New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Boni
User

Tron 2.0. on Windows Vista

on Friday, April, 01, 2011 3:54 PM
Hi, I'm having a trouble trying to play Tron 2.0

First: My OS is Vista, 32bits, SP2.

I installed the game, and then the patch to play with Vista. The game carried on amazingly. I play half of the game, and then turned it of because I was too tired.

Next day I tried to play the game again and I was surprised when the game didn't load. All I had was a black screen with the windows cursor "loading".

I re-installed the game hoping it would fix it... but when I got it done, I receive a new message while lauching the game: a window saying something about an error with "the Lilitech.exe file" so the window would be closed.

Since then I can't play Tron 2.0 again. I just don't understand what happened.

I tried to lauch it with administrator permission, with XP compatibility, new patch, dozens of re-installation. I don't know what to do anymore... I know there's some place here in this forum where someone made a similar question, but I just can't find it anymore, so, sorry if it's against the rules...

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

RE: Tron 2.0. on Windows Vista

on Friday, April, 08, 2011 6:37 PM

Did you try the Unofficial Patch, rather than the Official one? It tends to work a lot better on newer versions of Windows (Vista and 7).

LDSOFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

LaughingOtter
User

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 8:31 AM
I thought it almost ironic that such a multi-platform concept like TRON was reduced to "you must have DirectX this and this particular video card" for TRON 2.0. No wonder this game tanked. Really looked forward to playing it too. Still have the bloody thing and can't get it to run with either patch.

Thanks for creating a total piece of crap, Buena Vista. Hope a lot of you got fired for this.

Programming is a lot like pinball, actually. The reward for doing it well is the opportunity to do it again.

Icon57
User

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 9:13 AM
LaughingOtter Wrote:Thanks for creating a total piece of crap, Buena Vista. Hope a lot of you got fired for this.

I doubt they got fired, but some people probably lost their jobs. The game isn't screwed with forwards compatibility because the developers or the game sucked (in fact it tended to review well), it's because there was such a small install base (aka it tanked in sales) there was no financially viable way to support it after release more than a couple of years.

Incidentally, I installed it on Vista, played it in Compatibility Mode with Windows XP SP2, and ran the executable as an administrator, and it worked great.

KEEP THE LEGACY ALIVE -- TR3N LIVES
http://tr3nlives.com

View the thread: http://www.tron-sector.com/forums/default.aspx?a=top&id=401026
Development blog and more: http://spillwaybrain.wordpress.com

LaughingOtter
User

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 11:11 AM
OK, that was a bit pessimistic for a first posting, wasn't it? Sorry about that. But still...
I will try your suggestions, Icon57. Thank you for those!
Maybe Vista has settled down enough that it'll finally work.where to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

Programming is a lot like pinball, actually. The reward for doing it well is the opportunity to do it again.

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 2:16 PM

LaughingOtter Wrote:
I thought it almost ironic that such a multi-platform concept like TRON was reduced to "you must have DirectX this and this particular video card" for TRON 2.0. No wonder this game tanked. Really looked forward to playing it too. Still have the bloody thing and can't get it to run with either patch.

Thanks for creating a total piece of crap, Buena Vista. Hope a lot of you got fired for this.

You'd have to have an extreme dinosaur of a computer with a crappy integrated video chip to not be able to run Tron 2.0. It should run on practically any computer built in the last few years, easily. It also runs on Vista and Windows 7 without much difficulty.

If you watch the video in this post, it should help you get the game up and running. If not, try reading this. A lot of it still applies to a Tron 2.0 vanilla install, without the mod.

The game was hardly crap, and your bad experience with installing it doesn't make it so. The only reason it "tanked" is because it was poorly marketed and supported. Disney expected the game to sell itself, and barely put any effort into getting the word out that it existed.

Tron Evolution also tanked on every platform it was released on, only this time you couldn't use the excuse that it was poorly marketed. It even had the sequel to back it up.

LaughingOtter
User

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 7:39 PM
No, I wasn't saying the game was crap. Every screenshot and walkthrough picture made me want to play it all the more!

I'm just saying that because of the extreme difficulty of the install (I bought the game when it was brand new) it got to be frustrating to the point of "why the foosh did I even get this?!?". The install and requirements were crap, as that version of DirectX was already old when it was released and the installer wanted the older version of DirectX.

I will read what you have posted and try it again.

I was tempted to compare it to 7th Level's Monty Python's Complete Waste Of Time. Remember that one? They released more than 100,000 copies in the first release that had a faulty installer and so they had to redo the whole thing. I imagine the software shops got tired of the returns very quickly. 'The Holy Grail' they got right. Then Panasonic took over for "Meaning Of Life" and that had a fatal bug towards the end which meant that unless you cheated by using the console, you would never reach the end of the game.

On the other hand, 15-year old CGA/EGA/VGA-based software that was developed by Edmark (where I had the honor of working years ago) still works on Windows 7. Now that's well-made software.

I guess I was just frustrated, given the budget that Buena Vista probably had for this game.abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

TRON.dll
User

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 8:26 PM
LaughingOtter Wrote:I guess I was just frustrated, given the budget that Buena Vista probably had for this game.

Actually, the game was created by Monolith productions, who is known for F.E.A.R. and No One Lives Forever.

I was also able to install and run Tron 2.0 fine with no problems on Vista. One thing to keep in mind though: You need to launch the game at least once (for Vista/7 users, it needs to be in administrator mode) before installing any patches. This is because the patches require a file that is created once the game is launched for the first time. On Vista and 7, the file won't be able to be created unless the game is being run in administrator mode.

If you're having trouble with the installer on Vista or 7, go into the disc in Windows Explorer and right click the installer application. Go to properties > compatibility and check the run in administrator mode box. Then run the autorun application and attempt installing again.order abortion pill http://unclejohnsprojects.com/template/default.aspx?morning-after-pill-price where to buy abortion pill

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

LaughingOtter
User

on Wednesday, May, 25, 2011 9:38 PM
What? The same Monolith who did Blood way back when? You'd think they'd've known better being a Western Washington business!
This just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

Do you think there could be a digital Philip Marlowe with a trenchcoat and all? Mean streets and everything?
I'm liking this idea...

TronFAQ
Sector Admin

on Thursday, May, 26, 2011 2:22 PM

@LaughingOtter: It's true that the version of DirectX that comes on the Tron 2.0 CDs was out of date, even then. But that applied to a lot of games released around that time. You can't hold that against Tron 2.0, because it's in no way unique when it comes to that.

Besides, the way DirectX installers are supposed to work is that if you have a newer version of DX: they see that and then do nothing. Your newer version of DX doesn't get replaced by the older one on the disc.

The requirements for the game back in the day were actually pretty mild. 500 Mhz processor, 256 MB RAM, 32 MB video card/chip with T&L. The card/chip didn't even have to be DX9 capable, DX8 would do. You just needed the DX9 software installed, which came on the disc if you didn't already have a newer version. And those specs were already out of date in 2003. I had a 2 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, and a 128 MB video card and they were pretty commonplace at that time, if perhaps costing a bit more.

The one thing I will grant you: when the final patch was released, at first it required you to own Windows XP which was pretty new at the time. The patch was paid for, in part, by Microsoft. So it was artificially restricted to work on XP only, to try and "encourage" you to update to XP. This was a scummy move on the part of Disney/Buena Vista and Microsoft.

abortion pills online abortion pill online purchase cytotec abortion

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  Tron 2.0 
 Tron 2.0. on Windows Vista