Good cycle programs and users
Well, its been a few megacycles since my last post, so I calculated it was about time to update the thread.
Overall progress has been a bit slower than I'd like, but there have been many factors that have dictated the progress rate. However, where there has been opportunities to advance the build, I have done so with much enthusiasm.
Here is where I'm at now with the prototype:
...and backlit with the EL panel:
I've decided to change resins due to all those tiny bubbles that appear as it cures. The max work time I have with the current resin is 2.5 mins in cold conditions, just not enough time for anything but mix, and pour.
Unfortunately I don't have a pressure chamber I can stick it in to prevent that from happening, but I found a great resin that should produce much better results, plus the working time is half an hour, plenty for degassing and other techniques for removing bubbles
I have to change silicone mould rubber type as well though as it doesn't like RTV, so addition cure it is.
Here is my current mould set-up, though I'll be making a new one with the new silicone, and incorporating it into a centrifuge rig I'm making for it:
The bands in the current mould are poured by hand first and allowed to go green (a stage before curing fully while the resin is still slightly soft) before pouring in the tinted clear resin to fill the rest of the cavity. The problem with the current method is that its very hard to not overshoot the band edges and messing them up. With the centrifuge system I'm making I'll have total control over the motor speed. My theory is, I can pour the resin carefully at the inside wall of each band at low speed, then ramp it up slowly so the resin is encouraged to meet the outside wall edge, at which point the motor is left at that setting until the resin has gone green, and I can move on to the next one.
The other advantage to a centrifuge is the angle at which the bands are around the rim of the disc wont be a problem, plus I'm making it so the whole thing can be tilted and set at the correct angle for easy pouring for the more vertical bands.
I'll be moulding the lens for it once the centrifuge is made and the first of the new resin type discs is cast, but that's as far as I'll be able to go until my 3D designer is free from more pressing issues. The back of the disc is still WIP and hasn't been machined yet as we changed the design so a costume holder could be incorporated into it.
It will also have a simple circuit embedded in it so the power sources is automatically switched from the disc to the costume holder to increase its total "on" time.
Well that concludes the update for now, any questions, comments, suggestions are welcome.
End of line.....
why men have affairs read here website