Forums (I/O Tower)
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY 
 Futurama's jab at this movie: Can someone explain?

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
Tron 3.0
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 7:34 PM
I've returned from a long absence with a question:

As some of you remember, there was an episode of Futurama from the most recent season where Leela and Fry make a really weird and mean-spriited jab at Tron Legacy, with Fry saying something about hunting down and destroying every copy of that movie before Leela cuts him off. I must ask: what's the joke? The movie wasn't THAT BAD, at least IMO. Hell, I actually loved it. That aside, looking at this exchange from a joke perspective, it really made no sense. I mean the way it was said was kinda awkward and, again, particularly mean towards everyone who put so much effort into that movie!

I'm sorry if this has been discussed on here elsewhere, but I couldn't find any other topics on this matter on the search engine here and I'd be grateful if someone could elaborate on what was the point of that joke. If it was just that Futurama's creator Matt Groening hated the movie, that's one thing. But, come one, wanting to destroy every copy of it? That's a comment I'd normally see aimed at a Friedberg and Seltzer "spoof" movie, not something like this! Futurama even made a really awesome reference to the original movie's lightcycle scene the season before this, so what was even the hell? I've linked a clip to the joke in question below, so, again, if anyone can clear this up for me I'd be very thankful.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UynnibU-U8abortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

"You won, ok? IT'S JUST A GAME!!!"

"...not anymore..."

THE GAME HAS CHANGED

Tron Legacy- In Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3-D December 17, 2010!!!!!!!!

PSN: halo101

Stemage
User

RE: Futurama's jab at this movie: Can someone explain?

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 7:56 PM
I think some people just can't get past the idea of their little baby getting rewired with a new coat of paint. I feel like this is just another example of some jaded old fans getting a chance to take a little jab at it. That seems to be the crux of a lot of adult cartoon humor anyway.

I enjoyed Legacy, but I have a lot of older friends that did not. When old properties get "reenvisioned", lots of the OG fans like to moan about it. I'm a big horror guy as well, and I can't think of a genre that gets rebooted more than old horror movies. I was pretty butthurt when a reboot of Fright Night was announced. Even though it had little to do with the original re: story, feel, and aesthetics, it turned out to be quite fun! And guess what, IT DOESN'T CHANGE A THING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL. I feel the same way about Legacy.

I'm still bothered as hell about the Evil Dead reboot, but hey - it might be fun. But even if it is, there will still be people like the Futurama guys to make fun of it no matter what.

Tron 3.0
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 8:05 PM
Stemage Wrote:I think some people just can't get past the idea of their little baby getting rewired with a new coat of paint. I feel like this is just another example of some jaded old fans getting a chance to take a little jab at it. That seems to be the crux of a lot of adult cartoon humor anyway.

I enjoyed Legacy, but I have a lot of older friends that did not. When old properties get "reenvisioned", lots of the OG fans like to moan about it. I'm a big horror guy as well, and I can't think of a genre that gets rebooted more than old horror movies. I was pretty butthurt when a reboot of Fright Night was announced. Even though it had little to do with the original re: story, feel, and aesthetics, it turned out to be quite fun! And guess what, IT DOESN'T CHANGE A THING ABOUT THE ORIGINAL. I feel the same way about Legacy.

I'm still bothered as hell about the Evil Dead reboot, but hey - it might be fun. But even if it is, there will still be people like the Futurama guys to make fun of it no matter what.

That's quite understandable, but for me, I was never like that with Tron Legacy or even with Tron Uprising. When Legacy was first revealed at SDCC 2008, I was all for it because I would love to see that series get a fresh coat of pain in terms of CGI technology with today's effects. And from that first glimpse onwards, it was like a dream come true for me as a fan! It didn't just continue to flourish in the use of CGI that the original pioneered; like Avatar, it exceeded the potential I dreamed of in regards to today's advances in computer animation technology! And it had a great Bioshock-esque story to boot! So for that kind of a comment to be made about the movie from a show like Futurama (Which I do like, btw) that has shown to respect the original that came before it.....it just was a little weird and baffling. That's all.

"You won, ok? IT'S JUST A GAME!!!"

"...not anymore..."

THE GAME HAS CHANGED

Tron Legacy- In Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3-D December 17, 2010!!!!!!!!

PSN: halo101

Kat
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 8:11 PM
I once heard a radio host refer to "Tron: Legacy, the unwatchable."

My only thought was, "even if you're not a fan, you canNOT tell me you can't think of a lot of movies that have come out recently that are TONS worse..."

Honestly, I can't see what's to dislike (and I can be very critical of stuff, movies included). It might not be your cup of tea and so you might not actively like it, but to say it was horrible? Hardly. Except for stuff we nitpick here, the storyline mostly made sense; the acting wasn't awful; it had good action scenes; it had fun CGI; the score was nifty; it had eye-candy. So what, exactly, was the problem?

Discrepancies from the original? Sure, but that's a fan nitpick, not something the general public would find fault with, since most of them probably hadn't even seen the original; hell, some might not even know it WAS a sequel.

What do you want? I'm busy.

Program, please!

Chaos.... good news.

Honda Enoch
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 8:19 PM
I normally do not watch an animated series based off the movies. (ie: The clone wars). I was not planning to watch Uprising, but decided to give it a chance to see the story and since it had ended I could download them all and watch them.

I remember when I first saw a preview for Legacy. My wife and I were in the theater about to watch something. I saw the first 3 seconds of the Legacy trailer. No "tron" images, no "grid" nothing had been shown to indicate Tron at all, but the sound, and I KNEW what it was. I couldn't wait. IMO it was a sequel that was done right. Can't wait for the 3rd.

I agree with Stemage. Some fans just don't like reboots or sequels.

My other ride is a Light Cycle.

BanditTron
User

on Tuesday, March, 19, 2013 11:00 PM
I haven't watched Futurama since they made that joke...seriously! I watched it all the time then they crossed the line so no more support from this User!

LucrataNexarii
User

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 2:19 AM
In honesty, I have not watched Futurama for a long time, period.

... Had I encountered an attempted joke or strike of that acrid nature, I'd be apt to follow suit with your actions. I especially don't agree with a mean-spirited direction in such media.

Letters sent to Disney: 7
Let them hear 'Tron lives!!'

Java
User

on Wednesday, March, 20, 2013 10:09 AM
I hate to say it, but it's just Fry being Fry. Leela mentions an opinion on something and Fry over zealously jumps onboard. It's hardly a joke. It's like whenever Family Guy wants to comment on Barbara Steisand having a big nose. There's no joke, they're just stating something they claim is a fact.

It's kind of the main reason I've stopped watching television. Why waste my time listening to people make humorless references to pop culture when I can actually be entertained by watching a movie…like, TRON: Legacy!

END OF LINE.

BigE73
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 3:35 PM
Just a thought on this; I simply think Matt Groening is not a tron fan at all.

in the Simpsons episode, Treehouse of Horror VI, they take a jab at tron too.

Not the original video, but the original audio is in this youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfFfHP8zmQY

where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

I can probably make make that, Just ask.

Java
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 4:49 PM
how sad, well. His loss

END OF LINE.

Rectify
User

on Thursday, March, 21, 2013 8:03 PM
For some reason, that clip doesn't offend me, even the Legacy geek that I am. The jab to Legacy in an episode of Big Bang Theory was slightly more hurtful, but I wouldn't call either one "mean," exactly. The movie's score on metacritic is almost exactly down the middle ... most everyone either loves it or hates it. To me, Legacy was an IMAX 3D experience like no other. where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill online

LORD_Z3DD
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 12:24 AM
BigE73 Wrote:Just a thought on this; I simply think Matt Groening is not a tron fan at all.

in the Simpsons episode, Treehouse of Horror VI, they take a jab at tron too.

Not the original video, but the original audio is in this youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfFfHP8zmQY

NOPE, that joke is just a playful jab at the fact that everyone loved CGI animation in the 90s, and few people had watched TRON, the movie that started it all.

Yes, that futurama joke was stupid, but they can't all be goodorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

BigE73
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 10:06 AM
LORD_Z3DD Wrote:NOPE, that joke is just a playful jab at the fact that everyone loved CGI animation in the 90s, and few people had watched TRON, the movie that started it all.

I could buy that logic, if it wasn't for the fact that Chief Wiggam first says no, then, on the next go around, says "yes", and then quickly says "I mean, no", like implying it's an uncool thing to admit that you've seen Tron.

Hell, An old friend of mine quickly wore out his VHS copy of Tron, he watched it like every other day. can't say that I blame him.

1982program
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 10:44 AM
Let's face it guys, Tron series & Tron fans are the black sheep of the sci-fi world. Don't you feel that way? We are the underdogs. We are lucky to get media coverage, our "parent company" Disney doesn't seem to fully support us....yet there we are.

If Thor 2: The Reckoning is coming out the same year as Tron 3, it will get more exposure and backing from sci-fi / comic mainstream. But, Tron....quietly....will eventually outperform whatever "flash-in-the-pan" franchise is on everyone's radar at the moment. Twenty years from now, people will still be talking about the Tron series, regardless if any new movie is made.

I don't mind the underdog status, I kinda like it.

LORD_Z3DD
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 10:51 AM
BigE73 Wrote:

I could buy that logic, if it wasn't for the fact that Chief Wiggam first says no, then, on the next go around, says "yes", and then quickly says "I mean, no", like implying it's an uncool thing to admit that you've seen Tron.

