TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade 
 To DIY or to buy....that is the question

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Falty
User

on Wednesday, June, 19, 2013 2:15 PM
So I've been given the approval from the lady of the house to shoehorn another arcade machine in the house. Having been a huge fan of Tron it seems logical that I would have the machine. After scouring the netz for a feasible deal they have eluded me. The one's for a decent price are either in shambles or nowhere near me.

One of my requirements is to have a machine that looks as good as it plays. So...options? either pay through the nose for a prestine machine, refurbish one and construct a new cabinet and with PhoenixArcade prints, or build it from scratch and source the parts as they become available.

What do you think?

brettbutler
User

RE: To DIY or to buy....that is the question

on Friday, June, 21, 2013 11:06 PM
sounds familiar...

you've definitely overcome the biggest hurdle, which of course, is to get the better half to buy-in on the venture

here's some possibly useless options...
a) an original 'A' perfect machine will be low probability of finding, and if so, very pricy. (exceptions do happen)

b) an original 'B/C' grade machine (not local - have to pay for shipping) is very common, overpriced, but there's variability in the price range, and folks can be talked down.

c) an original 'B/C' grade machine (local) may be less common, meaning you could be waiting a year for it to pop-up within driving distance (1-3 hours away?). This could be a lower price than (b), as you can call the person, meet in person, and probably lower price.

d) an original 'D/F' grade machine means a repair job that could cost (in the end) almost as much as a 'B/C' machine.

e) buy custom built 'A' perfect machine will be pricy, but the better-half will approve of its appearance, and you can count on it working & impressing you and friends as a visual work of art. this also is available to you as fast as you can buy/ship it.

f) build your own. this could take up to a year, a lots of folks end up shelving the project due to lack of personal time (between work, wife, kids, family, holidays, travel, vacation, sick-time, missing parts, price, space to store parts inside air-conditioning, etc...). But if done, what a satisfying accomplishments you & all will enjoy, and you'll eventually sell for hopefully as much as you paid

for me... i'm custom building an environmental discs of tron (edot). but haven't dropped that bombshell on my wife yet.

good luck.
bb

Falty
User

A new twist on something old

on Wednesday, June, 26, 2013 2:00 AM
Thanks, Brett. I've decided to try something out as there are also thoughts of getting a Discs of Tron arcade, at some point. So in keeping with the theme of of the DOT machine's lenticular marquee I thought whichever machine I get, DIY or authentic Tron, I could use a cool lenticular marquee.

Here's a mockup:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58227856/tron%20marquee.mp4where to buy abortion pill ordering abortion pills to be shipped to house buy abortion pill online

Falty
User

RE: To DIY or to buy....that is the question

on Thursday, April, 14, 2016 5:31 PM
Finally an update!  I have the approval, Mancave, and time.  Sourced some parts and decided to go with the DIY route.  discovered a guy with design plans and a CNC router.  $400 gets me a new cabinet

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
 TRON and Discs of TRON Arcade