TRON: LEGACY 
 "Do you know it...?"

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Moses613
User

"Do you know it...?"

on Friday, September, 14, 2012 10:51 PM
Quorra asks Sam this question as he looks upon a game of go and the traditional table it's played on as he gets the quick tour of Flynn's safehouse.

Soooo...*do* you know it? Ever played go or had an interest in it? It is true, as I am just a beginning player myself, that patience will almost always win out over a "more aggressive strategy". I guess I had always been curious about the game so I finally got it in gear and went to a local Asian Federation office/library to join about four other regular players from whom I am now learning the game. The club has maybe 6-8 members in total, five of whom show on a regular meeting night. Only one of them is Asian and he's capable of handing any of the westerners their ASS at the game. Since the game is not very well known in the west, Asians will no doubt enjoy a sizeable lead in skill at go. Just as you can pretty much count on loosing a game of chess to a Russian....it's the same for an Asian player or go vs. a westerner.

The game involves surrounding and capturing both turf and your opponent's pieces as well as keeping the same from happening to you, if I had to put it into one sentence. Of course if it was that simple, the basic beginner's guide and mini-bible, titled "Way to Go" wouldn't be 30 pages long. It's available for free in PDF all over the net. But none the less, it's nothing to be too scared to learn; it's learning curve is about the same as chess. If you're expecting to pick it up quickly, you won't. It can be a hard game to learn though it is pleasant to do so. It can take about 100 games for you to stand a chance against an intermediate player. And there is indeed a certain zen aspect to the game.

And as I write this, one other thing about the sheer GENIUS of T:L just hit me: Go is played on a GRID, a ruled board that is usually 19x19 lines, and to boot, computers can't really play it. No worthwhile go program has ever been written to date. You have to play real players or not at all pretty much. So even though it's played on a grid, you still have to in some way connect to another human in order to play it. I LOVE things like that about T:L. on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

TRON.dll
User

RE: "Do you know it...?"

on Saturday, September, 15, 2012 2:49 AM
Played/learned it last year at a Japanese culture festival at my local community college. Pretty interesting game, though what intrigued me the most was that nobody has been able to successfully create a computer program that can play the game decently enough to beat professional players.

EDIT: He was teaching a computer program to play Go. I get it.

TRON 2.0 (PC) name - TRON.dll
I'll play any mode, but I'm best at LC.

PSN - TRON-dll
XBOX Live/Games for Windows Live - TRONdll
-I have a Wii, DS, and 3DS. PM me to exchange friend codes.

Kat
User

on Saturday, September, 15, 2012 11:22 AM
TRON.dll Wrote:EDIT: He was teaching a computer program to play Go. I get it.

Yes, someone else had brought that up, that Q says Flynn always wins. Although--does she say he always does, or "usually" he does? I can't remember.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Murdock.dat
User

on Saturday, September, 15, 2012 3:44 PM
Q: "His patience usually beats out my more... aggressive strategy."

@Moses - Good post, program. Thank you for broadening my horizons. Every time I've watched that scene, I always thought they were playing Othello.

Good intro video I came across:

http://youtu.be/gECcsSeRcNo

"On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy."

Moses613
User

on Monday, September, 17, 2012 5:59 PM
Thanks. It should have hit me first that the fact they're playing go is not significant bc Flynn is into the Asian/zen philosophy thing, but also because it's played on a grid, against a program of sorts (Quorra), though she may never be able to play a consistently good game since a program, at least in our world as it stands, can't really play go. Which brings to mind

Wikipedia has a good article on the game, and YT has several good tutorial videos. Of course you can play online but you'd be better off going to your local Asian federation or maybe Meetup.com to find other players or at least one who wants to teach you. It may only be Asian men or women who play in your area, but so what? I'm sure they'd be flattered by your wanting to learn. And remember, it happens to be mostly anglo guys who show up at and play at the club I go to in Charlotte, NC. Maybe that's BC many Asians who play around here do so at home. Who knows?

Mainly, download Way To Go, the seminal free introductory work on the subject and see if this fascinating game may be for you. One of the two Laskers (I think it was Emmanuel) who was a chess master, was a huge proponent of go once he was introduced to it, and started the first stateside go club. He loved chess but recognized that it had a fatal flaw at the professional level, which is that when masters play in tournaments, it's all to easy for them to purposely force games to end in stalemates and draws, which they do all the time. I'm guessing go doesn't have that problem.

And FWIW, Othello is a very cool game in itself. I play that all the time too. The converse is true about Othello though; it is very easy for a computer to beat a human player at Othello, so much so that it can be tough to dumb the machine down enough to give the human player any chance of winning. on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill online

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 "Do you know it...?"