No, all that joke is imploying is that the Chieff is either a dumbass or wasn't paying attention .

If they really implied there is something uncool about tron he would had said "yes" and then after everyone said "no" he would had said the same .

And really, it's a little stupid to get all butthurt because some writer doesn't like our favorite movie , don't you think?
where to buy abortion pill abortion types buy abortion pill onlineabortion pills online abortion questions cytotec abortion

BigE73
User

on Saturday, March, 23, 2013 11:53 AM
Can't say that I'm disturbed by anyone's opinion of the film. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I'm just explaining what I took from it. Considering that it seems the only characters from that episode that have seen Tron are Homer and Chief Wiggam (the two "stupid" characters) it seems to imply that only the stupid people would have seen it, while everyone else didn't give it a chance, or just don't remember watching it.

Seems like a dig on Tron to me. Not that I could care if people don't like the film, but if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... you know the rest.

Honestly, I like Futurama, not so much the Simpsons anymore, as after so many seasons, it just got old for me.

I can take a joke, trust me. You read too much into my opinion on the subject at hand. I believe Groening is simply not a tron fan. Simple as that, and he's free to love it or hate it in that regard.

I tend to side with 82's opinion that the Tron franchise is viewed as the red-headed stepchild of sci-fi, which is no problem with me, since I'm into all kinds of bad Sci-Fi films, although I think many folks don't give the Tron films enough credit, since in many ways, the film was ahead of it's time, and the sequel was way better than many like to admit. In several aspects, Legacy was superior to the original in my opinion (plot was less confusing, VFX were great,, etc) all done without totally trashing film cannon for fans, yet appealing for a wider audience at the same time.

Still, some people just don't like it for an array of reasons. No skin off my nose, as I have a 3D Bluray of Legacy, Fry didn't destroy it, soooo......

Hell, I liked John Carter too (But I was a fan of the Mars stories from Edgar Rice Burroughs as well; It's an aquired taste I suppose)

Overmind
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 6:25 AM
This "joke" just fails.
See.. I wholehartedly hate Titanic, but I would never say it is a bad movie. From the bottom of my soul I hate TMNT. My guts hurt whenever I se some clips or when anybody endorses it. But I would never ever say it is a bad movie. For that "joke" to work they must target a film where there is an universal agrement that the film sucks. TRON is just not in that targeted area, whatever anyone might think of that franchise.
If I were to pick a movie to hunt Down any copy of it would be X-men 3

---------------------------------------------
That would be all!

Honda Enoch
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 2:37 PM
Overmind Wrote:This "joke" just fails.
See.. I wholehartedly hate Titanic, but I would never say it is a bad movie. From the bottom of my soul I hate TMNT. My guts hurt whenever I se some clips or when anybody endorses it. But I would never ever say it is a bad movie. For that "joke" to work they must target a film where there is an universal agrement that the film sucks. TRON is just not in that targeted area, whatever anyone might think of that franchise.

A TRON fan that hates TMNT?????????? MADNESS.

How do you feel about Transformeres, Ghostbusters, Back the the Future,?on line abortion pill misoprostol dose abortion medical abortion pill onlineorder abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pillwhere to buy abortion pill http://blog.bitimpulse.com/template/default.aspx?abortion-types buy abortion pill online

My other ride is a Light Cycle.

BountyHunter
User

on Wednesday, March, 27, 2013 4:42 PM
BanditTron Wrote:I haven't watched Futurama since they made that joke...seriously! I watched it all the time then they crossed the line so no more support from this User!

Really now? Come on. I think you guys are getting a little carried away with this.

Fact of the matter is, unless you are a TRON fan, Legacy was pretty much a mess. My girlfriend went with me, and had NO clue what was going on. Same with a lot of other people I know. Oh, it looked pretty and the action scenes were great, but NO clue what was going on with the story. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the film, but I've been a TRON fan for a long time.)

Futurama was poking some good-natured fun at the film. By its very nature, you aren't supposed to take the show seriously, so why start now? I laughed when I saw that scene. It was hilarious.

Of course, I got the joke.order abortion pill abortion pill buy online where to buy abortion pill

Overmind
User

on Thursday, March, 28, 2013 1:31 AM
Honda Enoch Wrote:
Overmind Wrote:This "joke" just fails.

A TRON fan that hates TMNT?????????? MADNESS.

How do you feel about Transformeres, Ghostbusters, Back the the Future,?

I grew up in the 80's so I love all those But I could never like TMNT. Its just the way it is, some likes the mother, others prefer the daughter But I would never claim it is a bad franchise.

BOUNTY: They had a variation of that same joke on the Big Bang Theory. It was even more missplaced there.

---------------------------------------------
That would be all!

Page: of 2 PagesNextLast
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON: LEGACY