameron and the special effects. Basically Avatar was Dancing with Na'Vi. I saw it and was not all that impressed with the film.

ShadowDragon1
User

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 9:23 PM
I enjoyed AVATAR, but I think Tron Legacy has a better storyline, and a much more original world and it's mythological basis is well incoperated into the film.

Avatar was pretty much "Dances with 10 ft tall blue Thunder Cats vs Mech Warriors"... order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online http://www.kvicksundscupen.se/template/default.aspx?abortion-questions cytotec abortion

"The film is about finding human connection in an increasingly digital world." - Joseph Kosinski

Noctua
User

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 9:59 PM
Tron Unit Wrote:F*** Avatar.

This.
Sure, the graphics were nice, but it has nothing on Tron!

Sub-Odeon
User

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 10:06 PM
All I have to say is, I saw Avatar once in the theater, and did not go back to see it again.

I have seen TRON Legacy twice in the theaters, and may go back for a third helping.

Also, I have not rushed to get Avatar on DVD, nor do I feel the need to any time soon.

My wife has already promised to buy me the TRON Legacy DVD when it comes out.

Oh, and Avatar's plot was preachy, derivative, and annoying. I hoped we'd never had to go back to Pandora again.

TRON Legacy's plot was interesting, tantalizing, and left me hoping for a threequel.

IsoLine
User

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 10:57 PM
I was late to see Avatar in its initial run. Why? Because I succumbed to peer pressure to see it. I had a notion that it was going to be basically a special effects masterpeice with a pamphlets worth of plot and a recycled and cliched "natives VS. big corp interlopers" sentiment.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pillabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"Word to the Motherboard!" - IsoLine

IMAGinES
User

on Monday, January, 10, 2011 11:03 PM
I think the reason for the disparity between Tron: Legacy and Avatar is mainly due to the arcs of their leads. You might see the beats coming a mile off and you might cringe at the message behind them, but Sam Worthington played the development of and change and conflict in Jake Sully in Avatar strongly and honestly.

We saw him go from cynical ex-Marine on Pandora to get his legs back to warrior for something bigger than himself that he believed in, and we saw it through his actions. He makes a couple of clear-cut choices, one which he regrets - selling Home Tree out to the company - and one he doesn't - to bring the tribes of Na'vi together and stand with them against his own kind, no matter what.

Even if we didn't like the message, Cameron and Worthington communicated it to us well. Admittedly, they had an extra hour to do it in, but still.

In comparison, Sam Flynn's character arc in Tron Legacy is a little harder to pin down. He also starts off as a cynic, abandoned by his father as a boy and abandoning his father's legacy in return. He meets his dad, tries to get him out of the Grid and... well, while he gets more daring and loyal to his friends, he doesn't really develop. He's all about escaping the Grid, ideally with his father, and while you can argue that right at the end he chose to leave the Grid without Dad, we don't get to see him act on that choice in a way that makes us believe he's got what it takes to change Encom’s direction and use its resources to bring about a new era.

In fact, it's hard not to argue that the guy who's meant to be the supporting character, his father Kevin, has the stronger character arc. We meet him having abandoned any sort of goal, even having abandoned the people he created to Clu's tender mercies. His son shows up, he does nothing. Then when Sam forces his hand, he makes the choice to help his son escape and acts on it, saving Sam at the End of Line Club – then, at the end, he makes another choice, to sacrifice himself to save Sam and Quorra and let them change the world.

I guess my point is, Avatar knew what it was about and delivered on it. Heck, I've seen Avatar once, and while I loved it, I didn't feel the need to see it again; I felt like I'd come out with everything it had tried to communicate to me. Tron Legacy might be a visual equal to Avatar, but in terms of telling a story, it was a little weaker. In fact, the main reason why I enjoyed seeing it a second time so much was because I felt as though I'd got a better handle on what was going on than I had after watching it once.
And in a medium of telling stories, a medium of communication, a story that doesn’t communicate, that isn’t told as well as another isn’t going to rate as good. 49% to 83%? Maybe that’s a bit extreme. But I’d still expect some disparity.

Fortune Favour You,

IMAGinES

Imbroglio
User

on Tuesday, January, 11, 2011 2:39 AM
The only way to explain the success of Avatar is THE ASCH PARADIGM. It is the same reason that such shows as american idiot and dancing with the has beens are "popular".
order abortion pill morning after pill price where to buy abortion pill

KASxxWill
User

on Tuesday, January, 11, 2011 4:14 AM
Great article, and great arguement. I can see why more critics prefer Avatar though, I liked Avatar, I feel that even though a large portion of why I like it was because of the special effects, the story wasn't too original, but wasn't too boring. The movie dragged out a bit but it wasn't anything too amazing or too boring.

It's my girlfriends new favorite movie, and I'm glad she liked it, it isn't often she gets into Sci-Fi's... however she hated TRON: Legacy, same goes for a lot of my friends too, they prefer Avatar over TRON: Legacy. I think it goes without saying though, that Avatar was a bit more entertaining because it was balanced. Avatar wasn't all talk and no action, TRON: Legacy, my biggest complaint from most people that I hear (not read), is it's boring... not enough action.

So I think it's just that fact that people can't appreciate a good movie, and it's hard for people to appreciate one when it's semi-complicated. The original TRON didn't receive much praise or as much as I feel it should have, and it certainly isn't today...

jonwes
User

on Tuesday, January, 11, 2011 5:29 AM
RustyMuffler Wrote:Wow. Come on, guys. Do we seriously need to continue this one movie versus the other horseshit? It's so tired and completely feeding in to the fanboy stereotype.

Did you actually bother to read the article?

Anyway, I think some of the other comments on here are interesting and certainly the sort of discussion I was hoping to generate.

I think Cameron did write an effective arc for his character, even if it was well-worn. I do think audiences and critics responded well to that. Everyone wants to see their characters change and grow, even if it's in very predictable ways. But I'd argue that Sam has that growth. He basically grows up in Legacy. I think he's sort of stuck at the beginning as this sort of man-boy. He's living in a crate, his main companion is a dog, and he's pulling stupid stunts. By the end he's ready to run the company.

The thing is he's still very likable. In Avatar, Jake is kind of an ass. I mean, he seems like he has a good heart but he does some pretty deplorable things for selfish reasons. I think people like seeing him redeemed. With Sam he just goes from a nice, directionless guy unable to deal with the loss of his father to a nice, driven guy who is at peace with his father. It's a bit more subtle. I don't think that's bad, it's just not the big arc that Avatar had.

I saw Avatar in theaters three times, actually. So I'm definitely a fan. I think what it had that mainstream audiences really respond to is a love story. Audiences LOVE a love story. They are suckers for it. All Legacy had was a fairly chaste start of a friendship between Sam and Quorra. I actually found this refreshing. For one thing something about a love story between Sam and Quorra strikes me as a bit icky. Maybe because Quorra seems so innocent. But by the end I could be warmed up to it for a sequel.

Also, Avatar really wore it's message on it's sleeve. It practically screamed it at times and it was fairly simplistic. So it was easy for people to discuss on a "deeper" level. Legacy's "big ideas" are more abstract and their presentation is more muddled. And they are really more in the background of this more personal story between father and son. So I think it requires more thought than most audiences and critics are willing to give it.

So, while I like Legacy for what it is, and I actually think it's the better movies because it's slightly more reserved, I can also see why it wasn't the big break-out hit like Avatar was.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

Discuss it on tron-sector.com here.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY