Re: Mrs Flynn....

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
EXODUS
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2012 3:56 PM
Here's an interesting thought that occured to me the other day:

In the sequance where we see the news broadcast about Flynn's dissapearance, he clearly mentions "the untimely death of Flynn's WIFE". (although her names not mentioned).
And yet, in Betrayal, she is frequently refered to has Jordan Calver (even by Kevin-him rushing into the hospital looking for her is a good example of that), and not Jordan Flynn.

So when did they get married?

Obviously it would have to have been at some point between 1982-when Sam was born-to her death in 1985.
But more information would be good...

J
User

RE: Re: Mrs Flynn....

on Thursday, September, 13, 2012 5:07 PM
Canas. And while it wasn't common for a woman to keep her maiden name after marriage in the early 80's, it wasn't unheard of, especially among 2nd wave feminists.

Private headcanon (I use it in "Through a Diamond Sky") on the matter says she was divorced, went through the legal trouble to change her name back, and would not go through that again. Flynn's an easy-going enough guy to not push the matter.

It's an entire universe in there, one we created, but it's beyond us now. Really. It's outgrown us. You know, every time you shut off your computer...do you know what you're doing? Have you ever reformatted a hard drive? Deleted old software? Destroyed an entire universe?"

-- Jet Bradley, Tron: Ghost in the Machine on why being a User isn't necessarily a good thing.

Kat
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2012 10:21 PM
In T:B, she's referred to as his wife (the part where Lora is telling Flynn she's moving, his secretary calls and says "your wife is on the phone."). Also, he's drawn as wearing a wedding ring-- very prominently as they made sure to put it in even in scenes where his hands are very small; guess Disney could only take so much scandal in the Kevin/Jordan relationship-- though I realize (from personal experience) that you don't necessarily need to be married to wear a ring. Though I notice that in the Grid scenes, he doesn't seem to be wearing it, which may be proof that jewelry doesn't rez in with you (gosh I'd miss my piercings). But he is still wearing it even after Jordan dies.

(Yet she's still referred to as "Miss" throughout, which confuses me, because I've never heard of a married woman being called "Miss" even if she keeps her name. But, so is Lora-- although I guess we are never actually told in either T:B or T:L that she and Alan are married, right?)

I had wondered at the odds that two women in a row would opt to not change their names-- I didn't think that became widespread until more recently and even now it's rare-- but then again, like J, I've written about it, and in my version (Blindside), Lora and Jordan are best friends so they might see eye-to-eye on that issue (and while Lora doesn't change hers for professional reasons, we're not sure about Jordan, so I simply made it her preference; in fact, they even decide the baby will have her name and I imagine it just gets changed after she dies so father and son match)-- and, Jordan's as much of a free spirit as Flynn is, so it makes sense that she might not want to change. I could see her being the type who's of the opinion that "this is the name I've had all my life; why would I change my identity??"

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

MCPcomputer
User

on Thursday, September, 13, 2012 11:29 PM

Wow that is very interesting indeed...
i never knew what he name was!

In the words of Walter Interesting interesting!

"I want him in the games until he dies playing" -MCP
Great Tron 3 blog, with news links and artwork
http://tron3movie.blogspot.com/

EXODUS
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2012 7:00 AM
Sorry, I meant CANAS, not Calver.

I was listening to the TV when I was typing that, and I must have picked it up from there without relising it.
Also, I never noticed the his wedding ring before! Well done for spotting such details.

Kat
User

on Friday, September, 14, 2012 7:19 AM
I never could figure out, btw, what sort of name Canas might be, so I made her Greek because that's the closest I could come with a guess.

(And I'm pretty sure I ever even noticed the wedding ring in the first place because I had the same question-- between both women keeping their names AND being called "Miss," it would almost imply that neither set is married, yet it's clearly stated that at least Flynn/Jordan are. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember posting about my confusion somewhere, but I haven't a clue where.)

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY