General Discussion 
 RE: Tron 30th Anniversary.

New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
EXODUS
User

on Tuesday, November, 11, 2014 7:48 AM
About two years ago I remember someone once asking why it is that the 30th Anniversary of the original Tron film wasn't really being recognised by the media and public has much as it should.
All I've found was that there was a special screening at the Chinese theatre in Hollywood that year (which looks GREAT by the way  ) but I've not really found anything else (such has magazine articles) on this (not even a DVD release).

I was thinking about this, and seeing how this is 2014 I thought I'd see what was happing with other iconic 80's films released in 1984, who are also celebrating their 30th Anniversary this year, in particular Gremlins, The Never-Ending Story and Ghostbusters (probably one of the greatest films of that decade  )

From what I've seen so far these films seem to have slightly more of a fanfare about it then Tron has for some reason.

We'll start with Gremlins-the film was released on 8th June 1984, and looking around there's been very little mention of this in the entertainment sector.
A 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray edition was released in September, and some buzz online but I've not read anything big about it in any newspapers besides this DVD release.

Then there's The Never-Ending Story (released 6th April 1984). Interestingly enough, this HAS had some acknowledgement, with a 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray Special Edition being released this year, which has a digitally remastered version of the film and some new special features (mostly documentries).
But even then that's pretty much has far as it goes with this Blu-ray DVD, and not much else besides.

And has for the massive cult film Ghostbusters Wikipedia says this:

''Sony reissued the film for a limited time in a remastered 4k version just ahead of the 2014 Labor Day weekend for its 30th anniversary. Originally a one week re-release it ran for two weeks ending on September 11, 2014''.

There's been a travelling art display doing a tour, whilst most of the original cast has appeared on the cover of Entertainment Weekly:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2822318/Ghostbusters-stars-Bill-Murray-Dan-Akroyd-Sigourney-Weaver-Ernie-Hudson-reunite-30th-anniversary-cover-shoot.html

I think it just goes to show that, apart from that special screening the original Tron was one of the few cult 80's film to have it's aniversary somewhat quietly been overshadowed by other films also celebrating there milestones 

Page: of 1 Page
New New Comments | Post No Change | Locked Closed
Forums 
  General Discussion